Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2003 2:43:22 PM EDT
I've been wondering what's really involved with building an M-14 clone. I've seen receivers in the Shotgun News for as low as $170 for the Armscorp jobs, which doesn't seem that bad.  I wouldn't think it would be too cost prohibitive to get all the parts, especially if a guy can find a parts kit.  So unless you guys know something I don't, and you probably do, I gotta know a couple of things:  1)  After all is said and done, is it cost efficent to build it yourself or is it about the same to buy a new base model Springfield?  I'm assuming a guy can get a parts kit, which I don't see a lot of for these, but a guy can get the parts.  2)  What is involved in headspacing an M-14?  I know how to headspace a Savage bolt-gun, but that's overly easy anyway.  Can a regular guy like me headspace an M-14 on his own if he has some cheap tools, or are we looking and having to do mill and lathe work?  If so, about what would a good M-14 smith charge for this work?  Again, looking at cost here.  

If after all the parts and labor are paid for, I'm looking at something close to the price of a new base model Springfield, I'll go buy one that's already assembled.  It will at least have a warranty, which is worth a few bucks, IMHO.  Thoughts?  Opinions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The biggest hurdle in a kit build for the M14-type is the parts.  The parts market has dried up.  The last time full kits were available was a few years ago and they cost about $700 at the time.  You'd have a heck of a time finding one floating around, though I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't want to think what you'd have to pay for one.  If you've seen parts kits, where'd you see them?  There's plenty of people looking for a good set at a decent price.

You could find the parts here and there, but that's alot of running around, searching, and in the end will cost a good deal more.  

Anyway, let's say you get a receiver for $175, and a parts kit for $700.  That's $875.  You'll need a gunsmith, or you can do it yourself with about $100 worth of tools, depending on what you already have, but you'll definately need a couple of special tools.  Either way you're looking at another $100 by the time you're done.  That gives you $975, not adding in the shipping and what not.  So it's safe to say you can round it up to an even $1000 as an estimate.

A fully assembled SA, inc. will cost about that, so I don't believe that it's cost effective to do it yourself.  You can find non-SA, inc. guns for less than what it would cost for you to build one.  A fully assembled SA, inc. gun will also give you a lifetime warranty.

If you want a specific version, or you're buildign a match gun, then it could be worth it, since buying a whole gun and all the extra parts gets even more expensive, but unless you really need a gun built, it's cheaper to just buy one built.  

Now that being said, I built a TRW kit on a Polytech receiver because I wanted all USGI parts on a forged receiver.  I could have bought a SA, inc. for less, but I wouldn't have had the exact gun I wanted.  

In the end, the lack/price of kits makes buying whole a better path to take.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't actually seen any kits recently, just figured they had to be out there.  Didn't figure they'd run that much, actually.  I thought maybe they'd be closer to $500, or was hoping they would anyway.  OK, so it's not any cheaper than buying a new gun, and may well cost more.  Gotcha.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
But an all USGI parts + just about anyone's receiver will be a much better rifle than a new production Springfield using non-GI parts.

Buddy of mine up in BC tells me the Chinese M14 rifles sell for $399 at retail.  That's CDN$399.....

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Who has M1A receivers for $170?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who has M1A receivers for $170?

If someone is selling Armscorp receivers for $170.00 as you stated,I'll take 50 of them right now.No bull,no games,I have the "cash" ready.

As Chuck stated,you would be better off with a complete rifle with USGI parts.Most guys are installing USGI parts anyways and selling off the commercial parts.

Armscorp receivers retail at about $399.00
If you find a parts kit for $700.00 that's a good price these days.
Also,I know that Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance will install your barrel and headspace the bolt for $40.00-$50.00

Clayton will also sell you a post ban M1A on an Armscorp receiver for $1150.00 ready to shoot.Up grades are also available.

HTH-

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Complete kits are scarce but I did just get one for $700. It's USGI, new barrel & bolt, walnut stock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top