Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 10/15/2013 3:32:15 PM EDT
I've got a guy lined up to buy a sporterized 03a3 from, drilled and tapped, aftermarket stock etc. What would I need to do to make it an a4 clone? Stock, I know but what about a repro scope? Where would I find one. Anything I'm missing?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:58:52 PM EDT
redfield rings , and if you want a good shooter, but not 100% correct, get a vintage weaver scope (el paso type) for it,

shoot and enjoy
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:01:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:53:33 PM EDT
Or you could have what I have. A bubba'ed 03-A4. Though nicely done a damn shame.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 8:09:41 PM EDT
I've done 2 of them.  Both drilled and tapped and Bubba'ed before I got to them.

The first one ended up like this:

I fitted it with a NOS 2 groove barrel (they were available at the time), a CMP stock set, and had the bolt bent to "sorta A4" configuration.

I ended up selling it to a friend because he really, really wanted it for CMP Vintage Sniper competition.  It went to a good home, because he has done well with it at Camp Perry the last few years.

The 2nd one started out like this:

It was $175 at Cabelas, so you know it was a piece of junk.  The idiots who put those sights on not only put them on crooked, but they also drilled right through into the rifling on the front sight.  The magazine body was covered with blue Krylon, and that was covered with gloss black Krylon.    It was basically an action with a bolt and a Redfield Jr. mount.  I stripped it down and rebarreled it with a Criterion barrel.  It sits in a CMP stock set that has been properly fitted to provide 8 lbs or so of up pressure at the front of the barrel.  The trigger was smoothed and breaks pretty darn nice.  The scope is an early Weaver K2.5, which is not correct, but is legal for CMP Vintage Sniper competition.  Some day I will replace it with a Lyman Alaskan or M84.  She is 2nd from the top in this photo:

Depending on what you start with, this is NOT a project for the faint of heart.  Stripping the gun down to the bare action and installing and headspacing a short chambered barrel requires an investment in tools that is not insignificant.  If you are only doing it once, it's probably best to just take it to a gun smith.  If you are lucky enough to find a D&T'ed rifle with a good barrel, then you're ahead of the game.  Still, the stock has to be properly fitted.   The Boyd's (and by extension Dupage and CMP) stock sets are not quite "drop in".  You will have to relieve the area around the tang to provide clearance so recoil doesn't split the stock.  You may have to do some wood removal in other areas to get the action to fit correctly.  I'm not gonna lie, its a lot of work.  But, its worth it to have a M1903Aforgery that you don't feel bad taking to a match.

Matt

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/15/2013 11:19:55 PM EDT by K1rodeoboater]
IDK how or where you guys find cheap sporterized 03A3's...All the ones I've seen are far to expensive to justify saving

And P08....that's just wrong on so many different levels .  Bubba needs to be
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:27:59 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
IDK how or where you guys find cheap sporterized 03A3's...All the ones I've seen are far to expensive to justify saving  

And P08....that's just wrong on so many different levels .  Bubba needs to be
View Quote

It's wrong but it least they did nice work.   Much better than those heavily brush painted mosins and enfields that one of the guys was buying and salvaging.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:40:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 12:44:43 PM EDT by JJREA]
It was common practice back in the day to sporterize a surplus bolt action.  They were plentiful and probably cost effective.  The NRA did it officially for competition.  It gets my ire up when people act like it was such a sin because the trend NOW is to have everything GI.  Well guess what, half of these guys sporterizing them WERE GI's.  And their goal was to hunt.  Not have a danged replica of a gun that might bring back some god damned awful memories.  

Get over it.

On the other hand, it might not be as bad as all that and that's my emotion talking.  It is easy to look at them now and feel like it was a shame.  But times were different.  People did things differently and I personally actually like seeing a really nice sporterized 03.  Because that one is beautiful P08.  But there were also a lot of awful jobs too.  

Anyways.....  sorry if I ruffle any feathers, but there may be a slice of truth in my statement above..
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:35:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JJREA:
It was common practice back in the day to sporterize a surplus bolt action.  They were plentiful and probably cost effective.  The NRA did it officially for competition.  It gets my ire up when people act like it was such a sin because the trend NOW is to have everything GI.  Well guess what, half of these guys sporterizing them WERE GI's.  And their goal was to hunt.  Not have a danged replica of a gun that might bring back some god damned awful memories.  

Get over it.

