Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 5:22:58 AM EDT
I have read the application for buying a CMP M1 and it appears that providing a copy of my US Army Honorable Discharge is all I need to do to meet their eligibility requirement.  Can anyone out there confirm this for me?

Also, for those that have purchased a CMP Service Grade M1, what should I expect to receive?  I gather from the description CMP provides that I will get a rifle that I can immediately take to the range and shoot with no problems and enjoy it.  Would I be way off base thinking that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are an honorably discharged veteran you need to be a member of a CMP affiliated club or organization. If your not already a member of an affiliated shooting club then go to www.garandcollectors.org and join them for $20.00 a year. Once you qualify $519.00 will get you a service grade M-1 delivered to your door within 30 days. Service grades are M-1's in issue ready condition they have been inspected out of spec parts replaced and test fired. They are ready to shoot but give it a good cleaning. I have seen several over the last two years and they are in very good condition. Keep in mind that the wood will be a little dinged. You will not be unhappy with what you get. Your rifle will have no rust or pitting anywhere on the metal and good serviceable bores. The parts will be a mixture of manufactures but all U.S.G.I. and the major components often match as original. If for some reason you are not happy the CMP will make it right no questions or hassles. If you want a specific manufacturer put a post it note on your package with a request by serial number range. The CMP assigns the rifles from a list of serial numbers that list rifles that are packaged and ready to ship. They don't officially take requests but they try to fill unofficial requests. So if your hoping for a Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington and Richardson or a late Springfield then ask for one within the serial number range of that manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got my CMP Garand, took exactly 2 weeks from mailing in the forms to receiving. Can't top Sukebe's advice, just reiterate to clean before shooting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are an honorably discharged veteran you need to be a member of a CMP affiliated club or organization. If your not already a member of an affiliated shooting club then go to www.garandcollectors.org and join them for $20.00 a year. Once you qualify $519.00 will get you a service grade M-1 delivered to your door within 30 days. Service grades are M-1's in issue ready condition they have been inspected out of spec parts replaced and test fired. They are ready to shoot but give it a good cleaning. I have seen several over the last two years and they are in very good condition. Keep in mind that the wood will be a little dinged. You will not be unhappy with what you get. Your rifle will have no rust or pitting anywhere on the metal and good serviceable bores. The parts will be a mixture of manufactures but all U.S.G.I. and the major components often match as original. If for some reason you are not happy the CMP will make it right no questions or hassles. If you want a specific manufacturer put a post it note on your package with a request by serial number range. The CMP assigns the rifles from a list of serial numbers that list rifles that are packaged and ready to ship. They don't officially take requests but they try to fill unofficial requests. So if your hoping for a Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington and Richardson or a late Springfield then ask for one within the serial number range of that manufacturer.

So once one pays the $20 to the GCA, do they send a listing of CMP affiliated gun clubs, where I can qualify? Most of the gun clubs in my area have a rather snobbish attitude.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
So once one pays the $20 to the GCA, do they send a listing of CMP affiliated gun clubs, where I can qualify? Most of the gun clubs in my area have a rather snobbish attitude.

go to the cmp's web site www.odcmp.com
and click on "club info" there you will find a listing for affiliated clubs by state
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WAS:

I believe the GCA is an Affiliated club, therefore all you need is the shooting requirement.  If you are a veteran, a DD-214 will suffice.  If not, go to a highpower clinic or match in your area.  The temporary scorebook will work.

HTH....SRM
www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Along the same line, has anybody bought or seen the Danish M1's?  Aside from not being all USGI, how do they stack up against the service grade?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A buddy of mine got a Danish earlier this year. It was a little more rough than the service grades and not all U.S.G.I. parts. Other than a Beretta bolt, the major components including the stock are G.I. Some of the lesser parts were also Italian. It was worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I had to show my DD-214 and My State Rifle Association membership.
My Garand was ready to go when I got it.
I LOVE MY CMP GARAND !
That's grease, not rust in the pic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#9]
From what I've seen, the Danes are little rougher on with regards to their finish, a little more used, but have better barrels than most of the service grades I've seen. I call it 6 of one, 1/2doz the other. I'd love to put one of those Dane barrels on a Service grade.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I know what my next rifle is going to be...
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dane started life in Aug. 1942 from Springfield Armory.  It has a VAR barrel and a PB follower rod and a birch stock in excellent shape.  Everything else is SA and it shoots great.  The best $420 I've spent in a long time.  I would recommend the Dane and spend the other $100 dollars for a can of M2 ammo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
When you send in your request, can you specify m1 or  m1A, or 308 vs 30-06?

Also, for my first I would like an all springfield, can I just request that, or do I need to give them serial numbers, for the unofficial request?
Thanks

WL

Looking for my dd214 now

:) found it
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
M1A is a commercial version of the military M14.  So sorry, no have.

M1 rifles only came in .30-'06.  Some were modified later to .308 or, more correctly, 7.62 NATO.  I've never seen one of those through CMP or even on their website.  Occasionally, they'll come across a pallet of collectibles for some reason.  Those will be auctioned off or sold on a lottery.  

Spend some time on www.odcmp.com.  Lots of information.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Sukebe/All:  I was unaware of the DD-214 route - thanks for mentioning it.  Can those of you who have received a CMP M-1 provide some pointers of what to ask for in an "un-official" request.  I'm not up to speed enough to know which manufacturer/serial number series is favored.

Thanks,
CWO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top