Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 5:36:47 PM EDT
I can't believe it, but it's true. SOG is selling CETME's for $299. I've been holding off getting one, but I have nothing that shoots .308 in my arsenal right now (at least that's not belt fed).

Anyone know anything about these CETMEs? Are they worthwhile?

Link to SOG
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that I bought from a fellow board member, and I love it.  It is fun to shoot, and easy on the shoulder.

The biggest complaint with the CETME's are the front site posts not being lined up correctly (much like the AK's that Century sells).  The one I bought was OK.  I bought a front site adjustment tool from Tapco (highly recommend) and have it sited in.  I get nice, tight groups at 60 yards with fixed sites.  Recoil is pretty light because of the muzzle break.  It does tend to beat up your brass, so reloading may be difficult.

For $300, I'd pick one up.  Like Aimless said, even with some work put into it, you would be money ahead.

nouglyguns.com has replacement stocks for CETME's, in case you decide that you want a nicer set.

Brad
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone compared these to a HK?

What I'm wondering is if a reg. HK sear in a pack would work in one.  $300 for a cheap full-auto .308 burner would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Brad76 has my old gun.  I liked it, but it is loud.

Some of the later guns were kind of rough, escpically the stocks.  Last I heard was that Century had all of the problems worked out, and any rifle that you would get now would be sighted in and work out of the box.

The trigger groups are different from the HKs, but I do not know if the trigger pack and sear would fit in there or not.  If I had to guess, I would think no, because the gun is older than the G3/51/91.  The CETME is an earlier version of the G3.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What I'm wondering is if a reg. HK sear in a pack would work in one.  $300 for a cheap full-auto .308 burner would be nice.

I'm assuming you're talking about doing this with the proper stamps, right?  Otherwise, this kind of talk can get you banned and get our board in hot water for promoting stupid behavior.  Just making sure you had the heads up on that one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
kinda interested myself, although does anyone know where you can get composite of black plastic stock sets???
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Century's G3 stock set will work, with some mods to it.  One guys was able to make an HK91 wide stock fit his CETME, but it required allot of work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Hesse receiver? I can't remember but that would be a good reason for the price drop.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm assuming you're talking about doing this with the proper stamps, right?  Otherwise, this kind of talk can get you banned and get our board in hot water for promoting stupid behavior.  Just making sure you had the heads up on that one.

Yep.  That would be what the "reg." preceeding "HK sear" stands for; registered under the NFA.

Here's the current residence of one of my registered sears - making this a legal full auto...

http://community.webshots.com/rz/r1/6/87/15/13368715BqdpaolXeR_ph.jpg

I've got another, not currently installed in a gun, which is just collecting dust until I get another gun to put it into.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know what reciever are in the rifles??????????

Tried SOG no answer...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok got through, recievers are Century stamped...
Good or Bad??

I guess chrome lined barrells are not issued for these rifles??

Rifles are supposedly in excellent condition, customer rep said rifles are shipped to U.S. without a reciever and after customs inspection Century recievers are installed..

Thinking bout getting one. Anyone else??

Come on lets hear some feedback...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Go over to gunboards.com and you'll find a board on the CETME's.
www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Are they stamped Century with the Vermont address?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My understanding that there are actually 3 different receivers - the cast receivers built in the SW tooling, the Hesse stamped, and supposedly there is a new stamped receiver made in house by CAI for their G3/CETME clones...  Between the first two, the SW receivered guns were supposed to be a bit better, and were identifiable by the original CETME rear site, while the Hesse had the HK drum sight.  Not sure what these new stamped receivers are using - I really haven't seen any reports on them.

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
The email exactly as they responded.  They guarantee your purchase to 100% satisfaction, then I'm happy!  I'm definately buying one, does anyone think that my local FFL charging $50 is too much for the transfer?  Anyone know of a long island FFL that charges less?

Sir,
Here is the information you requested on the CETME.  The receivers are
forged steel and we have Hesse and Century Arms receivers.  They are in very
good to excellent condition and we have 100% satisfaction guarantee on all
of our items.  As for the sights being straigt, mags working and fire
reliably, we do not have any gunsmith, technical staff or testing facitlity
here, so we can not answer your questions correctly.  I hope this has helped
you.  If you have any further questions please let us know.

Thank You,
SOG/Amy

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn.!!!!
You guys really suck.!

I was all ready for the DFW gunshow this weekend in dallas. Had planned on buying my first AK.
Now this comes along..
Now I plan on turning this:

into this..:

hell the wood does look that bad..
stock will come from:
www.nouglyguns.com/

$299 Cetme.. just in case you wanted to know where..

edited to add... damn the 2nd pic came out huge...

and if any one has a reason I shoudnt get this.... you got till 6/15 to educate me. (thats gunshow day)
------------------------------------------------

CLUSTER walks away thinking ... the phone/light/water can be paid next month....
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell I want one too.
Any of you guys in the Dallas are have an FFL
and can do the transfer ?
Rather pay an AR member than someone else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The email exactly as they responded.  They guarantee your purchase to 100% satisfaction, then I'm happy!  I'm definately buying one, does anyone think that my local FFL charging $50 is too much for the transfer?  Anyone know of a long island FFL that charges less?

Sir,
Here is the information you requested on the CETME.  The receivers are
forged steel and we have Hesse and Century Arms receivers.  They are in very
good to excellent condition and we have 100% satisfaction guarantee on all
of our items.  As for the sights being straigt, mags working and fire
reliably, we do not have any gunsmith, technical staff or testing facitlity
here, so we can not answer your questions correctly.  I hope this has helped
you.  If you have any further questions please let us know.

