Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 2:28:47 AM EDT
LMAO.  I just got a new Bushy XM15E2 Vcomp.  Took it to sight it in with my 52 grain Sierra Match load that typically shoots moa out of most .223s, ARs or bolt.  The Bushy sprayed them over a three foot area at 100 yards.  WTF ???

I measured the throat.  Damn!!!  It has .150" more leade than any of my other rifles.  So much so that the 52 grain Sierra is completely out of the case mouth before it hits the lands.  Probably going down the bore side ways.  

I'm sure this leade is for heavy bullets, although the barrel is only a 1 in 9 twist.  Sounds like time to try some of them 69 grainers.  Anybody else have some input here?

shooter
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
sx308...I can load Berger 80 VLD's out to 2.5335" OAL and still be .005" off the lands.  

My guess about the loooong throats is potential liability concerns not accuracy.  You could always get a good match barrel reamed as you want and still load mag length.

Sierra MatchKings seem to tolerate a jump to the lands better than other bullets.  My next bench session will be with Sierra 69 moly's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would send the gun back to Bushmaster and discuss the problem with them (IMO they have very good customer service). I see NO reason that your rifle should be shooting three-foot groups - BM should take care of this.

Yeah, I'll cally BM on Monday 'n' axe'em whassup, but I'm not to torqued about it yet.  Those damn Sierra 52s are really short, but this sure seems like a lot of leade.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Problem solved: I'm wiping the dust from my range off my boots as I type.  Just as I guessed, the other bullets were just too damn short for this leade.  I just tried some Federal Match with the 69 Sierra and some 77 Sierra handloads.  The worst group was only about 1.5 inches.  I think I'll keep her.

shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top