Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 10:57:11 AM EDT
I was told that CMP no longer has any M1A parts because about 2 years ago LRB, somehow managed to buy all the remaining M1A parts from CMP?  Does anyone have any info?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The CMP has never sold M1A parts. M1A is a trade mark owned by Springfield Armory Inc. to name their commercial replica of the M14. The CMP used to sell a variety of M14 parts. They sold out a few  years ago. I doubt one entity bought them all. I only purchased what I needed at the time. Like everyone else, I wish I had bought more
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The story I heard was that the military took back all the parts because of the growing use of M14's in Iraq.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is it so hard to have quality parts made nowadays?  Shouldn't technology make it easier to produce bolts, op rods and all the other parts that cost mucho bucks now?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why is it so hard to have quality parts made nowadays?  Shouldn't technology make it easier to produce bolts, op rods and all the other parts that cost mucho bucks now?

Probably has to do with cost vs. demand. Nobody is gonna tool up to make bolts and op-rods if they're only gonna sell a few hundred a year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

hey those cast parts are plenty good
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Different has posted  some time ago that LRB and/or Ron Smith might/will be producing op rods and gas cylinders sometime in the near future.. .and that Ron Smith might be tooling up to make more receivers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
HA HA!

I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably has to do with cost vs. demand. Nobody is gonna tool up to make bolts and op-rods if they're only gonna sell a few hundred a year.

Agreed, it all comes down to how quickly a manufacturer could recover the start up cost and start making a profit.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Different has posted  some time ago that LRB and/or Ron Smith might/will be producing op rods and gas cylinders sometime in the near future.. .and that Ron Smith might be tooling up to make more receivers.

I've spoke with Ron Smith in the last couple months more than once.  Some of this report is likely dated so accept it accordingly, please.  SEI is working on manufacturing USGI specification forged M14 gas cylinders.  Ron also told me that they were ready to cut steel on some billet for M14 receivers.  SEI is very busy with USG contracts (M14 hammer, M16 Vortex, etc.) to fill so their days are full.   I hope to catch up with SEI next month on a trip out to Arizona.  As always, I'll post an update and add the latest information to my book M14 Rifle History and Development.  The Second Edition of the book is slated for the printer this June.

AFAIK, LRB Arms was looking at making operating rods several months ago.  My opinion is that they are working on meeting M14SA and M25 receiver orders presently.  The operating rod project appears to be on the back burner.  JMHO
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hasn't SEI been gettin' ready to make new production receivers for, oh, several years now? I know  certain folks supposedly in the know have been making the claim since at least '01 or '02.

I was convinced many moons ago the only place you're gonna see new production SEI M14 receivers again is down at the local Fantasy Mart, between the unicorns and the perpetual motion machines.

Yeah, you could say I'm  a skeptic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought about 5 of everything M14 related that CMP had years back. I then squirreled them away for a rainy day.....    WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hasn't SEI been gettin' ready to make new production receivers for, oh, several years now? I know  certain folks supposedly in the know have been making the claim since at least '01 or '02.

I was convinced many moons ago the only place you're gonna see new production SEI M14 receivers again is down at the local Fantasy Mart, between the unicorns and the perpetual motion machines.

Yeah, you could say I'm  a skeptic.

Just passing on what I was told by Ron.  I don't make it up.  I spoke with him last on 03/18/06 as a follow up to a 03/09/06 voice mail.  In the 03/09/06 voice mail he told me they are producing billet machined M14 receivers for the military.  The executive summary of the 03/18/06 discussion is at www.m-14forum.com/showthread.php?t=19090&highlight=update

There's other details but I'll leave it at that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The chinese are making repro parts.

The Quality that you get in USGI parts is due to the now deceased mil-spec system.  A lot of people think the mil-spec is the engineering drawing that shows dimensions and tolerance, but it's actually a set of test and inspection requirements.  Making parts using a drawing is dirt cheap, especially in places where skilled labor is virtually free.  Fulfilling all the mil-spec test and inspection requirements is so expensive that even the military can't afford it anymore.

Ty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top