Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 6:53:39 AM EDT
I looking at getting a .22 for my first gun.  I have looked at a few online and plan on going to a gun store to look at some up close.  While looking around I began thinking about build my own.  I figure that if I build my own I will have more pride in my gun and take better care of it.  I would also know the gun better and hopefully be able to repair it myself when/if needed.  I just a few questions though.  When looking at cost is it worth it to build my own?  What are the major things to look for when buying parts?  What is the difficultly level?  I have never own my own gun before, but have helped clean some and have some understanding of how they are put together.  I most likely will be shooting at targets.  

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I quickly looked at Stafford Sales website.  I didn't notice any parts on there for bolt action .22.  I could have just missed them. If they don't have them is it possible to get parts for it?  I have decided that I would like a bolt action rifle.  I noticed the thread about Stafford Sales.  Does this accurately describe them?  Being a offroader, I've noticed that some people say a company is really good and others will disagree.  Even though this may not be the case I would just like to make sure.  I have not decided on centerfire or rimfire just yet.  Would one be easier to have on a gun that I'm building?  After the rifle is built is there anything I have to do to make sure the rifle is legal?  I know I don't need a permit for it in IN, but do I have to have some one inspect it.

Thanks again,
Ben
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
A 22 can be a good start, learning marksmanship is easier usually and there are plenty more places to shoot them. Bolt or semi? Bolts are more accurate, does Purdue have a shooting team? In JROTC I learned some good basics with the 22s they had. Wish I could have joined the team though, all of them were shooting Expert before the end of the semester. If not, the NRA has some excellent small bore classes and often you can borrow or rent a rifle for them. Read the Military Marksmanship Manuals, they are excellent sources of the basics.

You will probably will shoot shitty but with practice you WILL improve.

Welcome to the sport and thanks for being in the ROTC Program.

As for 10/22s, they are fun to build, relatively easy and parts are plentiful. Unless you find an excellent deal used already built I'd suggest building your own. There are so many variations and parts that it is hard to find exactly what you want already built.

Check out rimfirecentral.com, plenty of info there.

I'm not familiar with Stafford, but if you don't rush into buying and do some research you can gain a lot of knowledge before buying anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Purdue does a Pistol and Rifle Club (that I have joined).  There is also a Rifle Club just for ROTC members which I haven't joined yet.  I'll check out the rimfirecentral.com....

Do you know of any places off hand where I could get the manuals?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top