Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 10:00:26 AM EDT
Alright, one more question for all the M1 guru's out there before I pull the trigger on my CMP order.  I've decided that I want to go with a correct grade, but haven't had the time to adequately research the differences between the SA post WW-II and HRA versions.  Right now, I'm leaning toward the HRA just based on the higher price and an email exchange with another owner.  I'm planning on sending in my order tomorrow before I head out of town again and would appreciate any last minute advice, inputs and constructive criticisms on the matter.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go HRA, but that's only because I already have two Springfields.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen it mentioned a few times on the Jouster web site that the Correct SA's seem just a bit nicer that the HR's.

I have two HR Corrects and one SA Correct. My SA is a little nicer than the HA's too.

It's not enough difference to make me order SA if I wanted HR though.

Luck of the draw as always........
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait for it......................

GET BOTH
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's see....one vote for HRA if you already have Springfields, one vote for SA because they are a bit nicer (just looked on Jouster too, thanks!), and one vote for wretched financial excess.  Thanks for helping me make a decision guys!  h.
Any last words of wisdom before I flip a coin and fill out the paperwork?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest one H&R Correct grade, and two SA service grades. That makes 3, you'll be well on your way.
Sorry, but you asked!

Two more cents: Last month I recieved 3 H&R's. One was a collector, the other two were corrects. For the life of me, I could NOT tell any difference. All three gauged at 1 or less for muzzle and throat erosion. The collector might have had a couple less dings, but these rifles seemed virtually new for 50+ year old weapons. Metal finish on all was 99%. It was my first order. Luck of the draw?
If so, GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
After considering buying a Garand for more than a decade, I finally sent off the order form yesterday for a correct grade H&R.  From all I've read on here and elsewhere of people's first hand experience and photos, I believe I'll be happy with either an H&R or SA and in the end, I actually did let a coin toss decide.  While I don't want it to be a safe queen, if it's particularly nice, I doubt I'll want to shoot it much....so I ordered an SA field grade to shoot the hell out of, just in case.  Thanks a lot guys, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future on yet another new breed in the house!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I got both!

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Any reports about a correct grade of one maker being a % better than another is an example of of the wishfull thinking we can get ourselves into when we are hoping for the perfect rifle. If the guy who said that was Orest I might believe it.

You pays your money , and you gets your rifle.

HRA is A-OK.

These are the good old days.

JR
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Not that it matters to anyone but me, I just checked USPS.com and saw that my order was delivered to the CMP today!  I'm on travel now and this is the highlight of my day.    Anyone know how long it typically takes to deliver rifles that are in stock???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Just received my HRA correct grade and SA field grade yesterday (both were greek return).  The correct grade looks great with just a few nicks and dings in the wood.  The wood on the field grade is rather beat up, but livable.  The difference between the metal parts on the two is substantial.  The correct gade is beautiful in comparison.  I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I'll be posting them soon.   Also, still waiting on a couple Scott Duff publications to arrive so I can check serial numbers etc.  

Thanks again to all who helped me decide on getting the HRA correct grade.  These are my first Garands and I can easily see how people end up with a safe full of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top