Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:02 PM EDT
What do y'all think of the CRKT Kasper Companion as an EDC defense knife? I really like the ergonomics and it seems pretty stout, should one need to use it for defense.
Its less than 5 1/2" single edged blade is a legal for carry here in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410708

I would get something a bit simpler.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410708

I would get something a bit simpler.

By "Simpler" do you mean more readily available?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I know different strokes for different folks, but I bet you could find a better knife for edc than that.  It looks like it would not perform as well as some of your other options in everyday tasks.  You figure 99.9999% of the time you will use this knife for normal chores and god forbid you have to use it as a weapon.  That thing looks like a pig sticker.  You might as well get a handgun for self defense and have a knife with as much utility as possible.  It's design does not give me a warm and fuzzy about how it would perform with tasks other than "Slash or stab someone."   Get a ESEE Hest or something.  It looks less scary to your average joe and it would probably be more useful in everyday tasks.  Also that knife seems to be discontinued so the HEST would be an easier find most likely.  That said if this knife tickles some odd fancy and you have to have it then roll with it.  It just does not seem to be an edc type of knife to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a link which claimed the Companion makes a decent EDC for defensive purposes.  But IMO a Buck 110 would provide better utility for day to day cutting chores.  As would many other folders.

CRKT seems to have dropped this model, or at least I couldn't find it on their web site.  I wanted to learn what they sell for these days, as I have one somewhere in my knife box I need to sell anyway.  The ergonomics just didn't suit me.

Paladin

http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/companion.htm
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been carrying the Companion on a Mercharness or IWB rig. I really like it. I'm doing an upgrade to the scales to give it a little better grip.
I also carry a yellow scaled Case slipjoint folder for day to day cutting tasks in a "Sheeple rich environment".
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top