Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 4:02:07 AM EDT
I've been out of the building-your-own-rifle hobby for a few years now...from what I remember, you only needed to have 10 or less imported parts in your rifle and not exceed the maximum number of "evil" features from the '94 Cosmetic Weapons Ban.

Is this still true? I ask because I see a lot of new ads for parts kits with a warning/note saying that they're ONLY for "replacement or repair" only....I also remember seeing an ad where a company was selling a parts kit that was "legal to build into a rifle" or something to that effect.

I've tried a search (on here and using google) and I can't seem to find anything...maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?

Did they pass some new law that I'm not aware of were you can no longer build a semi-auto rifle from parts kits?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, since your in the Peoples' Republic of California, it's probably against the law for you to even be asking these questions..... I'd move 'cus your can't have an AR in Cali. (for the most part, unless ya want a neutered one).

Mike
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, don't remind me...have

After some web surfing, I accidentally found the info I'm looking for...it seems that as of July 2000, the ATF has has put a restriction on parts/parts kits imported after that date. It puts the liability on the importer which means the end buyer COULD build it into a rifle but the importer is to keep strict records of all parts kit sales...it's a "grey" area it seems...

Found it via:

www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/stratgoal.html

which lead to:

www.falfiles.com

which lead to:

www.falparts.com/kits.asp

Ya gotta love links...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top