Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 4:30:00 PM EDT
The website says it is, but I am not sure I believe the Frenchies and want to know from people who have used it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=465896

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:31:38 PM EDT
No. The only non-corrosive 7.62X54R would be modern manufacture Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:01:44 PM EDT
I have some I got from J&G and it is corrosive. I treat ANY Berdan primed surplus ammo as corrosive. Just clean your weapon well after firing and you won't have any trouble.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:29:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I have some I got from J&G and it is corrosive. I treat ANY Berdan primed surplus ammo as corrosive. Just clean your weapon well after firing and you won't have any trouble.

How does it shoot? Is it pretty accurate? I figured it would be corrosive, no big deal I guess. But I am trying to learn which milsurp ammo is regarded as the most accurate in this caliber. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 6:02:36 PM EDT by nmwaterfowler]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
No. The only non-corrosive 7.62X54R would be modern manufacture Wolf.

Bummer I just ordered 2 tins friday.
The good news it that it should be here wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:01:18 PM EDT
There is absolutely nothing negative about ammo being "corrosive". Your rifle will not suddenly turn to dust after shooting it. These rifles have been shot with nothing but "corrosive" ammo up until this point. Just clean after shooting and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:17:48 PM EDT

This.

It's five extra minutes to clean after corrosive, surely not worth the price of a ruined rifle if the ammo is misrepresented.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:49:48 PM EDT
What the..... There is no need to lie about this shit. If it was CTD that would be one thing, but Sportsmans Guide has a decent rep.

Anyone know of a way to test whether or not the ammo is corrosive?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:49:50 PM EDT
just clean the rifle as usual, running some windex with ammonia through it first.

i like the Yugo '70s manufactured ammo, 3" groups with my M44
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:51:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 308Patriot:
What the..... There is no need to lie about this shit. If it was CTD that would be one thing, but Sportsmans Guide has a decent rep.

just expect it to be. sportsmans guide has a "way with words" . its surplus.

i live 10 minutes from their warehouse. not the nicest place to go shopping
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:27:02 PM EDT
What? You mean Sportsmans Guide doesn't give accurite descriptions? This has to be a first. Just kidding. They do it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 9:39:19 PM EDT by Bettendorf]
What the, but Sportsmans Guide has a decent rep.

Not when it comes to surplus ammo.
EDit to add link below.http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=100653
Edited again to say that I can't hotlink to save my life. Cut and paste link to get there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:03:51 AM EDT

I would say it is safe to treat GP11 as non-corrosive. Anything else, absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:54:21 AM EDT

I don't think SG does any testing. It is my assumption they take the word of whoever sold it to them and the manufacture date and just repeat that info in their advertisements. You could pull the bullet, dump the powder and pop the primer where it fires against some clean mild steel then wait about 24 hours or just assume that any surplus, berdan primed ammo is going to be corrosive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:31:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

I would say it is safe to treat GP11 as non-corrosive. Anything else, absolutely.

What is GP11? I am new to this caliber. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:34:15 PM EDT
This ammo should be sent to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:01:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Canoer:

Swiss 7.5X55 surplus

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 5:25:27 PM EDT by KB7DX]
Originally Posted By Hoppy:
Originally Posted By Canoer:

Swiss 7.5X55 surplus

OK nihilsum, you got me on that one...GP11 is non corrosive. That's why the K31's have such nice bores.
The accuracy with the Bulgy is pretty good. It cycles through the action well and ejects easily. The Czech light ball in the greenish steel cases is accurate too, but it causes the dreaded "sticky bolt" syndrome in my MN's. I have a couple of crates of the Czech and am saving it for hard times. Going to order more Bulgy from J&G soon(if they still have some)
OH! The bulgy produces a very large fireball!!

Top Top