Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 7:26:17 AM EDT
I will be turning 18 in about four months and could think of no better way to celebrate than buying my first gun.  I have collected up 2k after slaving away all summer (man, this work thing sucks) and have decided that an M1A would make a fine first gun.  With this being said, I have both the desire and capital, but I really don't know where to start looking.  I have a fair amount of money to spend but I don't want to be paying for just the brand.  Quality would have to be my #1 priority.  Would a new Springfield Arms M1A be the route that I should take or do ya'll have any other suggestions?  Any comments or questions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Polytech makes a good gun.
some folks have had problems with the new Springfield M1A.  
but they have a life time warantee!
i have a SA and i love it.  it's a great gun and i have never had a problem with it.
but mine is a M1A NM.  i replaced the stock with a synthetic from Freds and it has has a scope mount on it.  first a Springfield armory (which was shit) and a McCanns which worked well.
the probem with the M1A is the bedding.  once you remove the action from the stock two or three times you get a little play and loose accuracy.  
cost is 1200.  the NM is 1600-1800.

i would advise you to take a good long look at the Armalite AR-10.
there are a lot more options if you want to modify the gun and it is far more user frendly.
cost is the same at 1200 or so.

for about 650-700 you can get an AR-15.  it would also be a great first gun.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I will be turning 18 in about four months and could think of no better way to celebrate than buying my first gun.

If THIS RIFLE tweaks your interest - make him an offer he can't refuse
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
While I will grudgingly grant the point that I spend money on toys like a private on payday , I am going to give you a word of advice.

If you're bloody set on that M1A, get the M1A. You'll likely not regret it.

If I were you, with 2k burning a hole in your pocket and a burning desire for your  first rifle, I'd get a CMP Garand, get it re-barrelled in 7.62NATO, and shoot it to your heart's content.

With the balance, get yourself started on a good retirement plan, or, better yet, a good college-savings program.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
If you buy one slightly used (I've bought two that way), you can save literally hundered's of dollars that you can use for magazines, ammo and accessories.

You will not regret buying one!

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top