Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 8:14:46 PM EDT

I am interested in getting a CMP Garand.  In what shape is the Service Grade?  What recommendations do you have?  What if I just buy the reciever?  How easy is it to build a "new" gun up around the receiver?  Thanks

Arc_Angel

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
cmp garands are excellent. i have worked there as a volunteer inspecting and grading rifles. "service grade" means exactly that! it has to pass certain criteria to pass. sg also means it is combat serviceable. at the odcmp website u will find the criteria listed there for sg..the wood usually is not that great..but the rifle is great! and i have built from scratch, better to buy one..cost more the other way and u get it all ready to shoot after u clean it!i have 5 of em!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The CMP stuff is like a lottery with a minimum garunteed payout as slasher said even the least of them has to pass  what ammounts to depot level inspection and any out of spec parts are  replaced and a function check done on them --the worst part might be the wood from years of storage and handling.
I just got a lot of M14 parts from them and with the exception of a minor abrasion on the bottom of the trigger guard all the parts look and chek out as new or near new parts for half the price paid at a gunshow or vendor.
CMP is about one of the best deals out there these days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a service grade that was very good overall.  Since the springs might be as old as 60 years, ordered a full set from Chestnut Ridge. I'd advise against the XP op-rod spring from Wolff. Garands seem to like GI spring rate. No more. No less. Rifle shoots better than I do and has not bobbled once using AE, Lake City and Greek surplus. Best value in a rifle I've ever gotten. After you order from CMP, go to the Fulton Armory website and read a wealth of info there. Downloaded TM 9-1275, FM 23-5 there IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
My Service Grade was wonderfull. When I get home, I can post pics.

CMP
GO FOR IT ! !
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
When you get your M1, unless it is one of the rarer collecor ones, make sure you shoot it.  There is a lot more from where that came from.  Check out the Fulton web site, they show Garands stacked from floor to the ceiling on pallets. The CMP has a monopoly on true GI Garands.

There has been TALK of restricting former military arms because a few was found at crime scenes, ie M1 Carb at drive-by shootings.  The antis will be back next time. So with that in mind......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top