Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 8:28:58 AM EDT
Long story short, broke both of these yesterday.  Could there be a cause, something wrong with my press, or do they just wear out?  They've been used thousands of times each.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
LCT? if so is the ram plugged with spent primers ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LCT? if so is the ram plugged with spent primers ?
View Quote

Yes but I assumed that was because the piece had broken, not the cause of it.  I cleaned it out after the first one broke.  Didn't notice primers in there after the second.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Military brass? Did you remove the crimp?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Military brass? Did you remove the crimp?
View Quote

No, just de-capping my own .45 reloads.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
might check to see if breaking the 1st put a burr that is hanging things up
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
might check to see if breaking the 1st put a burr that is hanging things up
View Quote

The thing is pretty filthy.  Should probably break it down and give it a good cleaning and inspection just on GP.  Can't do much anyway until I get some replacements.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
pm me your address,  I assume it was lg primers, I no longer have a LCT but do have a lg primer arm your welcome to and I have to go to the P/O in a bit anyway
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice of you.  IM inbound.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
out with todays mail
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm having a problem understanding how you broke 2 primer seating assemblies when you were depriming, doesn't make any sense to me...
View Quote

On the Lee Classic press, when you are sizing and decapping, the primer seating arm acts as a guide to move the decapped primers out of the ram and into an ejection tube on the side of the press.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I broke mine when it fell out of my press. I guess over time the loosen up and fall out sometimes. I'm still without the small primer ram

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On the Lee Classic press, when you are sizing and decapping, the primer seating arm acts as a guide to move the decapped primers out of the ram and into an ejection tube on the side of the press.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm having a problem understanding how you broke 2 primer seating assemblies when you were depriming, doesn't make any sense to me...

This.  It's a goofy design.

Someone could make good money if they came up with a plug that fit into the primer arm socket, allowed full press travel, and guided the primers down the chute.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Angus6 -  Got your package today.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I still don't see how this could break from decapping.  Did it break on the up or the down stroke?  It pretty much just sits there until you push the handle all the way down on the up stroke.  I don't even move the handle all the way up when decapping.  It's not necessary.  Is the ram turned out of place at all?  The top of the ram can turn clockwise or counterclockwise.  I wonder if yours isn't lined up right.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My guess is a primer stuck to the ram, between it and the primer arm, because I let it get dirty and it made the little ears break off the arms.  I gave the press a good cleaning and will do a better job of maintaining it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Someone could make good money if they came up with a plug that fit into the primer arm socket, allowed full press travel, and guided the primers down the chute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mc donald's straw cut to fit

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top