Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 1:22:09 PM EDT
I'm looking for a sollution to mount a scope on my M1A Socom. It has a picatinny rail forward of the breach, but i would like to have an extension rail that will mount to it, and to the Charger Guide Mount behind the breach. I do not like the side mount accessories, so i'm hoping someone can tell me who can make what i'm looking for.

I'd like it to be tapered on the forward end so that it doesn't present an edge to catch things on, and i'd like it to be the most low profile option possible.

If possible, it could be made to replace the Picatinny rail that is already on the top of the gun. There are bolts there that could be used to hold the rail in place, and this would make mounting on the charger guide easier as well.

If you have an M1A, and you  have any idea what i'm talking about, please clarify as i'm bad at explaining things like this
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
the images below should give you an idea of what i have in mind. I'd like it to extend from point 1 to point 2 with a single continuous rail as pictured in the second picture

I believe the easiest way to do this would be to remove the top rail pictured in Point 1 and bolt the new rail directly to that point. I am not an expert but is seems this would allow for a lower profile mount.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I had the same thought a few years back.  Hopefully someone will pick this idea up and start selling them.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
i know there's someone here who can make one of these. I'll license the idea to whoever makes one, and all i ask is that you sell me the first one... :)

at a reasonable price of course
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would consider doing this, but I would need a rifle to actually prototype off of (actually several to check the tolerances), and unfortunately Texas and Illinois are not adjacent to each other.  

You can't just 'eyeball it' with the critical dimensions between those two parts

Have you looked at this:

[ETA] http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR088-1.html

$65, you are going to be at least three times that price for a U.S. made piece

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, i've seen that, and it's nice, but it's a forward mount... the best i could do with it is to mount a scout scope.

I want something that will mount over the breach.

You're right though, there're not really a practical way to get you a rifle that you can work from

I wouldn't mind paying 150 if i could get exactly what i have in mind, and i really think that they would sell really well if they  met the specs i laid out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
LaRue SPR-E mounted backwards would be the fastest, easiest, and least expensive way to mount a magnified optic on your existing rail.

Troy Industries Battlerail?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
that troy rail is by far the best thing i've seen so far, but i really don't think that i want anything that massive. I have handled a rifle with that thing on it. It adds a LOT of weight. I want something that's just a SINGLE rail and as small/lite as possible. I'm looking into the spr e right now. Thanks for the idea. I don't know if it's long enought to give good eye relief on a hunting scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top