Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 10:45:06 PM EDT
This actually happened about 3 weeks ago and still pisses me off.  I was at the range and after shooting just 2 rounds the trigger would not reset.  After some inspection I saw that it was just "swinging" freely front to back.  I have taken the grips off and on the right side there is a little 3/4 circle wire arch that is broken.  It appears that the trigger is attached to a lever which in turn attaches to the hammer.  This liitle wire arch spring is what seams to keep the lever in position.

My question is this:  How hard would it be to learn enough to fix this myself (I am very mech inclined)??  And where would I go to learn more about Sig internal workings so I know what I am doing?  Or should I just send it to a PistolSmith and let them do the work?  I am pretty broke and don't like option #3 because it would have to wait.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
hmmm, maybe you should post this questions in the HANDGUNS FORUM. (just click the link)
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
check the handguns forum
handguns.ar15.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Just be happy it was at the range =D.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Why fix it yourself, when SIG has a lifetime warranty?  Sure you'll have to wait (3-4 weeks), but it sure beats making expensive mistakes.

I would contact SIG and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
7000 rounds through my trusty Glock 17 and still no malfunctions.  Sgt AR15 maybe you should try a Glock?

Sigs are sweet but Glocks are tough.

Just my opinion.

max
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Until they explode!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Jetlag

Most of the kbs are caused by reloads, not by factory ammo and of course the weapon itself.  This is prominent in the 40 SW and the 357 sig.

My guess is the loader didn't do quite a good job.  I don't care either way I buy and use factory ammo.

You can have your Sig, I'll keep my Glock.

max
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh-oh, it's dat ol' Glock v. Sig thing again.

I have both, I haven't broken either, and anyone who is unhappy with theirs is welcome to send it to me!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
sgtar15

That little spring should be very easy for you to remake and install by yourself. I just popped the grip off of my 228 and am looking at it right now. You need three things to make this part. Some music wire of the correct diameter (it looks like .031, I don't have any micrometers here at the house, but I could measure it for you tomorrow)a pair of round nose pliers, and an oven capable of 550 degrees for about a 1/2 an hour. Using the broken spring as a guide you should be able to match the original bends and contours of the factory spring. Believe it or not, the hardest part is going to be putting that large arc into it. Also note that when you heat the spring the angle of the large arc will change, as music wire 'comes down' in heat.

I am a professional spring maker by trade, so feel free to shoot me an e-mail off list if you need more help with this part.
-John
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Send it to SIG and they will fix it for free - end of story.

"Home repairs", without being very knowledgeable about the inner workings of a SIG pistol, is a bad idea IMO

Tyler

Yea.....I think that will be the way to go.

maxell27, Glad you like your Glock, I like them also.  Personnally I am betting this spring broke more due to me than do to SigSauer.  I say this because I have had the grips off many times and the spring is easy to catch things on.

I must say I am a little surprised how some people put down obviously quality made firearms.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Takes about ten seconds to fix yourself and the part will cost about two dollars from sig or rbgunparts.com. sig will want you to send them the entire gun so order the parts from rbgunparts.com.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
7000 rounds through my trusty Glock 17 and still no malfunctions.  Sgt AR15 maybe you should try a Glock?

Just my opinion.

max

Well, whoopty dooo. . . A simple part breaks in a fine firearm and suddenly he should worship the Glock Gods.

Gee, I have over 10k rounds through my 92fs. . . maybe you should trade UP?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
SEND THAT GUN BACK TO SIG....
Sig should give you a new (new design) spring...Sig changed that spring about two years ago... When they update the spring they will also have to replace one of your grips, so make sure the factory ones are on it..
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It might cost you $25 or so to ship that sucker back for warranty service, and SIG might charge you for return shipping as well.

I would try to get on the phone first and see if they'd ship the spring to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, whoopty dooo. . . A simple part breaks in a fine firearm and suddenly he should worship the Glock Gods.

Gee, I have over 10k rounds through my 92fs. . . maybe you should trade UP?

WHAT?! YOU MEAN THE SLIDE DIDN'T BREAK IN HALF AND HIT YOU IN THE FACE YET??!?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#16]
SIG will fix it for free. The last couple weapons I sent to them were back in a week. They will pay the shipping back to you. You just cover shipping it to them (and if you are really nice, the Customer service rep may even take care of that). Call them at 603-772-2302.

DON'T try to mess with the internals unless you known exactly what you are doing (trust me on this one). You will end up with your weapon in a brown paper bag, in pieces, looking for competent help (again, trust me on this one).
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

max

42000 rounds through my SIG.  Maybe YOU should try a SIG?

sgtar15, that spring should be no big deal to replace.  You might check some of the on-line SIG sites for the part.  Might be better than waiting a few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Send to SIG, my 220 was having extractor problems sent to them and had back in two weeks, they even threw in a extra mag to compensate my shipping costs.  Great company.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Getta Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Just got off the phone with SigSauer....thanks natez!!

I spoke to an actually repair tech who really knew his stuff!!  As soon as I told him the problem he said the spring is broke...he knew what the problem was before I even told him.  He told me they are very easy to install/replace and offered to send me the part at no charge!!  Told me it just snaps in and since I have access to a P226 to compare it to it will be a real easy fix.  If I really wanted to send it to them they would fix it also at no charge!!  And I am not even the original owner!!

Needless to say I am very impressed with the customer service I received for SigSauer.  I truely wonder how many other manufactures treat their second hand gun owners this well??

Chalk up 1 point to SigSauer....they did me right

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
ArBen

"Well, whoopty dooo. . . A simple part breaks in a fine firearm and suddenly he should worship the Glock Gods.

Gee, I have over 10k rounds through my 92fs. . . maybe you should trade UP?"

I have 2 92FS's.  Fine pistols and I love them both.

SJS Sample

I do have a sig sauer 226 and it is nice and tight, but as my post alluded to, it is my opinion.

I love the 1911 as well then what?

I also like the CZ.

I like my Ruger GP100.

I have a Taurus PT 92

I have Browning High Power

Bottom Line stick with what you like and are good with.  

Screw that Glock is better than that.

I am progun more guns is better than none.

So here you go

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top