Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 5:52:08 PM EST
Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:55:10 PM EST
Open top. Don't need the thumb break getting in the way if I need to present the gun quickly.
And retention shouldn't be an issue. A good fitting holster will hold a firearm even when inverted.
As far a someone trying to snatch it, they shouldn't even be aware of it's presence.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:00:51 PM EST
Definitely open top. If you must have a thumb break, the FLETCH from Galco isn't bad at all, almost as fast with practice as an open top, they have a steel reinforcement on the thumb snap.

For reasons mentioned above, the ability to present more smoothly and more quickly, I prefer an open top.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:02:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 6:05:43 PM EST by Duke76]

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
Open top. Don't need the thumb break getting in the way if I need to present the gun quickly.
And retention shouldn't be an issue. A good fitting holster will hold a firearm even when inverted.
As far a someone trying to snatch it, they shouldn't even be aware of it's presence.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I prefer the Fobus paddle holster for concealed carry.... works great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:07:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 6:08:45 PM EST by eagle1911]
Open top, as already stated, no one should know it is there until it is needed, so rentention from gun grabs is not an issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:17:02 PM EST

I also like the open top..

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:40:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:44:39 AM EST
Having a thumbbreak isn't that bad, just have to practice drawing and reholstering.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:21:56 AM EST
I prefer an open top... a correctly fitted holster has no need for a suicide strap.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:55:39 AM EST
Ditto for open top under most conditions. Make sure it is good quality and retains the gun securely. Clint Smith's test of rolling around on the floor, or doing somersaults with the holstered gun is a good one. Also...before Sig 230 chimes in...get a really good belt!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:36:22 AM EST
You mean I shouldn't carry in my old flap top 1911 holster?

I use open top on my belt, and snap on any shoulder rig, strap under a cocked hammer (cocked and locked, only way to carry
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:50:57 PM EST
Another vote for the open top holster on the belt. If you are carrying in the open and think the extra security is needed, then you should invest in a holster with more security features. But for everyday conceled carry the open top is much better. I prefer the Fobus holsters myself but do also use a couple of different open top leather holsters on occasion as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:28:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 3:29:02 PM EST by JAW]
I think this issue has two distinct components.

1) Retention from motion/gravity (i.e. your gun falling out of the holster).

2) Retention from grabs.

If you have a high quality boned-leather or kydex holster, #1 should be a non-issue.

Additionally, if you are worried about #2, a simple thumb snap probably isn't your best bet; you should get bonafide retention holster.

I am not worried about #2. I am not a cop or someone who carries openly in public.

I carry concealed so if someone "gets the drop on me" it won't be a gun grab, but something else.

I use boned-leather or kydex holsters, so I am not worried about #1 either.

Kramer, Alessi, Galco, and FIST, to name just a few, make high quality leather holsters that are form fitted to their intended weapon.

Blade-Tech makes excellent kydex products. There are others, but thus far I have only used Blade-Tech or MD Labs (no longer making holsters).

HTH,

JAW
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:42:39 AM EST
I agree with majority , I use open top also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:09:05 AM EST
Open top for all of the reasons stated above.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:07:17 AM EST
Thumb strap, since thats what most of the cheapo holsters I own have on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:37:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 8:50:35 AM EST by 455SD]
OK. We are pretty much in agreement on the open-top. Anyone ever cut off the thumb-snap and make an open-top? One of my favorite holsters is a Bianchi #3S with the thumb-snap removed.

**Damn I can't spell!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:40:21 AM EST
I tried both when I first started carrying. It took me a lot of practice to feel comfortable drawing from the holster with the thumb snap. I still can't draw from it as fast as my open top kydex, so I usually carry with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:49:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 9:52:55 AM EST by Redmanfms]
I normally open carry, so I use a DeSantis belt slide with snap strap. When I carry concealed it's normally a snub or P232 in an unused pocket (nothing but the gun), or a 1911 in a Galco Jackass Rig (sometimes with a pocket pistol a reserve). The holsters I have all have some kind of retention other than the spring screw tension.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:56:29 AM EST
I have a Kramer paddle that I carry a S&W 40 cal. which is an open top style. You can hold it upside down and shake it and the gun will not fall out. They are expensive but I have never seen a better made holster ever and they stand behind their product's 100%. I would highly reccomend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:01:26 AM EST
Damn, I've had a thumb snap for 3 years now, maybe I need to look at open top holsters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:26:06 AM EST
Open top is great with the expensive leather hand fit holsters, but, on the other hand, Alessi makes a darn good leather belt holster with a strap that isn't overly large and opens easily.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:42:57 PM EST
The main thing to remember when you carry a concealed weapon is that you will probably not going to have to draw it until the pressure is on. The retention strap is just one more thing to get in the way when it really counts. It is almost like seeing new people with their cocked and locked government model .45s. A lot of times I have seen them under pressure in classes or competitions draw and try to fire but then realize that the safety is still on. It is this kind of thinking that also causes me to carry a Glock. The less to fool with the better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:51:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
The main thing to remember when you carry a concealed weapon is that you will probably not going to have to draw it until the pressure is on. The retention strap is just one more thing to get in the way when it really counts. It is almost like seeing new people with their cocked and locked government model .45s. A lot of times I have seen them under pressure in classes or competitions draw and try to fire but then realize that the safety is still on. It is this kind of thinking that also causes me to carry a Glock. The less to fool with the better.

All of these things have to do more with practice than anything else. Its not better or worse, just different, and with practice can be just as fast.

Now, as to the original question. I carry open top now, but I have this holster:
www.andrewsleather.com/saddle.htm

In both models. When I worked at the gunshop, I carried open sometimes, and having the exact same model both open and thumb-break kept the sam muscle memory. I always practiced with the thumb-break, and figured it wouldn't slow down the open top draw any to hit a "ghost" thumb-break.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:02:27 PM EST
I agree that practice is the key with any holster someone chooses to carry. The sad thing is that most people don't put the time into practicing enough. I try to practice my drawing technique at least one night a week and I still don't think it is realy enough.

Hopefully I or anyone else will never need to use these skills for anything truly serious. If the time does come most people will have all their focus on the threat at hand. They will have a difficult time thinking about which holster they have on that day, and how the gun is supposed to come out of it.
Top Top