Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/13/2005 1:56:04 PM EDT
I know it is hit or miss with these rifles regarding compatibility. Mine is a bit on the miss side. Is there a way to modify either the weapon or the mags to make the 2 work when you have an ill-fitting interface?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 1:57:26 PM EDT by Schulze]
Where there's a will (and funding) there's a way. What's the problem, exactly?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:03:59 PM EDT
alum g3 mags work in mine 100% ,the cetme mags are spotty. but i found that if i held them to one side they func. fine . so i found a washer that was the right thickness and glued it to the mags with agraglass and built the agraglass up flush with the washers sanded them smooth and painted flat black. you really have to look for the mod and they a 100% so far
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:09:44 PM EDT
Funny as it sounds, the original Cetme mags I had were hit or miss too.
I switched to the G3 mags and they work fine.
But the tightest fitting mags I found were the Thermold HK91 mags.
I found them at CDNNinvestments.com .
relatively cheap too.
You have to round the front corners to fit properly but since I did that they function100%.

It sounds like the mag well is a little on the large side.
There were some that this was a problem with.
The guys over at Cetmerifles have a great technical /trouble shooting section. And I think there were some suggestions on how to correct this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:11:14 PM EDT
I have 3 CETME and 4 beaten HK mags (circa 1965). The CETMES work flawlessly. The HKs are tight as hell to seat, (CETMES are snug as it is) and they chamber about 50 % when the bolt is released. (I have never used the HKs for this reason.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
has anyone mounted a scope to theirs?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:42:03 PM EDT
Yep sure do.
Here's a pic of mine with the 30 round mag.
I used the Tapco mount and T28 scope.
Work real well for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:56:51 PM EDT
Mag issues are common in CETME's.

HK91 mags should work in your CETME.

I had to mill some off the rear block (in place of where the sear/paddle mag release pin would go on a select fire CETME) in order to get ANY mags to fit well, even the ones that came with the rifle. This is easy to do; of course you want to be careful not to remove too much metal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:09:19 PM EDT

Does your Cetme have a Stamped receiver , or a Cast stainless steel receiver ?

It makes a difference.

The stamped receiver Cetme is really a copy of a G3 receiver , built up with a Cetme parts kit.
HK and G3 mags usually work fine in these. (note the unnecessary hole on top of receiver )

The Cast receiver Cetme is closer to a real cetme receiver , and works best with true Cetme mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:46:40 AM EDT
G3 mags are 100% in mine. CETME mags seems a little loose.

CETME mags are too heavy and rust prone to bother with in my opinion.

My CETME is a Century stamped model. Works and shoots GREAT!

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:21:36 PM EDT
mine takes both,, doesnt care fer the g3 steel mags tho.

there is a pic over at gunboards and at perros cetmerifles.com that shows,, a few spots you can tweak theg3 mags to make them seat better,, norammly few seconds with a file here and there,,, DO NOT mod the mag well,,,,, mags are 1-2$ apop alot cheaper to replace than a rifle!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:39:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:40:37 PM EDT
My CETME was bought used and while it came with the CETME steel mags they don't
work well. The HK aluminun mags work great, however.

I think this is because it appears the bottom of my receivers mag well has been filed to allow the HK mags to fit in deep enough. I know you have to do either do that or file the stops on the side of the HK mags to get them to fit correctly. Once that is done it may affect the use of the steel Cetme mags.

The prior owner elected to modify the mag well and it works very well. I'd rather use
the HK mags anyway. They are more plentifull, cheaper and lighter.

BTW-only the aluminun HK mags work, the HK steel mags wont' work.
Top Top