Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2002 4:42:07 AM EDT
Just picked up an old A-5 that needs some work and was wondering if there was a forum out there I could refer to.  I've already been to the Browning site and downloaded some good info, but would like discussion also.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, this is general firearms discussion, so don't hesitate to ask here.

I've got a couple of beautiful FN made Belgian A-5's that I just love.  The new Browning Gold is a great shotgun, but I was real sad when they discontinued the A-5.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree.. The A-5 is a great shotgun.. I'm looking for a Barrel for my light 12. If anyone has an uncut one that they would like to part with for a reasonable price please let me know.. Blueing isnt important as I will have the whole gun done soon.. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys.  RotDorn is proving to be a big help, but here is my problem.  She won't eject.  It's a Mag 3" and I've tried both 2 3/4 and 3"s in it and no luck with either.  Seems to extract fine, but the bolt dosn't quite go back far enough to eject.  I took her apart, and the tube was bone dry, and she only had one friction piece, with two friction rings(as per set up for 2 3/4 shells)  I oiled her up, and put her back together, now I'm just waiting for my wife to wake up from her nap so I can see if she ejects.  I have a new friction ring and friction piece on order, so I will stick with 2 3/4's until I get those in.
I'm a rifleman at heart, so i don't know a great deal about shotguns, but with the kind advise of the good people at AR15, I'm sure I'll have fun learning all about her.

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah, the A5.  By far, my favorite shotgun.  I have one.  A Belgian one (FN made), 12 gauge "light twelve" model, 26.5 inch vent rib, full choke.   I use it to shoot skeet and sporting clays, and it's such a good handling gun that I average as well as most skeet shooters with their short barrelled wide open chokes, and when
I smoke the clays, they just turn into a little black puff of smoke and drift off.  

You don't need two friction rings.  You change from light to heavy loads by changing the order of the parts, that's all.   The instructions should be on Browning's website.   I can't remember exactly which way is what, because mine is set up for light skeet loads and I never bother it.   I have learned that a little oil
on the mechanism is all it needs.  Too much is as bad as too little.  A few drops will satisfy the needs of the whole gun.

The mechanism in that gun is ingenious.  I particularly like the fact that you can drop a shell in the open chamber by hand, it falls to the bottom on the feed ramp, and when you hit the bolt release, it NEVER fails to properly chamber the round.  It almost doesn't seem possible.

The only thing I can fault it for is if the forearm stock breaks, it can cause a very serious gun jam with a live round stuck in the mechanism. I've seen it happen.  The feed ramp
gets stuck partway through its travel, and live
shells are still in the mag tube.   A trip to
the gunsmith for repairs is highly recommended.

Inspect the fore stock from time to time for cracks.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, she woke up, so I stepped out on the back porch and fired it, first with Fed. Field and Range 2 3/4 1oz. 6 shot.  These are short brass and didn't eject.  Then I stuck in a couple Remington Premier Nitro-Steele magnums 3in. 1 3/8 oz. 2 shot...ejection! Yes! but TOOOO much recoil.  Swapped around rings and tried it again and now she's running fine.
Keep trying to get a pic for you, but hunting-pictures dosn't want to download today...I'll keep trying.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top