Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 3:19:43 AM EDT by Paints-n-cows]
My first CMP rifle arrived today. I asked for a USGI Springfield Armory Field Grade. I ended up with a five digit serial number (69xxx). According to the Fulton Armory website, that puts it in the October, 1940 range.

The part numbers are as follows:
Barrel: S-A-9-52
Trigger guard: C46025WRA
Trigger housing: D28290-14-SA
Operating rod: 6535332SA
Hammer: C46008-5 SA
Bolt: 6528287 HRA
Gas plug has a P O

The stock has a "W" on the heel of the pistol grip. I didn't see any markings on the handguard pieces.

The receiver has some considerable pitting on the left front corner near the rear handguard and the rear handguard is broken when the rear metal fixture attaches. It looks like it has been that way for a long time.

The barrel doesn't look to be too bad. I put a 150 fmj bullet into the barrel point-first and there is about .150" between the knurl and the end of the barrel. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

The gas cylinder doesn't have very much finish left on it and is considerably pitted. I couldn't find any markings on it all.

Is there anything in particular that I need to be looking for as far as wear, etc.? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was not looking for a museum piece, just a shootable rifle that has history.

I will post pictures when a) I get it put back together and b) when I get smart enough to post them.

And BTW, it took 11 days from the time that I mailed my paperwork to me having this in hand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:31:21 PM EDT
Cool beans, I got a M-1 Garand SA GK SG about a month ago from CMP and was really pleased with what I got. I am like you when it comes to posting pictures, don't even have a digital camera yet. The wood on my sg was in good shape and the finish was good. Liked so much that I ordered 1903A3 last week that is in processing now. CMP is the way to go now as the M-1's and 1903's are not going to be avalable like this much longer. Get them while you can!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:41 PM EDT
Barrel SA-5-92? You mean 42?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:45:08 PM EDT
Sounds like a sweet M1, you really need to psot some pics
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:21:51 AM EDT
Ok, so it was 9-52...brain fart.

I was wondering if a gallon can of carburator cleaner would dissolve the cosmoline. Most everything will fit in it and it would be a relatively cheap soak. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:27:45 AM EDT
Isn't there some rule about not posting new CMP aquisitions without pics?

If not, there should be!!!

Top top bottom (Garands)

1.2 million SA
2.1 million SA
4.2 million IHC

Also, the Bushmaster has since been made evil since last September

Apologize for the big pic, I'm not sure how to resize. If someone wants to fix that, go right ahead.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:29:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paints-n-cows:

I was wondering if a gallon can of carburator cleaner would dissolve the cosmoline. Most everything will fit in it and it would be a relatively cheap soak. Any suggestions?

I've had great success with Birchwood Casey gun scrubber on the cosmo. Blasts it right off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:33:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paints-n-cows:

Carb cleaner and brake cleaner are pretty expensive for removing comsoline, but you can use paint thinner which is just solvent. I think you buy that stuff at the local Home Deopt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:50:16 PM EDT
I remove Cosmoline and some dents with the dishwasher. High heat wash and air dry. Cleans em right up.

Yes I am Married, She allows guns and ballcaps in the dishwasher. No car parts are permitted though.
Top Top