Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2002 11:26:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
958,9xx was in the range assigned to Springfield Armory.

Nov 1942

Congrats

REF.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Wave!  Congrats on your first M1!  

I'm on my first, but just got my paperwork so I can send it to the CMP.  Unfortunately, funds don't allow for another M1 yet, but there will be a couple more in my future!

Mine is a Springfield, S/N 3,818,xxx, made in June of '45, the month after Nazi Germany surrendered, so I call her 'Victory'.  If I could hear the tales she might tell... From the pitting on the inside of the receiver, I can guess she saw action either in the Pacific, or Korea.  Lots of character dings in the stock, but I think I will still strip and refinish it.

I hope you enjoy your rifle... the M1 is definitely my favorite!

M@
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent.  Hope you've got a few hundred rounds of .30-06 in Garand clips.  Once you start shooting the sound of that empty clip being ejected gets addictive, and you'll shoot 8 rounds just to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine came yesterday as well!  If I remember correctly, we ordered ours about the same time.  My hand guards don't match, but I'll try to find replacements.  Mine is a SA 77XXX, Oct '40.  The front site looks to have been "cut" through the site guards around the gas tube.  Trying to get some pic's today.  I don't know if it was required for replacemnt or what.  The trigger and follower are both WRA, so it appears to have seen some heavy use.  Going to tear it down and catalog it this afternoon.

Edited to add link.  Is this a normal deal? members.tripod.com/b-onemender/M1.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I also got mine on the 5th.  I ordered the Dane/VAR M1 though.  Unfortunatly I got one with the SA barrel.  It's is a nice one though.  I called CMP and they are sending me a return shipper, they said when they get this one back expect the new correct one in 10 days.  The people there are just too damn friendly I tell ya!  Well I cleaned this one up anyways for the next guy it is a very nice sample just not what I wanted I guess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Wave,  VERY NICE!!  Looks like you got an excellent specimen!

Marvl was right about hearing that clip eject... I shot my M1 in a match last weekend... I LOVE the rapid fire strings, hearing that 'pop PING!' on the last shot!  I'm sure you'll love it too.  Let us know how she shoots!

M@
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Wave, when did you order? I got my M44 but no M1 yet!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Congats Wave! Very nice looking grain on the wood.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
No kidding Raf, when I ordered a select grade M1 they were offering 3-4 years ago, it did take almost a year to get it! As luck would have it, I was on a two week vacation when it was shipped, so I knew it was at home, taking some of the fun out of the vacation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
No offense Wave, but why waste $ 120 to have Orion7 do what the CMP armorers checked before they shipped it to U ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes it should be safe out of the box, just take it apart and clean it first. The manual has very good instructions on cleaning and lubrication and feeding instructions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]

>>Raf taps pipe on cracker barrel, and hunts for a match<<

Why you young'uns got it too damn easy.
Why, when I was orderin M1s, we never got a sling, clip, chamber flag, nor whateverinhellisintheplasticbag.
And we had to wait Months, mebbe over a Year!
And none of this askin for a certain manufacturer, neither. No Siree!
what this country's comin' to, I dunno...

Heres a light mister ,

I remember those days too.  
It took me 14 months to get my collector  M1 waaay back when they were a wallet popping 750.00

and we didn't get no slings, clips or action plugs or none of that fancy cleaning equipment.

All we got was a greasy rifle...
AND WE WERE GRATEFUL!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top