Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:22:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2008 3:22:50 PM EST by Paul]
Was at the local fun store and saw a display of Bushnell Night Vision stuff. I've never really paid too much attention to night vision stuff because it was expensive. This stuff seems reasonable enough, but is it any good?

Here's a link to some.

www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-night-vision.html

Would really like opinions to folks that either own it or know alot about it, as I don't know shit about it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:49:52 AM EST
*Crickets chirping* Anyone? *Crickets chirping*
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:02:47 AM EST
You may try asking in the ARFCOM Night Vision Forum I'm no NV expert myself, but IIRC the Bushnell stuff uses 1st generation technology. You'll have a much more limited viewing range than with a more modern PVS-14 or something of that nature. As far as overall construction quality, I have no idea. The guys in the NV forum should be able to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:27:05 AM EST
Thanks....I don't get around much. Didn't even know there was a Night Vision forum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:56:29 PM EST
Not a NV expert, only recently got my first device recently. In general NV is very very low quality in terms of picture and construction. It is however much cheaper, $300-600 is the general price range. if NV is something you want to dabble in a cheap gen 1 won't eat up too much but if you like it and want more you just wasted $300+.

I was looking at a gen 1 ATN scope at the store and realized I could not see a riticule. asked the guy he didn't either. came back from asking around and said to "ok, it looks like a smudge but if you look closely in the center..." if you want basic tactical ability go with gen 2, D-300 a great deal, talk to victor the moderator thats the route I went and I am happy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:02:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2008 4:02:47 PM EST by struckzb]

Originally Posted By BarbarianPhilosopher:
Not a NV expert, only recently got my first device recently. In general NV is very very low quality in terms of picture and construction. It is however much cheaper, $300-600 is the general price range. if NV is something you want to dabble in a cheap gen 1 won't eat up too much but if you like it and want more you just wasted $300+.

I was looking at a gen 1 ATN scope at the store and realized I could not see a riticule. asked the guy he didn't either. came back from asking around and said to "ok, it looks like a smudge but if you look closely in the center..." if you want basic tactical ability go with gen 2, D-300 a great deal, talk to victor the moderator thats the route I went and I am happy.

Pretty much what he said. I bought a Yukon Gen 1 mono, I was really unimpressed... It was cool for about 5 minutes, until I realized that I can see in the dark better with the naked eye I then bought a D-300 Gen 2, which was a huge improvement. It provided a lot better field of view, not near as much distortion (fish eye effect). Yet I still was not content, so I bought a PVS-14(gen 3). The image is perfect, a nice bright green, no distortion, no black specs and it came with a spec. card from Litton.

As far as price is concerned, I paid 188$ for the Yukon Gen 1, 1000$ for the D-300 Gen 2 and 3500 $ for the PVS-14 gen 3. By far the biggest jump in performance is from Gen 1 to 2.

Hope this helps,
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:19:31 AM EST
Depends on what you want it for.

If your using it to motor along the river at night cat fishing then spending a lot of money on something can be lost or destroyed in a boating accident is dumb.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By struckzb:

Originally Posted By BarbarianPhilosopher:

Pretty much what he said. I bought a Yukon Gen 1 mono, I was really unimpressed... It was cool for about 5 minutes, until I realized that I can see in the dark better with the naked eye I then bought a D-300 Gen 2, which was a huge improvement. It provided a lot better field of view, not near as much distortion (fish eye effect). Yet I still was not content, so I bought a PVS-14(gen 3). The image is perfect, a nice bright green, no distortion, no black specs and it came with a spec. card from Litton.

As far as price is concerned, I paid 188$ for the Yukon Gen 1, 1000$ for the D-300 Gen 2 and 3500 $ for the PVS-14 gen 3. By far the biggest jump in performance is from Gen 1 to 2.

Hope this helps,

That was my experience with it too. Although i am curious if it's any better with the torch ir lights.......

I got to use a guys pvs 14 with an ir light and i just don't think i'd be happy with anything less after using it.
Top Top