Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 12:01:18 PM EDT
What is a bump fire and what kind of guns can you do it on?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump fire is when you use the natural recoil of the gun to set off a chain reaction that simulates full auto fire. I can bump nearly any semi auto rifle or semi auto sg with a bit of practice.

Hold the gun in your left hand and pull it forward against your stiff right trigger finger - dont pull the trigger. Pull the gun forward so your finger stays stiff. The recoil will 'bump' the gun back but the constant forward pulling pressure will again cause the triger to pull and discharge. There are some recent videos and threads if you search on bump for the last 30 days.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Hold trigger finger straight. Insert it into trigger guard.  Pull gun forward with other hand, keeping trigger finger locked in the same spot.  After gun shoots, recoil will kick the gun away from your finger, but because you are still pulling forward with your other hand, it will keep shooting really quick.  It basically bounces against your stationary trigger finger.

You can do it with most any semi.  Some work better than others, and some take more skill to do.

Ben beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Also commonly referred to as "Trigger Masturbation" technique.... cuz ya' know... your hand wrapped around an AR handguard kinda looks like.... nevermind
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Found out this past weekend that my Carbon-15 is all about the bump... though I can't seem to string out more than 10 rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow thanks for the quick response you guys got a great board here.  I cannot wait to try to bump my 10/22 rifle with the 50rd mags.  I also got a mini 14 on the way (live in communist CA so no AR's for me) do you think I can bump these two guns?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow thanks for the quick response you guys got a great board here.  I cannot wait to try to bump my 10/22 rifle with the 50rd mags.  I also got a mini 14 on the way (live in communist CA so no AR's for me) do you think I can bump these two guns?

I've bumped a 10/22 but you have to use a real light touch due to lack of meaningful recoil and the tradeoff is next to zero accuracy. It's fun to show off though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Mini 14s bump very well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing beats an AK for bumping IMO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I bumpfired a 100 round drum NONSTOP through my AK last summer...

My buddies thought I was a god..

Took a few minutes for them to lift thier jaws off the ground...

I gotta say...

IT WAS COOOOL !!!

Full auto experience at semi auto cost...  

* Edited to say...
My AK's are the only guns I've been able to bumpfire with ease...AR's are a bit fussy...only a few short bursts from them...
The AK's on the other hand, are actually more fun when bumpfiring them...
They aren't accurate at all, so you might as well have fun dumping ammo...
That 100 round drum was empty in NO time flat...
30 round mags are done in a few short seconds...

Very cheap Full Auto fun...

Just wait...
Soon there will be a law prohibiting "bumpfirable" weapons...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a link to DVDTracker bump firing a M1 Garand in this thread, and a still pic of me bump firing a M4 clone on page 2.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=80435
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I can tell you for a fact that AR15's are NOT hard to bump-fire. I know of at least8-12 of us in Washington State that can (and have) bump-fired mag after mag of ammo through our AR15's.
It's all in the placement of the thumb!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mini 14s bump very well

YES THEY DO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]
After watching the vidio clip i had to go try it.
Used my Bushym4,unbelievable fun.
I wouldn`t have believed it.
I used the thumb meathod,seemed to work better for me.
There needs to be a word of caution ,
Only load a couple the first time and think saftey at all times.
thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone tried the various adapters and devices that are sold  in Shotgun news and elsewhere to aid in bumpfiring?
Are they Junk?

GP
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can tell you for a fact that AR15's are NOT hard to bump-fire. I know of at least8-12 of us in Washington State that can (and have) bump-fired mag after mag of ammo through our AR15's.
It's all in the placement of the thumb!

What exactly do you mean "placement of the thumb"????
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The bump is great!  

I tried bumping after readin' the thread about how the LEO showed up after doin' the bump.  

I loaded 28 into my pre-ban Oly and gave it a whirl.  Well, I about dropped my rifle because I was not prepared for the results.  It rocks, but WOW -- it sure is a way to eat up some ammo.  I figure 30 round in under 3 seconds is just not too economical!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I personally think that a 10/22 would be almost imposible to learn to bump with.  I would wait until you got the mini 14 to learn.  The recoil of a 10/22 is just not enought and it would talk lots of practice for someone who already knows how to but it.  Also just remember I doubt there is a range anywhere around that will let you bump so hopefully you have some land of your own.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with the 10/22 not bumping worth a darn!  I don't see how the recoil would deploy enough strength to make the rifle cycle by itself.  

If you wanna do rapid fire with a 10/22, then get one of those TAC trigger lever things.  That is what I have on my 10/22 and I can pop off a 50 round magazine in about 8 seconds.  It was about 12 seconds before I had the trigger pull reduced.  Oh, and don't use that copper coated crap.  It won't successfully feed all 50 at rapid fire with those rounds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree with the 10/22 not bumping worth a darn!  I don't see how the recoil would deploy enough strength to make the rifle cycle by itself.  

If you wanna do rapid fire with a 10/22, then get one of those TAC trigger lever things.  That is what I have on my 10/22 and I can pop off a 50 round magazine in about 8 seconds.  It was about 12 seconds before I had the trigger pull reduced.  Oh, and don't use that copper coated crap.  It won't successfully feed all 50 at rapid fire with those rounds.

I can set up some Geen-U-Wine Sgt. Rock Git Those Dirty Krauts autofire-esque mayhem with my 10-22, with the Ramline 50 in it.Recoil is a bit queefy to do a conventional bump with .

Brace it on your hip, holding the barrel/handguard with your off hand. With the middle finger of your strong hand, you diddle the trigger the way you did your girlfriend in High School, before you figured out "Oh, maybe I better ask her if that actually feels nice".

You can even aim, sort of.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I just tried bump firing my ar and ak this morning before work and it it awesome !  I have to practice more though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top