Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
Perused Cabela's website last night to cash in some Christmas gift certs and found they were selling 25-, 30- and 50-round BC mags. I've only seen the 25ers on BC's website and didn't know the larger caps were even available. Lots o' bullets is fun and all but I wonder about reliability, spring tension, et cetera. Anyone have any experience with the >25-rd mags?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:15:17 PM EDT
The 30 and 50s may be Ram-Lines.  I don't think BC makes the larger caps.

The BCs are excellent.  I ran 500 rounds through the six I have yesterday with out a glitch (Hot Lips).   The steel lips are worth the extra cash as they will last far longer, yet all the plastic lip versions I have (old 10 rounders) have yet to show any appreciable wear.

The only thing with the BCs are they should be loaded and stored for a few days before use.  When you first load and de-load them you will notice overly loose rounds at times, or failure to "push-up".  When the sheet spring is fully smoothed out, they work flawlessly.

Another thing I have personally experienced, is that hi-caps will cause you to go through more rounds per outing, and any wear and tear on the 10/22 will become apparent faster.  One part in particular, the extractor.  The original Ruger part is not the greatest for durability.  Get a Volq or Power Custom, and you will rarely have any jams, or stovepipes.

Good luck,

Michael

If guns cause crime, than all of mine are defective...   - Ted Nugent

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR_prof:

Thanks, Michael. Should I avoid them if they're RamLines? I've never bought any of their products so I don't know what their QC rep is like.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:53:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KeithC:

Originally Posted By AR_prof:

Thanks, Michael. Should I avoid them if they're RamLines? I've never bought any of their products so I don't know what their QC rep is like.

before the ban went away there was a lot of talk about the ramlines being jam-o-matics, also was given the name jamlines.

but now that the ban is gone everyone that knocked them are trying to scoop up all they can
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:54:38 AM EDT
I bought one 30 round staggered Ram-Line from Natchez (post-sunset production) and it is rather jam prone in my 10/22.    On occasional use I've gotten 15-20 consecutive rounds w/o jams, but the BCs are just much better IMO.

Likewise, many here have had problems with the Eagle brand of mags.  I bought two dirt, dirt cheap from CDNN (like $5 for 2 10 rounders during the ban) and had good luck with them.   I have seen Eagle hi-caps at gun shows, and would like to see if the high-caps are as reliable for me.

What I am shooting for is to have a good collection of steel lips for long term (in case another ban comes up), a larger collection of the cheaper hot lips (for plinking) and some of the cheaper mags to see if anything else works for less $$$.   Even a jam-prone ram-line will triple in price if there is ever a mag capacity ban again.

Screw Feinstein.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:08:36 AM EDT
Ram Line mags are crap.  Crap, crap crap.  I have never seen one worth a dime.  Cheap plastic crap.

Butler Creek mags have to be broken in, then work pretty darn good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:49:24 PM EDT
Thanks, all. Time for my favorite alchemy - turning paper into goodies!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:21:11 AM EDT
my bc 10rder separated in half...the glue holding both sides of the molded plastic must of been put together poorly....had if for just 2 weeks...I still have it now...electrical taped it together...it does not work properly in my 10/22. seems like the little catch nob on the front side is out of spec.  For the mag to function I have to put upward pressure on the mag for it to feed and the last round never feeds right....I don't even use it anymore...rather use the factory rotaries.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:26:30 AM EDT
I bought a 50rd Ramline mag just because I could.  I don't plan on using it much.  My friend has used the BC 25rd (plastic lip) mags w/no problems.  I also have a couple of those.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:26:27 PM EDT
I have a 50 rnd Ramline.  Worked great when it was new, but after a few hundred rounds I started to have frequent jams.  It does not work AT ALL in cold weather either.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:44:32 AM EDT
I've had good luck with the BC hot lips.  Can't remember the last time I had a jam with one.  I don't think the steel lipped BCs are worth $10 more than the Hot Lips.  If they are then it won't matter because I plan on buying a at least 20 hot lips.  That should be plenty, at least for a while.
Top Top