Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 6:04:47 AM EDT
Is it possible to free float the barrel?  I had heard the gas system poses a problem. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest that you discuss this with the folks at Quality Parts/Busmaster Corps.  The design is pat'd and propriety to them. If you discuss it with them, please share their reply with us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I am currently working on 1 of these for a client. If I am correct all of the free float tubes that I have seen are too long and are designed for the long barrel, such as the 20/24 inch. The Dissipator, while it has long hand guards, has the gas block in the same location as a standard 16 inch carbine. Charles.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Blackadder you can free float a disapator. You will need to use an Accuracy Speaks two-piece free float tube. It is 2.25 inches in dia. rather than the normal 2 inches. It is a two piece set up and is easy to install if you have the tools. Brownells has it and their part number is #054-101-000. It is 61.34 dealer or 76.70 retail. E-mail me if you need more information.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I investigated this a little. But not thoroughly. I was told that one option was to mill a little material off of the gas block so a free float tube would then clear.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I started thinking about this after checking out some of the wilson combat AR's. It seems they free float their carbines with pretty good results.  I was thinking of free floating the barrel, going with an A3 type set up with an arms flip - up rear site, CQB scope of some sort and maybe a lighter barrel.  On the other hand thats alot of work and money to make something less reliable/sturdy.  Ya think??
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the Bushmaster Catalogue says the Hogue Overmolded forearm will work, and effectively free floats for less than $100.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Using the Bushmaster 20" GI profile Chrome lined barrel/chamber I had KurtsKustom (see industry forum) build me (what Kurt calls) his Kurtzgewehr...giving you a full length gas tube and locating the front site base in the 20" position..with a 16" barrel and opening up the port a tad for greater reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top