Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2002 7:34:19 AM EDT
I purchased a Garand from the CMP back in 1993. Now I'd like to get a M1 Carbine. Do I have to go thru all the hoops again or is it easier the second time around? I've still got an active clearance, but I'm now a contractor vice active duty. Also, does anyone know what kind of conditon the .30 carbines are in? Current mag prices etc?
I know the rifles were made WAY prior to the 94 AW bill, so can I put a folder on it if I want?
Or is it not considered a AW because it doesn't have enough features so adding features would make it an AW. Therefore creating an AW, which of course, it a No No.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
check the cmp web site for current prices and offerings. i dont think theyre offering carbines anymore.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure the CMP is selling M1 carbines?

I don't see them listed on their rifle sales program page.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The carbines are only available to clubs these days.  There are just too many legal tricks with them thanks to the classification of all M2 and M3 carbines as NFA weapons.  It got confusing.  So now they are club issue only.

If you want an M1 Carbine you'll need to find it on the used market.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, Damn and double damn!
Thanks for the quick replies. Anyone know what I should expect to pay for a "shooter" on the used market? Any types to avoid?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Avoid non-USGI types such as Iver Johnson and Universal.

I thought Universal and I.J. were USGI carbines.
Are Universal carbines imports?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
CMP carbines are restricted to Junior Club use only.  Lots of folks plead for them to change that but so far no go.  Unless they can get their hands on the million or so we shipped to Vietnam seems unlikey to change. They do have ammo availible.  

Yes,Universals (and Plainfields) are junk.

USGI carbines have been kind of scarce and expensive in these parts (Iowa) for sometime.  Gunshow prices start about $500 and quickly escalate.  IMI are floating around but they aren't exactly cheap either.  

I stumbled across an excellent Inland rebuild (non-import) about two years ago for $400.  Consider it one of the best buys I ever made.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The carbines are only available to clubs these days.  There are just too many legal tricks with them thanks to the classification of all M2 and M3 carbines as NFA weapons.  It got confusing.  So now they are club issue only.

If you want an M1 Carbine you'll need to find it on the used market.

Is this because they think it would be too easy to convert an M1 to M2?  I should know this, but can't remember, both the M2 and M3 are full auto, but what is the difference?  Also, I should be able to remember this, but in the middle 60s in 'Nam, some US guys and later the RVN troops used carbines, but I can't remember if they were M1, M2, or M3?  I remember that the folding M1 was the M1A1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The lack of CMP carbines probably has more to do with the lack of carbines in the Army supply inventory rather than conversion to full auto issues.  To convert an M-1 to an M-2 simply requires the necessary fire control parts, just like converting and AR-15 to an M-16 (more or less).  

Need to remember we shipped millions of carbines overseas as foriegn aid.  Total production was just short of 6,000,000, which included about 500,000 M-2's.  Based on the numbers in Ezell's book, we shipped at least 4,000,000 of those overseas.  Just under a million went to South Vietnam.  Throw in the carbines sold via NRA/DCM in the early sixties plus normal attrition and I think you come up with the answer as to why no CMP carbines.  There just ain't any.  Possibly CMP could stumble across a stash overseas like they did with the Danish Garands, but so far no luck.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to get an M1 Carbine for a fun gun sometime in the future.  The IAI from what I've heard are pretty good, and even more accurate than the pure USGI models.  They also offer one in the .22 caliber wildcat cartridge based on the .30 carbine round.  

Should be good for plinking, and hunting small critters.

I'd love to get one after the ban sunsets, and get a folding stock on it... they are DINKY when they are folded up like that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top