Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 10:08:38 AM EDT
Hey guys. I have finally decided to buy a suppressor, but I have yet to completely narrow down my decision. I am between the AAC M4-2000 and the OPS INC 15th Model CQB MBS. The prices are basically even, so I would like to hear any pros/cons you guys would have for the two models. I will be shooting semi-auto only, on a 10.5 SBR, no more than 2000 rounds per year. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Actually, after hearing and seeing SWRs CANS, Id opt for one of theirs. I had a GEMTECH HALO. It was okay, I like the ability to put it on any NATO FH'd gun, but the POI changed each time you took it off and on. You had to besure to clock it exact each time. Im not sure how SWR mounts, but Ive been impressed with their lack of sound. lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Would you be using the muzzle brake on the Ops can?  Would you prefer flash hider or muzzle brake shooting unsuppressed?

Do you have some sort of pistol length gas system to fit the Ops?  It requires a 11.5" barrel with a standard gas system.

SWR uses Gemtech mounts last I knew.  I cant imagine anyone not liking their AAC M4 2000 Mod 08 if they go that route.  Several people have AAC cans locally and they all like them.  I like mine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I would prefer a flash hider for shooting unsuppressed. But then again, I will probably use my sbr for shooting suppressed and use my standard 16 inch for unsuppressed. Not sure if that changes anything. I have not decided if I want to cut down a 16 inch barrel of mine or if I should purchase a short barrel separately. Any advice on that would be great too. I am in the process of filling out the SBR forms. My rifle has a carbine gas system. So the OPS would not work on a 10.5, only the 11.5? Interesting. If so I might as well change the length on my Form 1. Does the AAC fit on the 10.5?

I'd like to determine the final suppressor/sbr set up now, so I can make sure I don't end up with a 10.5 and a suppressor that won't fit, or a function problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my 2 Ops cans, the 223 sounds awesome(12th Model). I only put a few round down range with the 308 so I cannot compare to my 308 AAC can yet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I own both an Ops 12th Model and AAC M4-2k. They are both outstanding cans and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them again.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Andrew,

I am assuming that all of your rifles are preban? Silencer on a post ban is a no no in CT whether or not it is a SBR.

FWIW, I went to Jojo's and got a Surefire 556K model. This model does not over lap the barrel and will fit nicely on a 10.5. Just waiting on my SBR now.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i lean toward the m4/2000 mod 8 because of the mount system and the fact that its as quiet (i beleive) as the ops.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 It was sarcasim, sorry I forgot the smiley face. , your going to hurt yourself with all that pent up anger.  

Have a nice day & thanks for playing.  

It's all good and I'll edit my post accordingly. You hear the joke one time and it's cute, it comes up everytime mentions AAC and it just becomes retarded, lol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If you decide on the OPS route consider the 14th model instead of the 15th.  I have both and they sound the same but the 14th is a little shorter and lighter.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, my lower is a pre-ban PWA. Is the Surefire really worth the extra cash?

Accuser: Does the 14th model require the 11.5 barrel due to overlap like the 15th model does?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes, my lower is a pre-ban PWA. Is the Surefire really worth the extra cash?

Accuser: Does the 14th model require the 11.5 barrel due to overlap like the 15th model does?

The 14th and 15th and 16th models all overlap the barrel the same length and can share a common collar.  I believe you can use a 10.5" barrel and get a special collar the ADCO sells that would extend the barrel length to 11.5 and be able to fit the above models.  The bayonet lug may need to be filed for the special collar.  Bigbore would know the answer for sure.  Maybe he can chime in but you can always contact him at ADCO Firearms to find out for sure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, I will drop him a line. I was actually looking at the models on the ADCO site. I would probably rather get an 11.5 barrel than add an extension. Now I just have to decide the best barrel to get.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my advice: None of the above.

