Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 12:00:21 AM EDT
Hello, everybody:

I have this Kar98 that I realy like, because it is relatively pristine with excellent bore condition.  The problem is, however, anytime I shoot the thing, it kicks me realy hard on the cheek bone.  After about ten rounds or so, I would develop a bruise on my face!  I had another Kar98 before, and never had this problem.  Is there a suggestion how I can hold the rifle so it doesn't break my face anytime I fire the thing?  I found out if I positioned my cheek at the very front of the butt stock (until it actualy touches my hand gripping the rifle), this problem goes away.  It's kind of eerie, tho.  Just think what happened if the primer blows and a rush of hot gas and maybe chunks of metals flying toward my eye.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the "space" between your cheek, and the stock is nonexistant, and that there is no space between the buttplate and your shoulder.This will reduce the beatings.

And WEAR SHOOTING GLASSES!

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Make sure the "space" between your cheek, and the stock is nonexistant, and that there is no space between the buttplate and your shoulder.This will reduce the beatings.

And WEAR SHOOTING GLASSES!

Meplat-

Exactly, I shoot mine like crazy and have never had a problem except when I do not have a good cheek weld. Otherwise I do not even notice the recoil since I have shot it so much.

K98 bolts have gas vent holes in them so all you would get is a face full of smoke if a primer blows, but it still scares the living shit out of you.  I have had many ammo failures with no problems other than damn near pissing myself a few times. I have only seen one bolt explode, but that was under far different conditions than you have.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My mauser seems to be a relatively "WEAK" recoiling gun.

Just draw the gun in tight and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with CHAOS4570---Pull that sucker back into your shoulder.If you feel you are to far up throw a slip on rubber recoil pad over the butt.Real rifles are not forgiving if you hold them loose.I always like to shoot a heavy caliber rifle offhand first before I try it off the bench or prone.I am a recoil wuss and don't like to get "thumped" NHSPORT
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Just want to say thank you to everybody.  I am going shooting in a few weeks and hopefuly I won't go home with a bruised cheek anymore.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave one of my Turkish Mausers to a friend of mine w/2 bandoleers of 1942 Turkish ammo for a late Christmas present last year. He let his 12 year old son shoot it and the kid(whom is of average size) had no problem with the rifle at all. His dad stopped him after he fired 10 rounds. His son does shoot on a junior rifle team and shoots trap and skeet with a 12 gauge shotgun.The Turkish Mauser has a longer barrel than most mausers and this makes it heaver. Sometimes heavy is good, 'cause those 8mm's do thump some.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The difference could be the type of 8mm surplus ammo your using, The hot 196 grain surplus ammo recoil will be more than the lighter  154 grain ball like the Turk, romanian etc .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top