Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 1:20:36 PM EDT
Imagine if FN's deal with the Feds ends and they need extra money and start selling AR's under the Browning name?

Would that be the coffin nail for Colt, and would you buy a FN/Browning AR.

I would.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got 6 different Browning firearms and love every one of them. My only beef with browning is the finish on the weapons. Browning can build a beautiful weapon but the bluing just won't hold up to serious use. If they did bring a browning AR out I'd probably buy it just because it says browning!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My only beef with browning is the finish on the weapons. Browning can build a beautiful weapon but the bluing just won't hold up to serious use.
idaho-ar15

Amen!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If Browning made an AR, they will have to figure a way to apply a thick glossy finish to the buttstock and handgaurds and gold plate the trigger.  Is there a company out there which makes tackier firearms?  They may be great shooting guns but white line spacers and the faux-Weatherby look make me want to vomit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Besides the tacky "gold package" and funny finishes, the "assembled in Portugal" stamp would really turn me off! LOL
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I seriously doubt Browning is going to start slapping its name on an AR15 pattern rifle, but who knows?  How about a chromed practical version ;)

My P35 has "assembled in Portugal" on it, and I am perfectly pleased with it.  I would gladly buy Portugee, Spaniard, Paki or Hindi if the quality is up there.  I'd jump all over the chance to inspect/buy a genuine Spanish CETME or an Ishapore Enfield.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Besides the tacky "gold package" and funny finishes, the "assembled in Portugal" stamp would really turn me off! LOL

I like my brownings that say "Portugal" or "USA" much better than my brownings that say "Japan",I LOVE my brownings that say "Belgium" the best.

idaho-ar15

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Well ta hell with y'all, I have two Brownings from Japan and I love both of 'em!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Mmmmm Buck Mark Pistols.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy:
I am very intrigued by by your reply.  Seems that I often see "FN AR Upper Assemblies" for sale at gun shows.  I have wondered if they were for real.  I guess they arn't?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No, they aren't.  This is an oft-discussed subject.  FN's agreement with the US government specifically prohibits them from selling ANY M16-related items to anyone but the US Military (which means even other government agencies can't buy them).

Some of the "FN" parts sold at gun shows may come from some of FN's US-based subcontractors, but that doesn't necessarily even mean that they are of the same quality or to the same specs as those sold to (and accepted and tested by) FN.

But many of the "FN" parts are really just generic parts that are "marketed" as FN by the vendors.  Chuck suggested that FN actually stood for "F'n No-Name" when it came to AR parts...  

-Troy

One "Silver Bullet" dodged.  I wouldn't buy but only because the thing didn't say "FN" anywhere I could find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top