Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 8:35:51 PM EDT
Any experience with these two fine mfg.'s?

Looking at:
- 1)Bushmaster XM15 E2S 14.5" Bbl. AK Shorty Carbine (with Ak47 mzzle break fixed.
- 2) RockRiver 16" A2 Flattop Carbine w/LE tactical removeable handle, A2 sights and M4 barrel...

opinions greatly appreciated!!! Any online reviews?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I could not get a BM M4 type , So I went with the RRA LE Carbine in the  post ban set up and am very happy with my choise, The fit and finish of my RRA is better than my BM and It shoots super
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Skip the AK brake, trust me.  I'm thinking of sending mine down to Kurts Kustoms to have him take of the AK brake and put on one of his A3 brakes.

rifle wise they are both good. I think Bushies are Milspec ehere RRA isn't.  The Tact Handle doesn't really serve any real purpose other than looks.

If you have the money go with Bushmaster.  Personally I won't bother with another one of their brakes unless it's a great price.  At the moment I have an AK shorty, that I replaced the A2 stock with the telestyled stock, I bought an M4 upper (flat top) that I'm sending away to Kurt to have him remove the mini Y comp and have him fit a fake Flash supressor over to keep it at 16 inches (it was a 16 inch barrel, not 14.5) I'm really not interested in a Compensator at the moment.  The AK brake really turned me off to them, and the Mini Y I saw at the range is even louder than the AK brake.  When that upper comes back I'll probably send him my AK upper (fixed carry handle) and I'll have him switch the AK brake for one of his A3 brakes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So what exactly is wrong with the AK style break? I notice that folks here dump on this break all the time but nobody ever explains why this particular break is a bad thing. Mine seems to do the job of holding muzzle jump down just fine, and yes it's noisy . . . but aren't they all?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
First let me say go with the Bushmaster.

Second, I agree with SkipperJ. My AK brake works exactly as it is designed too. I think if you are going with a muzzle brake the AK is the better suited one for a fighting rifle. If you are slow firing at the range there might be better suited ones, but the AK brake was designed for a battle rifle. Yes it doesn't look like the AR style brakes and I think that is why most folks shy away from the AK brakes on the AR's. But most folks who like the AK's use the 74 style brake. It is just a good design. IMO
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, ok, ok! forget the muzzle brake issue... let's focus on performance - accuracy, reliability, maintenance needs, quality of workmanship, mis-feeding, etc.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Still Bushmaster is the best choice IMO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The bushy comes with chrome lined barrel which makes cleaning easier,last longer ,and has compareble accuracy to RRA.Go with Bushy
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Skipperj-
For me, the looks of the AK brake was the main issue that I had it replaced with a KKF A2 brake. Noise is greater with the AK style but if you're like me it wasn't really that big of a deal if you wears your ears. I will say that AK brake did me a huge favor once. A newbie I took shooting let my Bushy fall off the shooting bench and landed on the concrete floor. The AK brake took the brunt of it saving the rest of the rifle from damage. The brake was alittle scratched but that was it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any experience with the RR AR15's, but the 1911 .45's are excelent.  I understand at this point there is a 1 year wait on RR .45's.  If you are leaning to the RR you should check to see how long you will have to wait to get one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I just can't see AK brake making that much of a difference.  The gun still hops up when I fire, and recoil isn't even an issue with an AR.  Down the line, yes, get a muzzle brake to fine tune your skills, but I think there are better Compensators out there then Bushmaster offers.  That's why I say stay away from their factory brakes.
Yes, on their rifle, no, on their muzzlebrake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top