Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/20/2008 9:03:36 PM EDT
I went to local shop to stock up with #41's which I have always used and they were sold out so what do you folks suggest to replace with Rem 7.5 , CCI 400,450 or Fed 205
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 10:25:32 PM EDT by babob]
Originally Posted By strawberrybill:
I went to local shop to stock up with #41's which I have always used and they were sold out so what do you folks suggest to replace with Rem 7.5 , CCI 400,450 or Fed 205

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers_prod.aspx?id=30

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Mil-spec sensitivity
Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:30:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:06:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 5:10:43 AM EDT by res45]
Just pick one. There's nothing magical about a CCI 41 primer.

So your saying CCI and the slam fire issue with certain military type weapons and primer combinations is BS.

Strawberrybill if you can find the you can use Wolf SRM primer in place of the CCI#41 it's a hard cup primer,they run about $18 per K on various Internet sights.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:51:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:07:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By res45:
Just pick one. There's nothing magical about a CCI 41 primer.

So your saying CCI and the slam fire issue with certain military type weapons and primer combinations is BS.

Note what CCI says as to some possible causes of slam fires..........besides which primer you choose..........

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Some re-loaders have been convinced that it's a, "must have."

Others are fine with the primers they've been using for years and have learned to accept a certain amount of, "risk."

Hey, NOTHING is perfect. Your re-loads and techniques differ as well as your rifles. YMWV.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:21:51 AM EDT
The issue here is safety for individual reloader as well as any bystanders not all reloader are as particular as you or me might be thats just human nature,plus anything man made can always malfunction reloading equipment,rifle,components,just because it hasn't been an issue in your particular case,doesn't justify the statement of the primers being nothing magical. Reloading is a risk why compound the risk for a few dollars or convince.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=14461.0
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 8:29:26 AM EDT by AeroE]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:00:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 11:55:00 AM EDT by res45]
You should also note that beside the cup thickness if there is any that the primer mixture sensitivity along with a slightly different angle on the anvil of the CCI Mil-Spec primers will allows for the dimpling effect caused by free floating firing pin striking the primer in semi auto military style rifle. And yes the CCI #34 & #41 are magnum primer so one should work up the loads accordingly anytime you change any component of the stated reloading data. I use them,haven't had a single issue with them or my reload,if the standard primers work for you by all means use what your comfortable with.
Top Top