Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 11:10:52 AM EDT
Went to the range yesterday to break in my buddies new 700 PSS. I brought along the AR and my 9mm camp carbine as I''m about to trade it off and I wanted to burn up what 9mm ammo I have (its my only 9mm.) Anyway, I was shooting (very rapid fire) at the steel plates at 50 yds...(ping, ping, ping.) smiles...ping, ping, ping...smiles...
Then I started missing! No ping, no smiles!
Shit, thinks I, I must be doing something wrong.
So I start concentrating, making each shot count. Still no ping! Still no smile!
Well, when I backed up to set the rifle down I stepped on something. I figured it was a peice of brass so I looked down to kick it to the side. To my suprise, laying on the concrete was the right adjustment knob of my scope! (see pic.)
It didn''t unscrew, it broke off! Its never been
knocked or treated bad and the recoil of a 9mm carbine isn''t what I would call punishing!
Anyone know if Bushnell will replace this scope for me? Its a fixed 4 power, older model.
The icing on the cake is that I'm about to trade the rifle w/optics with a guy for a MK II HB Gov and he wanted the scope. Now its crap!
If only I had had the money to get another loopie...
thanks.

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a bushnell 3x9 I was using on an arms mount for 100 yard testing of various loads.
It didn't even go 600 rounds. The crosshairs shot loose (hummmmm...why is the zero moving so much?)
If you send it back they charge a fifteen dollar 'fee' on top of your shipping costs.
Bushnell blows.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Awhile back on another board I got blasted for posting my opinions for not buying junk scopes, (Bushnell,Bsa,Simmons,Leapers,etc,etc,) and was told by owners of such scopes that I was paying for the name (in my case Burris) and was also told that scopes costing $2-700.00 or more were'nt worth the money, optics on junk scopes just as good etc,etc, I now rest my case,Chances are, you'll never see this happen to a Burris or Leupold, and, if it ever did, Burris or Leupold would upon recipt of something like this,would replace it immediately, ship it to your door, with no costs or hidden "fees",Scopes are like anything else, you get what you pay for Buy a good quality scope and it'll last a lifetime, buy a junker, and you'll be replacing it every few years or few hundred rounds whichever comes first....  
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, get a leupold and never worry about such a thing (if it did happen leupold will give you a new scope if you send them a bag of parts!) and explain to your friend that this happened, and tell him not to buy bushnell again... Better happen now than happen when your friend has the gun and accusing you of trying to rip him off.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent the guy I'm trading with an email and pic explaining what happened. To make up for the scope I'm including some premium ammo in the deal. He's ok with that, thank god.
I must say though, that before the scope broke, I was having a great time popping those steel targets. I can shoot that thing really really fast and stay on target. Too bad its only a 9mm. If it was a 45 or a 10mm I'd keep it.
 As far as the Bushnell warrenty goes, they can KMA. The only glass optics I own now are loopie.

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Bushnell Trophy 3X9 go bad on me after several hundred rounds and many trips hunting.  A piece of debris came loose inside the scope and, while the scope continued to work fine, I was constanly annoyed by the loose piece of debris which was visible inside the spope.  

I sent it back to Bushnell and, for the $15 handling fee and shipping, they replaced it with a brand new scope of the same type.  

Sure, the scope shouldn't have had this problem, and maybe Bushnell shouldn't charge the $15 dollars, but they replaced it promptly and without hassle.  The instructions for return are on their website.  

For me it was worth the return.  The Trophy scope cost about $100 when I bought it and I had gotten a lot of use out of it.  If you only have a $30 cheapie, it might not be worth it for you to return it.  Bushnell is certainly not the best quality but their service was good for me.  I have several Leupolds but can't afford them for every gun I own which is why I will occasionally buy a cheaper brand.  

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x lighted recticle scope on my Wnichester Model 70.  It's worked great for me so far, after hundreds of rounds.  I've thought about replacing it a number of times, but it still works, and it's the only scope I have with a lighted recticle.  I have a Leupold, two Zeiss scopes, a Swarovski, two Springfield Armory's, and one Unertl, but that Bushnell keeps on working, so I'm sticking with it.  

