Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/7/2002 11:06:01 AM EDT
Where can i get a barrel with 2 3/4" chamber with interchangeable chokes besides directly from browning? THey want $307 for it and I ma sure someone has to know of abetter price out there
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 1:48:38 PM EDT
Cabela's has them, but they are about $330.

I know where there were 6 12 gauge barrels about a month ago that had invector chokes, but they were not invector+. They were new barrels someone had bought but never used and then traded for a gun. The asking price was $250.

I will have to get you a phone number; don't have it handy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:07:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AeroE:
Cabela's has them, but they are about $330.

I know where there were 6 12 gauge barrels about a month ago that had invector chokes, but they were not invector+. They were new barrels someone had bought but never used and then traded for a gun. The asking price was $250.

I will have to get you a phone number; don't have it handy.

Cool. What is the difference between invector and invector plus chokes?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:06:22 PM EDT
There's a slew of barrels in Gun List newspaper.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:26:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

I have never seen this magazine anywhere near where I live. Can yuo help me out by giving me a price/point of contact to someone selling them

thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:36:55 PM EDT

What is the difference between invector and invector plus chokes?

Invector was the older and now-discontinued interchangeable choke system from Browning. Discontinued around 1992. Replacement tubes are not very readily available in your local neighborhood gun shop, but very easy to find from mail order houses and on the 'net.

Invector Plus is Browning's choke system that makes use of backboring. The tubes are very long as compared to most other flush-fitting tubes.

Not for the price he's working from here. In truth, $307 is very reasonable for a NIB Invector Plus Light 12 barrel. The current Gun List has used 98% Invector Plus barrels for $285 (Chris Hyde of Vintage Arms) and NIB Invector Plus barrels for $350. Light 20 barrels apparently grow on trees. They've always been less than their 12 gauge counterparts and I've bought Light 20 Invector barrels for as little as $125 as recently as last year.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:49:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:

What is the difference between invector and invector plus chokes?

Invector was the older and now-discontinued interchangeable choke system from Browning. Discontinued around 1992. Replacement tubes are not very readily available in your local neighborhood gun shop, but very easy to find from mail order houses and on the 'net.

Invector Plus is Browning's choke system that makes use of backboring. The tubes are very long as compared to most other flush-fitting tubes.

Not for the price he's working from here. In truth, $307 is very reasonable for a NIB Invector Plus Light 12 barrel. The current Gun List has used 98% Invector Plus barrels for $285 (Chris Hyde of Vintage Arms) and NIB Invector Plus barrels for $350. Light 20 barrels apparently grow on trees. They've always been less than their 12 gauge counterparts and I've bought Light 20 Invector barrels for as little as $125 as recently as last year.

Jim youve been an Asset in my two browning A5 posts in the last month. Thank you for sharing your knowledge
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:11:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite:
I have never seen this magazine anywhere near where I live. Can yuo help me out by giving me a price/point of contact to someone selling them

thanks

Have you tried their web site yet? You should be able to find a used barrel.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:29:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2002 5:47:15 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]

Have you tried their web site yet? You should be able to find a used barrel.

Not for significantly less than the price he was quoted by Browning. When I bought my Light 12 last year, I went looking for the very same thing. Jap fixed choke barrels, Buck Special barrels, Belgian Auto 5 barrels, and barrels defiled by Polychokes and Cutts Compensators can be had all day long for $200, or thereabouts. Invector and Invector Plus barrels are in the neighborhood of $300. Just not a helluva lot of selection.

Rotdorn recently posted his barrel buying strategy for his Auto 5s. He goes shopping after the seasons are over and usually finds some good sales and discounts. The stuff he doesn't want (like from package deals) he sells off on eBay, AA, or Gunbroker during the season. If you can wait a month or so, it might be worth your while.

thanks

Call 1-888-457-2873 or 1-715-445-2214 or email gunlist@krause.com. They used to send a free sample issue for the asking along with subcription information (about $32/year).
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:41:14 AM EDT
Wake up!!!! I just noticed one in Gun List in Chris Hyde's ad I overlooked:

"A-5, LT-12ga., 28"INV.,VR,98%.......$215"

Phone: 256-534-9292
Fax: 256-534-8383
EMAIL: vintage3@bellsouth.net
www.vintagesporting.com
$7 S&H, 3% surcharge for Visa/MC
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:55:54 AM EDT
Two more options/sources (which are local to me):

Gene Sears Supply
405-262-2647
They are a Browning distributor and may be worth talking to about a barrel. They periodically close out certain items at good discounts. Open 8:00 to 5:30 CST M-F.

J&J Barrels (Jerry Ammons)
405-737-0664
He has a constantly changing inventory. It'd be interesting to see what he has. If nothing else, he might be able to get you a lead on a barrel and he's a nice guy. Monday through Wednesday only, 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. CST.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:42:16 AM EDT
Here's another ad I found this morning:

"Browning half the cost of new auto 5 light 12 invector plus adjust chokes 22" $150. Phil, 541-776-0077."

The length is a little short for my taste, but I seem to recall you wanting to shoot skeet. Should be about right for you and at the price in the ad, hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:56:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2002 8:01:59 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
Top Top