On the other hand, it might not be as bad as all that and that's my emotion talking.  It is easy to look at them now and feel like it was a shame.  But times were different.  People did things differently and I personally actually like seeing a really nice sporterized 03.  Because that one is beautiful P08.  But there were also a lot of awful jobs too.  

Anyways.....  sorry if I ruffle any feathers, but there may be a slice of truth in my statement above..
View Quote

And it may have been a fun project for them to sporterize it, and it'll be fun for me to take it back!!  

I do agree with you wholeheartedly though.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:37:08 PM EDT

Get over it.

View Quote

I can't argue with you there, a lot of those guys carried them many miles, shot and clubbed or bayoneted people with them. They don't need my permission to do whatever the hell they wanted with them. That said, it's a shame out of all those millions that so few are left intact. Turns out the one I'm getting has only had the stock changed, not d&t'd as I had originally thought. It may wind up simply being restocked, it still has the original peep sight and I can still shoot pretty good with irons. I'll post pictures if/when the deal goes through.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:11:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By P08:
Or you could have what I have. A bubba'ed 03-A4. Though nicely done a damn shame.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/1903/1903mark.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/1903/1903458.jpg
View Quote

Looks good to me . At first I did not know what to think of a Jeweled bolt , but after seeing one and see how gun oil is captured into it Well ....
I like it .
Does not look like Bubba's work to me . Does it have a GI barrel
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:14:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:19:10 PM EDT
Thanks . I could not make that out .
I can find no fault in 30-06
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:59:47 PM EDT

Get over it.

View Quote
What gets me on the one I have is that they took a now $3500-4500 gun and turned it into a $650 sporter.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 8:30:21 PM EDT
What gets me on the one I have is that they took a now $3500-4500 gun and turned it into a $650 sporter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Get over it.

Of course if most of them hadn't been bubba'd, they'd only be a little more than $650 for an un-bubba'd one because they wouldn't be rare.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:07:51 PM EDT by JJREA]

View All Quotes

Get over it.

I hear ya.  I hear ya.  I suppose that's a little different since it is a genuine A4.   But still, you can't fault the dudes back then.  That's all I'm saying.  They couldn't see into the future to know it would be worth that much.  And even if they had an incling that it would go up in price, if they wanted something to fit their needs, who can blame them?  One day we might all be shunned because we trashed a 30 round USGI AR mag and didn't take better care of it.  Because they might go the way of the dodo and be worth a thousand dollars, to just hold one.  I don't know.  You get my point though.  Those real Colt 20 round mags of Vietnam era seem to be shooting up in price.  I have one that I painted a while back, not knowing any better at the time.  Duh.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:31:52 PM EDT
Found this one at a local funshow...300bux OTD  It is set up with a Weaver 2.5 post reticle, two groove barrel, and Timmney trigger. The bore is bright and shiny and is prolly the best shooter in the safe...well, outside the A2 Bushmaster. OP you should be able to set it back in whatever stock you wish (I prefer the scant stock) and whatever Weaver you like for around 200 bux. Good luck, those old o3 rifles are a hoot to shoot!

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 8:59:22 PM EDT by JJREA]
That is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^^^

I also forgot to say to you lancegardner22.  I think it's a great idea to do.  I remember fondling a drilled and tapped 03 sporterized in a store a long time ago and it was relatively cheap.  And I kick myself for not picking it up.  I wanted to do a clone A4 for a long time.  I have an 03A3 and I bought this stupid bent bolt for it that just aint right.  But I was going to do it with an S&K mount.  Now you can't even get one.  That I could see.  And it's still not the same.  So if a drilled and tapped receiver makes perfect sense to build up a clone if you have the time, money and effort.  The CMP might even have barrels and now they can mount it.  If you need that.  

Anyways... let us know how it goes.

And one more thing.  My 03A3 with a 2 groove barrel is a very good shooter.  Even with the irons.  Especially with some match ammo.  It's the only rifle I've ever shot at 600 yards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:40:42 AM EDT
Just got back from a local shop where I put a deposit down on a recur gun!
1943 era smith corona ! Some dope chopped the stock but all the metal was great as was the bore- I will only need a stock handguards and the associate metal to bring it to 100%. Picked it up for 225. Think I did good
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:22:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By captain127:
Just got back from a local shop where I put a deposit down on a recur gun!
1943 era smith corona ! Some dope chopped the stock but all the metal was great as was the bore- I will only need a stock handguards and the associate metal to bring it to 100%. Picked it up for 225. Think I did good
View Quote

