Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:26:45 PM EDT
Hey has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Cobb 50s.  I've done a lot of looking around and there doesn't seem to be much out there.  Also any recommendations for a first 50.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
still waiting for mine
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
When did you place your order? I want to order one soon and I'd like to get an idea of how long of a wait I'm in store for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Some people have expressed concerns about the aluminum receiver with steel inserts, but I don't know of anyone having problems with it.

The AR50 seems to be the most popular entry level gun, and except for the throat, everyone posting on the FCSA forums appears to be happy with it.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The Cobb FA-50 is really an innovative gun. I don't know if I would pay that kind of money for a .50, but it is a very reliable platform. A friend of mine has one and is very impressed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I hopes of keeping the price down I decided to go with a 50BMG Upper half that goes on an AR15 lower.  There are a few out there and they seem to get good reviews.   Personally I decided on the ALS-50.  At the present there is a "9 to 12 month backlog", so I will not be shooting until next Summer.

While I am waiting I have bought a press and will be figuring out which components can be used to make plinking rounds and Match grade rounds, then ordering the components and finally assembling ammo.

I also will build up a dedicated lower for the ALS-50, and just got the stripped lower (a single-shot DPMS unit) yesterday, it has no magazine well.  I thought a 223 magazine well would look silly under the big 50BMG upper.

I also need to decide on a scope for the big rifle.  Investigating scopes from the good but budget priced ($299) Super Sniper to the superb Nightforce scopes ($1,400 ish) and several in between.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hopes of keeping the price down I decided to go with a 50BMG Upper half that goes on an AR15 lower.  There are a few out there and they seem to get good reviews.   Personally I decided on the ALS-50.  At the present there is a "9 to 12 month backlog", so I will not be shooting until next Summer.

While I am waiting I have bought a press and will be figuring out which components can be used to make plinking rounds and Match grade rounds, then ordering the components and finally assembling ammo.

I also will build up a dedicated lower for the ALS-50, and just got the stripped lower (a single-shot DPMS unit) yesterday, it has no magazine well.  I thought a 223 magazine well would look silly under the big 50BMG upper.

I also need to decide on a scope for the big rifle.  Investigating scopes from the good but budget priced ($299) Super Sniper to the superb Nightforce scopes ($1,400 ish) and several in between.

You should enjoy the thing once you get it, just can't believe the guy is taking that damn long now.    Wish he could do it more of a full time thing but it sounds like he's trying to have a life outside of being a shop monkey 24/7.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
im in my second month easy...skip?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
uglygun:  Nice picture.  I hope to be able to have my own ALS-50 'bout next Summer.   Is that a 30MOA taper scope base on your ALS-50?  

imhardcore:  You are a month ahead of me.  Lets hope Darran gets the urge for some expensive Christmas gifts and puts in some extra hours this Fall for extra income, thus we get our toys sooner too!    The long wait is mostly in front of me still.  I bought a 50BMG press and dies, will be scrounging up bullets, primers, brass and powder, then loading some ammo to keep me loosing the last bits of my sanity while waiting.

Scope research has me checking out everything from $300 Super Snipers to $1,500 Nightforce optics, and several in between for the 50BMG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
uglygun:  Nice picture.  I hope to be able to have my own ALS-50 'bout next Summer.   Is that a 30MOA taper scope base on your ALS-50?  

Yep, one day I might grab a 50MOA base to extend the range closer to 2k yards.     With the scope I have on there now I have around 50-55MOA of useable elevation, maybe a touch more.     I plan on getting a Nightforce 5.5-22x for this rifle and that will likely allow me somewhere around 70-80MOA of elevation which should stretch it to almost 2k yards on the dials.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
i ordered mine on 06/27/2005 almost 2 months ago. any way i have a ziess 6x24 for it. i am waiting to see if it evers comes before i buy any other items for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
AZDOG,
I feel bad about hijacking your Cobb50 thread  but I do appreciate the info exchange as to scope base taper (which applies to anyone shooting ANY 50BMG).

I'm in Arizona too, so we should meet one day when we both  have our "big guns" and fling some lead 750 grains at a time.   I'd love to see the Cobb 50 as well.

Are you going to reload for your 50?   I am commited to handloading for it now, having invested in a press and dies.  I hope to load for precision with all new components plus make up some inexpensive loads for fun with pulled & resized bullets, mil surp powder.   I will be looking for other 50BMG shooters when I get mine for matches in the state.  May as well get right too it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got five 50BMG related purchases left I figure.

3 way adjustable buttplate, new trigger, new pistol grip(SPR grip), a seating stem just for the 750grn Amax to use with my RCBS dies(they do make one), and lastly I want a Giraud trimmer so that I can quickly and easily trim 50BMG brass.

Trimming with the Lyman brass trimmer is a PITA, the brass forms a burr that forms over the 50cal. button on the head of the trimmer and it makes it damn hard to retract the cutter head.

I could load 50BMG at a rate of probably 100 per hour or better if I can remove the bothersome trimming problems I face.

Whoever is going to load 50BMG, I do not recommend the Lyman trimmer.    Get the Forster trimmer or go for the Rolls Royce Giraud trimmer.      365 bucks for a trimmer but I figure it is going to save me a ton of time plus I'll buy a conversion kit for doing 5.56x45mm as well which is equally troublesome for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't feel bad at all.  Just looking into what people had to say about them and any other info is good.  Thanks for all the input.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top