Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2002 1:58:26 PM EDT
For a Glock 26

Does it all come down to personal preference?

Are there real pro's and cons to straight or canted?

I can't seem to decide what to get.  It will be carried mostly at 4-5 o'clock hip where the pants patch usually is but i'd also like to have the option of 1-2 o'clock also.

What do most of you prefer?

Thanks,
Stone
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Fobus adjustable cant holster with my HK compact.  I have it adjusted with a slight forward cant and have found that it rides more comfortable when entering or exiting a vehicle.  I also feel the the forward cant will allow you to access the weapon more easily while in the sitting position.  Of course this is all subjective depending on your body type and holster retention devices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks has a foward cant.  If you have a lot of friends with CCW, try a few holsters and see what feels most natural.  Its difficult however, since there are so many variables (gun type, barrel length, holster type/design, where its worn, etc.).  Unfornunately, many people end up with a collection of holsters before they find what works best for them.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You pretty much have to try a lot of holsters to find a really good one. You have to look at carry position, comfort, concealment, and ease of draw. IMHO, a forward cant conceals better and has a smoother draw when used at about 3-4 o'clock. As the holster moves to the weak side on your belt, more reverse cant seems better, and conversely, more forward cant seems better as you move to the strong side.

When I carry in a forward cant at about 3 o'clock or so, the grip safety area (not a 1911 with an actual grip safety, but the same area) fits nicely into my side, which makes the whole rig feel more stable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the feedback.

What happened is I ordered a kydex iwb canted holster in november.  Well it took 4 weeks for them to make it and get it here to me.

The problem is it's not canted.  I'm absolutely positive I told the salesman canted.  He's the one that sold me on the canted idea.  Pretty much said what yall did, it fits the body better and draws nicer.  etc etc.  I even got the body sheild added and he got that correct.

My delima was do i send it back for canted or just keep it.  That's why i was asking what you guys used.  I do have an alessi that i carry a taurus pt92 iwb and it's not canted.  But it sure is more comfortable when i do cant the holster on my pants.

Guess i'm just gonna send it back and prolly wait another 4 weeks for a new one.  

Thanks again,
Stone
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been using a standard straight up position Fobus holster for my glock 30 for 3 years now. Prior to that I was all up in arms with a G-19 in a galco paddle. I thought that was as good as it got until I tried my friends advice and got a Fobus. Trust me for CCW carry especially in the winter it would be hard to beat a Fobus. Especially if you happen to carry a glock. Plastic just seems to love plastic. Good luck and happy new year!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it back and get what you want. You will not be happy until you do.

As for me I have a very strong leaning toward the canted holsters over the vertical holsters. I have a Kydex for my P7 and it is great on the range or under a jacket, like in IDPA shooting. But for day to day concealed carry I like Galco. For the first three years of my career in law enforcement I used a Galco Combat Master for my Sig 226. The holster was very comfortable and I was able to hid the pistol under an untucked shirt. Then my department decided that we all had to carry the Beretta 96. So for a while I used a buddies Hellweg. It was nice but printed like a bastard. I ended up going back to Galco and bought a (just out on the market at the time) Concealable. I made detective just as I bought the holster. I have used that holster to hide that big ass Beretta under an untucked shirt  every work day for the last 5 years with out any complaints or printing problems. you must understand, I am only 5 foot 8 inches tall so it is not an easy thing to hid big handguns on my person. Several of the other dicks have gone to the Concealable when their old holster needed replacing and after trying mine.

Fobus makes good stuff and the above was not meant as a plastic vs. leather debate. This is just my experience.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Glock 26 from time-to-time.

Currently I am using a straight (vertical) holster.

In the past, carrying the G26 in a canted holster put the backstrap of the pistol at an angle that prevented me from obtaining a natural, solid grip on it.  Since the grip is so short, when carried in a canted holster I found that I ended up grabbing the magazine (my G26 has a Pearce-Grip on the magazine), rather than the back strap.

For this gun and for me, a straight drop holster works best.  It is short enough (both length and height) that I didn't gain a lot in terms of concealability by carrying it in a canted holster.

HTH,

JAW
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Jaw makes a very good point. Grabbing a hold of one of the sub Glocks can be a pain. A strait (vertical) holster may be just the thing for this type of handgun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
A 15 degree cant alwasy felt better for me for carry. Maybe its because I started with it and got used to it. But then again maybe thats what its all about muscle memory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top