Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/27/2001 5:30:44 PM EST
Hey all. I'm tossing around the idea of having someone put together a FAL for me. I'm trying to keep the price below $500.
I'm thinking of getting the Imbel reciever for $238 from SARCO, and putting a G1 parts kit, refinished, from DSA for $180 on it.
Is this all I need to have it built? Can any gunsmith put it together or do I need to find someone with special skills? How much should I expect to pay for the work?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:34:38 PM EST
www.l1a1.com/You will find lots of helpful info here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:46:31 PM EST
You'll also need some US-made parts other than the receiver to be legal. Many folks replace the hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, and pistol grip, as well as adding a US-made muzzle device. I'd find someone who specializes in the FAL, like Derek Huffman at Azexarms or Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. ARS charges $150 to assemble a kit on your receiver, but you have to supply enough US parts to make it legal. Under $500 isn't very realistic for a good FAL. By the time you pay for a good receiver, a good parts kit, quality US replacement parts and a competent 'smith to put it together, you're going to be well over $500.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:05:17 PM EST
My buddy bought a Styer STG58 that was put assembled from parts, and he had trouble chambering a round. He finally had to pay someone $75 to correct the headspace problem. My advice, have a person that knows what they're doing to assemble your toy, or it could be very frustrating.
Top Top