Thank You,
SOG/Amy

Hey,  where on the Island are you?  I live out in Riverhead and I have used "THE LONG ISLAND SHOOTING CENTER", in west Islip,NY for my last 2 transfers and they charged me like $32.54 for each one.  Shoot me an e mail and I'll get you their address and phone info.  I believe that the place was recently sold so I cant vouch for current prices on tranfers.   If you ever are out east and want to shoot let me know I will be shooting with edpmedic and waverunner this summer.     Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I can vouch for SOG's 100% satisfaction policy. I have a C&R license and have ordered many weapons from them. I got an Enfield Jungle 5 that was not as described and they sent Fed Ex to my house the next day to pick it up.

I just picked up a couple of MAS 49/56 from them (to go with the one I got from the a few years ago) and they are one of the great rifle bargains out there right now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Shaggy and green18... I live in Nassau county and my FFL guy does it for $20 and another one does it for $25...email me at [email protected] and I'll give you the details.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey,  where on the Island are you?  I live out in Riverhead and I have used "THE LONG ISLAND SHOOTING CENTER", in west Islip,NY for my last 2 transfers and they charged me like $32.54 for each one.  Shoot me an e mail and I'll get you their address and phone info.  I believe that the place was recently sold so I cant vouch for current prices on tranfers.   If you ever are out east and want to shoot let me know I will be shooting with edpmedic and waverunner this summer.     Good Luck

I live in Huntington when I'm shooting, but I really live in the city with their nazi-ish gun control laws.  If you have the chance to buy some of that Radway Green SS109 that Ray is selling, GET SOME!  I was getting 1/2" MOA the other day with my Colt Elite and 1" with my DPMS 16".  That shit was unbelievable!  Rapid fire groups were in the 3" range offhand.  I've yet to shoot a car door like Ray and Vinnie suggested, but I'm hoping Ray will provide his gay ass Grey maxima as a target vehicle!  Anyway, let me know when you guys go out and shoot, I'll be sure to go with you!  I'll definately need to get some more of that SS109 though, it was unfuckingbelievable!
As far as the FFL goes, thanks for the offer on the LI Shooting Center, but I think I'll try Scipio's guy first since its only $20 and I can use the extra $12 for two lunches, since I'm now working for the government and my paycheck sucks worse than I ever imagined!
Greg
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I use Hunter Sports in Merrick $20
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a G3 from Century, and am very happy with it (in spite of all the trash talk about Century).  It may not have the resale or "cool" factor of a real H&K, but I'm fine with mine (I buy my firearms to keep and use, not sell or impress someone else).

The CETME with a plastic stock would be just as good as the G3 I paid ~$500 for.  This is quite a deal.  I may pick up a CETME now - thanks for passing along the info!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't believe how many guys from the Long Island area are on this board.  We should all try to get together for a group shoot sometime...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Agreed.  I usually shoot at Calverton.

Anyone up for an AR15.com Saturday?  Of course, bring your AR-15's?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#28]
live in Long Beach, shoot at Calverton, brookhaven, Huntington and the Freeport Gun Club

lets do it
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
live in Long Beach, shoot at Calverton, brookhaven, Huntington and the Freeport Gun Club

lets do it

Where in Long Beach, I'm in the West End!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Damn.!!!!
You guys really suck.!

I was all ready for the DFW gunshow this weekend in dallas. Had planned on buying my first AK.
Now this comes along..
Now I plan on turning this:

into this..:

hell the wood does look that bad..
stock will come from:
www.nouglyguns.com/

$299 Cetme.. just in case you wanted to know where..

edited to add... damn the 2nd pic came out huge...

and if any one has a reason I shoudnt get this.... you got till 6/15 to educate me. (thats gunshow day)
------------------------------------------------

CLUSTER walks away thinking ... the phone/light/water can be paid next month....

Could you enlighten me on how hard it would be to modify the CETME into a G3? Are you planning on just swapping out the stock set, or also the trigger group as well? What other differences are there between the two?

Man, for $300 I may have to get one. I remember when they wre like $650.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it worth the extra money to have SOG do a "hand select" on my new CETME?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I have one with a Hesse receiver and HK turrent rear sight . So far mine will feed about anything and I've got 2 deer with it this past hunting season . The only problem was that they went a little overboard on the finish on the inside of the receiver where the bolt travels so it took a few rounds to polish it out . Below is the best link by far I've found concerning Cetme's , Mikes put a lot of work into his site .
www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/cetme1.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Agreed.  I usually shoot at Calverton.

Anyone up for an AR15.com Saturday?  Of course, bring your AR-15's?

I live five minutes from calverton.  The only problem there is on the weekends its a public cluster f**k and very crowded.  I just joined the Pine Barrens range out at Gabreski aiport which is only maybe 10 minute from calverton and is private and very nice with over a  dozen different pits and lots of competitions all year long.  E mail me if you want their info.
    Yeah I also think we should all get together for a shoot,  waverunner and edpmedic and I and all the rest of us would be lots of fun!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Can someone let me know how you are to pronounce the name of this rifle?  I find AR and AK fairly simple but I am stumped with CETME.  Help fight semi-newbie-ism!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I have heard it called "set-me".  That's what there calling it around here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Can someone let me know how you are to pronounce the name of this rifle?  I find AR and AK fairly simple but I am stumped with CETME.  Help fight semi-newbie-ism!!

Just talked to SOG and they pronounce it "SET ME"
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#38]

posted by Palmer
Where in Long Beach, I'm in the West End!

Im in the east end, used to live in the west

Calverton during the week is always cool, count me in on any group thing. Usually Saturday is a take out the boat day. i dont which is more crowded the Water or the ranges
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone going to Pine Barrens this weekend who can bring me as a guest?  My family lives in Westhampton Beach and I want to join.  I understand I need to get to know people first.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#40]
anyone actually get one of these yet? I'm thinking about one myself and wanted to get some opinions...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top