Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/24/2001 3:49:45 AM EDT
I'm gonna be buying a Ruger 10/22, and like most of us here, I won't be able to leave it stock. What barrel and stock should I get, I'm leaning toward the hogue overmold and the Butler Creek carbon wrapped barrel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2001 3:53:58 AM EDT by Celt]
All comes down to how much you want to spend. I have two with the BC fiber barrels, they shoot very well, just under MOA. I've one Houge stock,and like it, but it needs a cheekpiece to get the comb high enough for a scope. You'll need a trigger...the stock ones are horrible. I've one Volquartsen unit, $180, fairly good trigger. The next 10-22 I build up will use a Shilen barrel, I think.

www.rimfirecentral.com/
Edited to add the link...go there and go nuts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:33:38 AM EDT
i too am considering a 10/22 project. i've done a lot of researching on the topic. this is the set up i'm thinking of throwing together:

optics: simmons 44 mag 6.5x20 (midway october special $89)

stock: barracuda from mike turner at turner customs ( www.turnercustoms.com around $250 )

barrel: probably a volquarsten thm tension barrel (with the cantilever scope mount) www.ontargetguns.com/barrels.html around $200

as a side note, i've read a lot of bad things about the bc (butler creek) polymer barrels (just do a search on them at www.rimfirecentral.com)

good luck, sloth
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2001 5:55:59 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
Any particular reason for reworking the gun other than just a tinkering project? I've had a couple of 10/22s accurized by CPC www.ct-precision.com for relatively little money as compared to the doo-dad stuff ($173 for a complete package including return shipping, turn around is FAST). Accuracy is outstandingly on par with the various add-on barrels and the gun's light weight and trim handling characteristics are maintained. Get the B-Square mount for your scope. It costs more than the Weaver TO-9 for which everyone seems to have a fondness, but it offers more mounting options and is stronger made.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:48:37 PM EDT
I have a Hogue stock and the Butler Creek carbon lightweight barrel on my 10/22
. I love it! My favorite squirrel gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:19:26 PM EDT
Decked mine out with Volqartsen goodies-gotta like the technoweenie parts, and the squirrels in the back forty have been awfully quiet lately.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:32:29 PM EDT
The most bang for the buck barrel will be green mountain.

As for the stock, that's personal perference.
YOu cant go wrong w/ Fajen or B&C.

Check info on rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:45:30 PM EDT
slt,

I have a stainless ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen trigger, stainless Kimber of America heavy barrel (bead blasted), extended mag release, thumbhole stock (looks like the fajen midnight stock), BSA 3-9-40 scope, and rings (can't remember what brand though). Trigger is nice and smooth. $500 or make me an offer..

It's a very nice gun.. I'm selling to build up something else.. I'm looking for a USP 9, 9mm preban complete upper, stripped RRA,DPMS or Bushy lower.

thanks,
hawkin
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:46:44 PM EDT

Ruger 10/22T - $300
Volquartzen Fiber barrel - $200
Volquartzen Compensator - $ 60
Volquartzen HTS - $100
Tasco 2x7x32 target scope - $ 50
Cantilever scope mount - $ 25
Condor mfg 25 rnd mags - $ 40

Putting 25 rounds all in one hole - Priceless.

Actually, I picked this thing up used, with everything already installed, for $350
Only complaint... the trigger doubles every once in a while. I have never felt any trigger so light.

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:56:44 PM EDT
I have had many 'kitted up' 10/22s. My current, and possibly last is very simple. It has a Hogue heavy barrel that was around $100, a trigger job (no extra parts, just rework), a nice thin weaver rail with big thick weaver bases and a nice 6x42 scope, and the original stock, with the barrel band area removed, and the barrel glass bedded and the receiver fre-floated. It's solid, reliable, and drills ragged holes all day long at 50 yds with Fed Gold Match and PMC Target rounds. I love it. Oh, plus when I redid the stock, finished it clear, which gives it a nice blonde look. Actually, if I ever get another one, I might just do it up the same exact way - like twins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:14:16 PM EDT
What's 'ya want to do with it? I turned mine into an ultra-light rifle with the lightest synthetic stock sold by Brownells, a short and light carbon barrel and looking to get a Tasco red dot to top it off.

My next one will be a heavy barrel chin rifle.
Top Top