Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:52 AM EDT
A friend of mine who has done some work for me shot my K31 over the weekend, and just loved it.  Couldn't say enough good about it.  I would like to buy one and give it to him as a gift.  He's been a long-time friend, and I thought it would make a great birthday present.  I've got a C&R license, and could something like this be mis-construed as dealing in firearms?  If it could fall into a gray area, I'm not going to do it.  Thanks!

PS - Since I've had my C&R, I've bought 3 firearms, and haven't disbursed any if that matters.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Don'y have my C&R yet but I understand it would need to be put in your log book just like you sold it. It might be a grey area, like you said but since you aren't selling it or charging for the transfer I think it is ok. I was wondering the same thing and did alittle searchin' around. I know I would want to give my little bro a rifle if I got mine, but he is under 18 and that is a deffinite no-no. Hopefully someone else chimes in with a better answer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, like any other disbursement or acquisition, it needs to be in the book, no problem with that.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A friend of mine who has done some work for me shot my K31 over the weekend, and just loved it.  Couldn't say enough good about it.  I would like to buy one and give it to him as a gift.  He's been a long-time friend, and I thought it would make a great birthday present.  I've got a C&R license, and could something like this be mis-construed as dealing in firearms?  If it could fall into a gray area, I'm not going to do it , , ,

If you want to be totally legit about it then buy a better grade K31 for yourself and give him the one he shot. That way you are "improving your collection." That is not only allowed, it's in keeping with the spirit of the license.

On the other hand, if the one you got in was not as nice as the one you already had then you chalk it up to a failed attempt at improving your collection and pass the new gun off to your buddy just the same.

Either way is not a big deal and neither is going to raise any eyebrows. The BATF can figure out when someone is operating a business and clearly that is not you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way you can avoid logging the K-31 you buy as a gift is to purchase one that is not C&R.  Otherwise, you log it in and then out to your friend.  I can't see any problem with either scenario.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top