I say that because I feel that on a shorty a short thread on can like the SWR Wolverine is the way to go.  In fact, I plan on trying one of those out on a 10.5 gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the Wolverine attach over a flash suppressor? Or is it just a thread on? Ideally I'd like to have the 10.5 barrel. Does anyone here have any experience with the 5.56 Wolverine? Pictures of the mount and suppressor would be great. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no mount; the Wolverine is a thread-mount can and requires no flash hider.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Since I really have no need for a quick attach/detach, and the Wolverine screws right on to the threads I definitely need find some more info on it. This would also mean little/no POI shift due to the fact that I would not be removing and attaching it each shooting session, correct?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
On the OPs Inc can's Muzzle Brake mount . . .  I have been told that one reason the can is so quiet is that the muzzle brake deflects the gas, slowing it, cooling it in the blast chamber.

Now guys . .  this is something that I heard, don't remember who, when I commented on the muzzle brake mount and how uncomfortable it would be to shoot unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Since I really have no need for a quick attach/detach, and the Wolverine screws right on to the threads I definitely need find some more info on it. This would also mean little/no POI shift due to the fact that I would not be removing and attaching it each shooting session, correct?  

Yup.  To clarify, with a good fast attach can you will get repeatable POI shift when you attach/detach the can, so it's something that can be compensated for.    SWR is top notch in terms of product quality/efficiency and from the accounts I've heard, customer service as well.  They also post on this forum.

www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=16

Part of the reason I like a smaller can on SBRs is that the whole purpose of an SBR is compactness; reduced weight/length.  I like to maintain that while suppressing the gunshot just enough to get the job done; if you want a really quiet AR, put a bigger can on a longer barrel.  I view an SBR/compact can combo as a worthwhile compromise.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
On the OPs Inc can's Muzzle Brake mount . . .  I have been told that one reason the can is so quiet is that the muzzle brake deflects the gas, slowing it, cooling it in the blast chamber.

Now guys . .  this is something that I heard, don't remember who, when I commented on the muzzle brake mount and how uncomfortable it would be to shoot unsuppressed.

The OPS muzzle brake isn't much of a muzzle break, its a .25" thick blast baffle that helps route the gas into the outer expansion chamber. Is the brake loud with the can off? No, its not a very good break all by itself. If an efficient/loud muzzle brake is a criteria OPS makes a 2 port model.  Its all on their site.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

POI shift usually reffers to how much shift you get with the can mounted vs not mounted.  The shift for everyone's QD can I have talked to, and my own, have all been very repeatable.  For example I had a very repeatable 1 MOA shift to 10 o'clock with my AAC SPR/M4 silencer when attached in position 3.  I knew exactly where my shift would go each time I shot with it on or off.  A muzzle mount can will also have a shift whether on or off... different muzle devices like flash hiders can also cause a shift in POI.  One advantage of a QD mount is the mount is usually very repeatable.  Thread mount cans need to be tourqued the same amount to be sure they are indexed correctly becasue more or less torque can cause a slight difference in the cans final orientation and a corresponding shift in POI, though ths is admittedly usually very small.  Many people simply prefer QD mounts becasue they wont ever vibrate loose but then you can always rocksett your thread on can or use a lock washer to prevent its backing off.

I for one dont shoot suppressed all the time because it makes your rifle's internals amd magazine filthy and sometimes I dont want to deal with that.  Having your silencer off also makes cleaning easier becasue you dont have to worry about patches possibly getting trapped in the silencer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]
DevL: Those are some very good points to consider. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Hi I Just picked up an ops 15 (my first can)from ADCO. Mounted this on a 12.5 inch LWRC upper which Adco cut down from 16"
I also placed the ops birdcage mount on my 14.5 upper. I  have yet to shoot this 14.5"upper (the 12.5 is too fun).

The 12.5 sbr is awsome It has the recoil pulse of an MP5 with the standard ops brake without the can. With the can it shoots like a standard ar. I would consider any ops can for future purchases.ADCO did a great job on the bbl work the 12.5 shoots better than my 16". Accuracy wise. (both have been reliable)
I have fired several cans/setups over the past few years, I pay for my equipment now and reliability is my #1 concern thus the LWRC and OPS combo. There are other setups out there as reliable HK/KAC. POf/surefire.
If you choose the ops you won'tbe dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top