You do get what you pay for in optics.  A good rule of thumb to follow is when buying a rifle that you intend to scope, always pay twice as much for the glass as you did the weapon.  If you have an el cheapo rifle, get an el cheapo scope, if you have a full-custom benchrest rifle, get a top-of-the-line scope.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Holosight 2nd generation, dropped it before I got it out of the house, total fubar.
Correction, fubar from a no glass on the front side, although it still functioned perfectly.
It did have a 2 1/2 pound mkII barrel, comp, barrel sleeve attached, might have contributed to the glass being broke on the front side when hitting the floor. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
You get what you pay for,what do you expect.You can't dump on a whole company because one of their "more affordable" scopes crapped out on you.Personally I would never put a cheap scope on anything bigger than a .22 for that reason.Why put a $100 scope on a $1000 rifle?
 That being said,I own a Bushnell elite 3200 5-15X50AO,which I have mounted on my Remington 700 PSS 300 WM.I have fired hundreds of rounds,some of which were hotter than hell and never had a hiccup from the scope.When I first zeroed it in I was hitting 1/2MOA and under,that was two years ago and it will shoot as well today(actually it is probably more accurate than I can make it) as it did then.If anyone is considering a more affordable,upper level scope do not be scared away from Bushnell by the not so impressive record of their crap scopes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't see spending $1,600 on a scope for an $800 AR15.

I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 and after about 2500 rounds it is still working great.

Sure it was cheap ($80), but it works pretty good.  I doubt the clicks are exactly perfect 1/4 MOA clicks, and the Parallax is a bit high.  I doubt it is quite as optically perfect as a $400 scope, and I'm sure it will leak and fog worse than a better brand.

I have never had a bad experience with it though.  It is rocksteady and accurate.  I have shot 1/2 MOA groups with it, and it is bright and sharp.

That being said, I will eventually replace it with a $350 scope when I can afford it.  The Bushnell will get it's long and comfortable retirement atop a .22LR rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You didn't mention what kind of mounts you were using,or the cal.  of the rifle!   The only scoped rifle I have is an old savage (308 Win) with a Ted Williams 3x9.   Wonder if SEARS would take it back if something went wrong with it?

It seams that Simmons and Bushnell used to have the market cornnerd on optics,now maybe not so!     Hope they do you right!     Bob  
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe it is just me but Bushnell has always been good to me.  I just complained about the 15$ fee and they waived it for me.  Had it bak to me in 7 days.. I was amazed.  But it shouldn't have broke in the first place is true

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Bushnell 3-9 X 40 from Wally-World in 98, it broke two weeks ago. I returned it to Wally-World (with the reciept of course) and asked that the present day cost of the scope be applied ($89 today, $129 in 1998) to a new scop of the same or better quality.
Wally_world didn't have the same scope, so they offered to replace my scope with the next better one they had.
They gave me a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn 6-18 X 50 scope.
Brand new.
Thanks Wally-World!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I stopped buying cheap scopes a long time ago. Leupold is the cheapest I will go now. I have a Leupold on my Browning 22-250 and  a Kahles on my Winchester 300 wsm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I also learned the lesson the hard way, that when it comes to depending on a scope, buy a dependable scope!  I've owned several Bushnells and had mixed experience.  I know alot of guys who freak out if you spend more than $150 on a scope, but if I was to spend big money and go on a hunt, compete, or attend a week-long training course, I'd hate to have that experience ruined by down time caused by an equipment failure I could have prevented by spending a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]
At least the manufacturers are replacing the cheap broken scopes.  Now, that way, you'll have a cheap refurbished scope, and will likely encounter the same problem sooner or later.  Whether you mind spending the time and ammo to contend with these problems is your choice.

I have a few cheap scopes, I admit, but I also have some better ones on the serious rifles.  I don't hold with the rule of thumb, "pay twice as much for the glass as you did the rifle," but I think the ratio should be close to 1:1.  Always own one good scope; that way you can depend on it when the crappy ones head south.

You really don't have to pay a lot for a good scope, you can find one for a little under $200 if you do some homework.  The Nikon Monarchs and the Bushnell Elite 3200's are good bets in this price range.  I will also occasionally see a Leupold Vari-X II or VX-II under $200.  For what I'm doing (shooting at the range or plinking) I don't need an $800 target scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top