Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 4:23:59 AM EDT
Just trying to find a good bullet proof vests (insert type is for ballistics of course). No, I am not all that familiar with the bullet proof vests.

I have a high enough budget to afford whatever inserts are top notch, so that should not be a problem. So what is the best vest, and inserts you can buy in ARFCOM's opinion please.

Preferrably modular / cordura based.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just trying to find a good bullet proof vests (insert type is for ballistics of course). No, I am not all that familiar with the bullet proof vests.

I have a high enough budget to afford whatever inserts are top notch, so that should not be a problem. So what is the best vest, and inserts you can buy in ARFCOM's opinion please.

Preferrably modular / cordura based.

First of all, nothing is "bullet proof", but some things are bullet resistant.

Secondly, the "cordura" you speak of is the carrier that holds the armored inserts, not the armor itself.

Anything that has a rating associated with it (like IIIA) will all generally be able to stop the same kinds of threats as other stuff rated the same.

Are you looking to stop pistol bullets, rifle bullets, or shrapnel?

IIIA rated soft armor will stop most pistol bullets cold, but will not stop rifle bullets.
IV rated (hard armor) plates will stop a few rifle bullets (such as those fired by AKs, ARs, etc) and most (all?) pistol bullets.
-Be aware that there are Level IV standalone plates that are designed to be used alone, and there are level IV "in conjunction" plates that are designed to be used with soft armor. If you don't use the soft armor with your "in conjunction" plates, at best your armor rating drops, at worse you be dead from spall from the back of the plate if it ever gets hit.

For more information on the armor rating system, click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest and scroll down to the "Performance standards" section.

The "Best" one would be the least bulky, highest rated, lightest weight armor you could find, but it won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Concealment Cut? BALCS cut? Wearing it concealed under shirts or outside of outerwear in a tactical carrier? Need contact shot/FBI protocols followed or just the NIJ06 standards? This going to be a daily wear item or something you're going to have available in the closet in case?

State what you plan on using the soft armor for, as well as a budget you're looking at and your information can be refined much better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Concealment Cut? BALCS cut? Wearing it concealed under shirts or outside of outerwear in a tactical carrier? Need contact shot/FBI protocols followed or just the NIJ06 standards? This going to be a daily wear item or something you're going to have available in the closet in case?

State what you plan on using the soft armor for, as well as a budget you're looking at and your information can be refined much better.

Doing a bit of reading and research now. Training wear, non daily wear, part of full go to gear when needed.

Trying to research the nano plates from ApNano, the ones that are 5 to 7 times stronger then conventional plating.

Ideally, as I am new to the bulletproof vest stuff, something that is backup, and in somewhat modular, where I can add the various puches, mag holders etc later.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I as well know little about body armor, however I have been doing some research to aid in having a serious discussion about what I might end up with.

although I will probably never need it, (not .mil / LEO / or security ) and will not be wearing it daily, I'd rather have it if I do, then wish "I should have bought that vest" if SHTF... the rest of my gear is GTG, so why not invest in some body armor ?

here is what I'm thinking, it will be used  for training / SHTF and a base tactical vest.  I'm looking at a quality plate carrier, and stand alone multi hit level IV ceramic plates to reduce weight and bulk.

the items I've found that have sparked my interest -

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/lpaclowprofilearmorcarrier.aspx

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Rifle_Protection.shtml#Stand-Alone

what does the hive think ? I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, as I am still doing some research on what is out there and what I may want. price is a factor, I'd like to keep it under $1000. from the links provided it looks like it is possible.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with a plate carrier setup.I would find out if it stops 5.56 rounds, specifically M193 and M855. Just because it stops 30-06AP and 308 doesn't mean that it stops common 5.56 rounds, and might be something you want to look at.

Also,  Level III  is probably more  reasonable, as Level IV is more for AP issues, and is not generally thought to be multi-hit. Softarmor backers with Level III plates should provide protection for the majority of the issues you would look at in your scenarios.

TT has an excellent reputation for quality. However, you're looking at an armor carrier, not a plate carrier. If you use an armor carrier without armor in it, you will experience flop since that area is a void-especially once you hang weight off of the PALS in various areas. Something to think about. You also need to pay close attention to what size cuts of soft armor various carriers will accept, as well as what plate sizes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with a plate carrier setup.I would find out if it stops 5.56 rounds, specifically M193 and M855. Just because it stops 30-06AP and 308 doesn't mean that it stops common 5.56 rounds, and might be something you want to look at.

Also,  Level III  is probably more  reasonable, as Level IV is more for AP issues, and is not generally thought to be multi-hit. Soft armor backers with Level III plates should provide protection for the majority of the issues you would look at in your scenarios.

TT has an excellent reputation for quality. However, you're looking at an armor carrier, not a plate carrier. If you use an armor carrier without armor in it, you will experience flop since that area is a void-especially once you hang weight off of the PALS in various areas. Something to think about. You also need to pay close attention to what size cuts of soft armor various carriers will accept, as well as what plate sizes.

soft armor backers ? by this do you mean a primary vest with a plate carrier over it ? or something like a ballistic panel behind the level III plate ?

what plate carrier would you recommend ? something along the same quality and $ as the TT ($250 range)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also,  Level III  is probably more  reasonable, as Level IV is more for AP issues, and is not generally thought to be multi-hit. Soft armor backers with Level III plates should provide protection for the majority of the issues you would look at in your scenarios.

soft armor backers ? by this do you mean a primary vest with a plate carrier over it ? or something like a ballistic panel behind the level III plate ?

what plate carrier would you recommend ? something along the same quality and $ as the TT ($250 range)

This thread may help you.

What is the best plate carrier?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soft armor backers are pieces of body armor similar to what someone could wear as a ballistic vest, except cut to the shape/size of the plates. That's so someone could wear a plate carrier alone without using a ballistic vest.  For some, that's the way they want.  Up to you, I wear concealable armor regardless if I also use a tac vest or plate carrier.

What plate carrier? Depends on what your price range is, do you want a cummerbund, what means of attachment do you like best, what size of plates you're planning on using, etc.

TT makes a pure plate carrier.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soft armor backers are pieces of body armor similar to what someone could wear as a ballistic vest, except cut to the shape/size of the plates. That's so someone could wear a plate carrier alone without using a ballistic vest.  For some, that's the way they want.  Up to you, I wear concealable armor regardless if I also use a tac vest or plate carrier.

What plate carrier? Depends on what your price range  is i would like to keep everything under $1000, do you want a cummerbund, most likely, i'm guessing it also helps with keeping everything in place and reduces some of the shifting?what means of attachment do you like best, good queston, i do not know what size of plates you're planning on using, honestly i have not even got that far into the research .

TT makes a pure plate carrier.

as i stated in my OP ( not the thread starter), i don't know a whole lot about what i even want yet, i'm just doing a bit of reading and asking. it would see minimal use ( personal training and in the event SHTF ) i would like it to be able to handle common rounds, mostly pistol, but .223 and 7.62x39 rifle rounds. the idea of the stand alone plates and a carrier was to reduce weight/bulk, keep mobility and give an added amount of protection.

any other recommendation on where to do some reading ? or websites that sell to non LEO/.MIL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top