Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/7/2002 8:48:52 AM EDT
How does the Browning A-Bolt rifles compare to the Remington 700 series rifles? I am looking into getting a good .308 Win. Stainless Synthetic bolt action rifle.

Any suggestions? How does the Browning BOSS system work?

I am looking for 1/2 MOA accuracy. I am also open to considering the 300 WSM chambering. Does the Remington VS or P offer this chambering?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2002 9:09:33 AM EDT by 308wood]
A Browning A-Bolt = 700 BDL.

the boss works by tuning the barrel harmonics.
for the price of the gizmo you can get a quality barrel.

you want 1/2 MOA accuracy. that is funny.
you will be lucky to get 1 MOA with a A-Bold or a 700 as 1.5 is normal. 1/2 MOA in the field is a dream. on the bench you might get 3 out of five in 1/2" at 100 yds but the other two will not be fliers they will be your 1.5" group. if you want sub moa get ready to spend a 2-3 grand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:32:07 AM EDT
I have both a Remington VLS(recent purchase)in 7mm-08 and 2 Browning A-Bolt II's, One a Stainless Stalker w/o the BOSS and a Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag with the BOSS.

1. Remington will be sold. Workmanship is lousy in the fit and finish department and after aboout 2 months of shooting it, the best I can get with factory or handloads is 1.75 off a Varminter Rifle Rest.

2. Stainless Stalker is a 270. After much experimentation it is a consistant .75 MOA rifle with handloads. Workmanship is excellent and the trigger is adjustable.

3. The Medallion in 7mm Mag is also a superb firearm. Tuning the BOSS is easy with factory loads since Browning lists several settings for the BOSS on their website as well as in the manual that comes with the rifle. This feature is nice when you need to get max accuracy with different loadings of factory fodder (living in Hawaii this is especially important since we have to take what we can get our hands on sometimes). Once a sweetspot is achieved, record it and the ammo it is used with. Handloads take a little more work but you can set the barrel harmonics for bullet weight and work from there. I have NEVER had to shoot more than 20 rounds to find a sweetspot for my handloads. I can get this gun to shoot .5 or better, 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with no flyers as long as I do my part. The BOSS comes with two "heads", one for conventional recoil (less blast noise, higher recoil) and a "muzzle break" head (more blast, less recoil but seems to be more accurate. Probably due to recoil). Both work equally well with your sweetspot settings.

Bottom line is you'll never regret getting the Browning. I've had many bench rest shooter with their custom rigs shake their heads at my Browning BOSS. As a matter of fact, I won a long range benchrest match last month with the BOSS and my Browning was the ONLY factory rifle there. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:43:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:
you want 1/2 MOA accuracy. that is funny.

Why? What part of 1/2 MOA do you find humerous?

you will be lucky to get 1 MOA with a A-Bold or a 700 as 1.5 is normal.

I get 1 MOA groups with my bone stock Bushmaster AR15-A3. The only thing I added is a Harris bipod and a handle mounted scope. I don't see why 1/2 MOA should be so unreasonable.

1/2 MOA in the field is a dream.

I don't need that kind of accuracy for "the field".

on the bench you might get 3 out of five in 1/2" at 100 yds but the other two will not be fliers they will be your 1.5" group.

I shoot 7 shot groups. I would consider a 1.5 MOA bolt action rifle to be "junk" or "practice" or "worn-out".
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:42:37 AM EDT
I find 1/2 MOA to be humorous because no one will guarantee their rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA.

1 MOA or 1" at 100 yds is easy to attain. 3/4 is much harder. but 1/2" groups at 100 yards are almost impossible to get. sure you can sit down with a "board" of hand loaded rounds and find one that will shoot 1/2 MOA that day. but under varying weather conditions like drop the temp 20 degrees and your rifle will move in the stock, and your ammo will not shoot to the same point of aim and it will change group size. plus a round left in a fired chamber can heat the powder to the point it will shoot outside of 1/2 MOA. i know people who keep theeir rounds in a breast pocket to maintan constant temp. they load and fire within a few seconds or the bullet goes back in the pocket. (now that's anal)

trust me reliable 1/2 MOA is unreasonable.

I am trying to look out for you and tell you that a $600.00 off the shelf rifle will not do what people that build $3000.00 target/match rifles tell you they can't do.

but don't take my word for it call up McMillan rifles and talk to them.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:58:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2002 2:28:10 PM EDT by IMHO]

Originally Posted By 308wood:
I find 1/2 MOA to be humorous because no one will guarantee their rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA.

1 MOA or 1" at 100 yds is easy to attain. 3/4 is much harder. but 1/2" groups at 100 yards are almost impossible to get. sure you can sit down with a "board" of hand loaded rounds and find one that will shoot 1/2 MOA that day. but under varying weather conditions like drop the temp 20 degrees and your rifle will move in the stock, and your ammo will not shoot to the same point of aim and it will change group size. plus a round left in a fired chamber can heat the powder to the point it will shoot outside of 1/2 MOA. i know people who keep theeir rounds in a breast pocket to maintan constant temp. they load and fire within a few seconds or the bullet goes back in the pocket. (now that's anal)

trust me reliable 1/2 MOA is unreasonable.

I am trying to look out for you and tell you that a $600.00 off the shelf rifle will not do what people that build $3000.00 target/match rifles tell you they can't do.

but don't take my word for it call up McMillan rifles and talk to them.

While I do share the feeling that many tales of <1MOA groups are fish stories, I am aware of at least one manufacturer who guarantees 1/2" groups: H-S Precision. Yes, there must be a disclaimer somewhere (the guarantee applies only to the .30's and smaller etc.) and the rifle is expensive, but the guarantee is there.

[Edited, because of a > not < typo]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:25:45 PM EDT
thank you, i will spank myself
HS Precision
"Every Pro-Series 2000 rifle up to and including 30 caliber comes with a 1/2 minute of angle (3 shots at 100 yards) guarantee."
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:58:02 PM EDT
I have Stainless Stalker Browning. In 30-06
Its a great rifle I like the A-Bolt. Will it shoot 1/2 MOA? I dont know because I cant shoot that good. Its got the BOSS. Its priity easy to find the sweetspot if you use the manual supplyed. Ive got it set to shoot 180gn right now. Ive added a B-Square Rotating Bi-Pod that works well. Its a great rifle but I cant garantee it will do what you want. You might look into A single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:29:05 PM EDT
OK, FWIW, in my little apparent dream world (according to some posting here), my Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .308 with the B.O.S.S. consistently shot dime to nickel sized 3 shot groups (outside to outside, not centers) with either myself or its current owner (yes, damnit, I sold it). His best at 700 yards with it is a just under 5" group though. Not quite 1/2 MOA, but I'm thinking I'd rather be behind him than in front of him. Anyway, the ammo used is Federal 168 Match ammo, not reloads. The B.O.S.S. definitely affects the group size, and like some others have said, the manual gives some pretty good starting points. As always though... YMMV

WWoodworth
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:49:32 PM EDT
I know my Browning A-Bolt 30.06 W-BOSS & handloads will shoot sub MOA & 100yds, send me a quarter and I will send it back to you...
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:43:07 AM EDT
Thanks for all your input!

I suppose 1/2 MOA would be the best I should expect.

I decided to try the Rem. 700P in .308
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:34:21 AM EDT
Popular Mechanics did a test of several rifles from the major manufacturers and found that (1) the Browning without the BOSS was more accurate than the Savage, Winchester and Remington and (2) the Browning with the BOSS was more accurate yet.
Top Top