You did well . Post  a pic whenever you get it .
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:11:26 PM EDT
Well the deal fell through, the guy thought it was worth more in a Monte Carlo stock than it was in the original. I will get one one if these days though. I spent the money on a reloading setup instead so I don't feel to bad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:30:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lancegardner22:
Well the deal fell through, the guy thought it was worth more in a Monte Carlo stock than it was in the original. I will get one one if these days though. I spent the money on a reloading setup instead so I don't feel to bad.
View Quote

Well no harm done investing in reloading equipment. Mabey check armslist from time to time. I have seen cheep sportered 03's.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2013 5:51:55 AM EDT by SteelonSteel]
There will be another.

I'm not really blaming the guys of 1950-1980 who did the old milsurp sporters.   It was a viable option then, the base guns were cheap and plentiful.  My dad talks about picking guns out of a barrel.   Sadly he save even more money and bought a $10 finnish carcano and chopped the forestock.    I still have it and the box of Global samco original italian ammo with lots of clips.  (not for sale)

Wait another 40 years and they'll be chastising our generation for the God awful random gadgety Ar15 setups.     I can hear it now; "Why those stupid old timers took an all original Colt carbine and had that silly Adco barrel turning done.   What were they thinking?, bunch of bubbas!, they turned a $50,000 carbine into a $12,000 carbine"
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:49:26 PM EDT
I had my 03A4gery out at the club this weekend.  One of the older guys had some steel targets set up at 100 and 200  yards.  I zeroed my rifle and was putzing around and the guy said "try for the steel at 200.  I ain't hitting it, so someone should"

He he he, first shot knocked his 6" gong off the rope, the next 7 pounded his 4" gong.  Shot 9 sent the 4" gong  into the berm..

The 6" gong was fine, it just flipped upside down and unhooked.  The 4" gong wasn't so lucky.  I pretty well destroyed the bolt and hook.  Whoops.

No, I didn't do it on purpose, and yes, I offered to buy him a new bolt, nut, and hook.  He laughed and said not to worry about it.

I know, cool story bro and all that...

But, I do look forward to seeing what the ol girl can do at 300 and 600...

Matt
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:01:26 AM EDT
I can easily clean an SR target @ 200 yds with my 03A3 prone slow, prone rapid and sitting rapid.  It isn't a difficult task for the gun at all... If I am up to it.  I actually enjoy competing with my 03A3 more than with the M1.  

Bought a Rock Ridge 03AForgery from Creedmoor last Spring.  I need to get it rung out this Winter and coming Spring .  Right out of the box with loads for my 03A3 it made one ragged hole @ 100 (all I have in the back yard).  Swapped the Chink scope, base and rings for the real things and a Lyman Alaskan.  Should be a good gun for Vintage Sniper in 2014 and beyond.

I never seem to come across these cheap sporterized 03A3 guns.  Just my luck.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:08:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jaroot:
I can easily clean an SR target @ 200 yds with my 03A3 prone slow, prone rapid and sitting rapid.  It isn't a difficult task for the gun at all... If I am up to it.  I actually enjoy competing with my 03A3 more than with the M1.  

Bought a Rock Ridge 03AForgery from Creedmoor last Spring.  I need to get it rung out this Winter and coming Spring .  Right out of the box with loads for my 03A3 it made one ragged hole @ 100 (all I have in the back yard).  Swapped the Chink scope, base and rings for the real things and a Lyman Alaskan.  Should be a good gun for Vintage Sniper in 2014 and beyond.

View Quote

I hadn't in a while either,  used to see them selling for $200 or a bit more.  One I regret passing on was a Smith Corona that someone turned into a match rifle with a redfiield sight tapping the side and notching the stock for the mount.  I should have bought her shot her as is.    IIRC they were asking $650 about 5 years ago and I thought that was unfair for a drilled and tapped rifle and a notched out C stock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:23:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I hadn't in a while either,  used to see them selling for $200 or a bit more.  One I regret passing on was a Smith Corona that someone turned into a match rifle with a redfiield sight tapping the side and notching the stock for the mount.  I should have bought her shot her as is.    IIRC they were asking $650 about 5 years ago and I thought that was unfair for a drilled and tapped rifle and a notched out C stock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Originally Posted By jaroot:

Oh dang, with a C stock?????  Heck, even those target sights are starting to bring in some good money now.  Aren't they?  Or some of the other ones.  
Top Top