Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 6:26:49 PM EDT
Anyone have this buffer in their 91?  I bought it the other day but haven't put it in yet.  I don't really want to go through the trouble of installing it if it isn't going to make any difference, or worse, going to cause problems.  Placing a thick piece of rubber where the bolt slams back against the receiver makes sense, but could the bounce the bolt undergoes make the cycle of the action incorrect?  Could this cause a problem?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Be our guinea pig!  For the good of the group.  The way I see it, a buffer is kinda like chicken soup when you're sick: "Couldn't hurt!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't I be the group's guinea pig?  I'm lazy.  Surely someone else has one.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
JUST GET AT HEAVY TWO STAGE BUFFER FROM HK. THEY ARE WHAT YOU WANT TO GET AND IT IS COMBAT PROVEN.AND WILL CUT RECOIL IN HALF
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one setup on a FMP stock. It was easier to remove than the real HK stock. You must use some loctie and screw the screws down hard. Not having the screws down tight will make the buttstock seperate from the rifle during firing. Lucky, I double check it after firing a few rounds the first time. So far, I have no cycling problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I have fired half a case of ammo since installing my Buffer Technologies buffer in my G3 clone, with no problems.  I didn't use locktite and I haven't had to re-tighten the buttstock assembly, maybe I should check it though.  Installation is more difficult than on, say, an FAL or an AK, but worth it.  The recoil is still there, it IS a 7.62 NATO after all, but it is less sharp.  Definitely worth the money, I have a buffertech buffer in all my guns that they make one for.  The G3 is the one where it made the most difference, I couldn't tell much difference in my AK at all, with the FAL being somewhere in the middle.

By the way, the G3 is my girlfriend's favorite gun to shoot.  That should tell you something right there.  She says she likes it more than the AR15, and way more than the FAL.

I love this gun! It had teething problems but now it is sorted out.  For a century gun it is pretty nice.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
JUST GET AT HEAVY TWO STAGE BUFFER FROM HK. THEY ARE WHAT YOU WANT TO GET AND IT IS COMBAT PROVEN.AND WILL CUT RECOIL IN HALF

Don't do it...like OKguy said, get the HK buffer.  There are two heavy buffers that can be found with a bit of searching - the MSG90 buffer, and the "Swedish buffer" that is even heavier.  It comes standard on new G3s.  The original factory 91 buffer is 60s vintage design.  You won't believe the difference when you add an MSG90 buffer, and the Swede buffer is better yet.  CDNN had some MSG90 buffers about two years ago, and I grabbed one for each of my stock sets.  Do some looking, like on HKpro, you won't be sorry.

I'm just leery of putting a piece of rubber/plastic back there.  The force with which that huge chunk of steel slams into the stock is just unbelievable, and I'd be VERY leery of deterioration.  My 91 is built to last, and I'd hate to compromise that.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just disassembled my G3 and inspected the buffer.  After half a case of ammo there is just a little discoloration, and NO wear at all.  Also, it is not loose, even though I did not use locktite.

Perhaps the HK buffer is better, but darealickt already has the buffer tech one, he paid his $11, and how much do the official HK ones cost anyway?  I mean, I love HK and all, I have a USP Tactical that I wouldn't trade for anything, but for crying out loud people sell HK scope mounts used for $250!  That's just for the mount!  How much do these buffers cost?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The MSG90 buffers were only $35 from CDNN.  I don't know what the Swede buffer would cost, but someone must have one on HKpro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top