Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/17/2008 10:16:52 PM EST
Looks like I will be picking up a SOCOM 16 in a trade on saturday. Please help me out and bring me up to speed on the good and bad of this rifle. Any photos would be great.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:16:58 AM EST
I like it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:28:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By JJREA:
I like it.

+1, nothing bad to say about it
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:29:48 AM EST
A friend of mine has one and it's a nice rifle. I thought about buying one. but I'll stick with my Bushmaster BAR-10 and Remington 7600P for now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:51:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By LgAnimalVet:

I like it.

+1, nothing bad to say about it

+2
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:45:18 AM EST
Performs fine, like mine a lot. But it is LOUD, and you will feel blast if you shoot it indoors or near an overhead cover. Just something to keep in mind...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:06:53 AM EST
i traded away a Scout to get the SOCOM. i don't have a need to shoot an M1A past 300 yds so the smaller SOCOM fit the bill. the Scout is short but not as short as it can be.
i use mine for white tail and in the woods where i hunt a "long" shot is 80 yds. as i don't use a stand and i walk all day, i find that the SOCOM's size is easy to maneuver in the brush.

ask, and it shall be done.............

shorter than an 18" 1187.........

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:42:53 PM EST
I like mine. It handles very well. Paint it so it doesn't look like all of the other black SOCOM's

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:08:08 PM EST
Great paint job - just what mine needs.

What kind of paint did you use? How does it hold up?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:31:38 PM EST
Anybody got one in wood with an Ultimak rail?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:59 PM EST
It really barks!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:44:14 PM EST
If all works out I will be carring this rifle at work. Has anyone added a 1.5x4 power scope or the likes on one?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:58:20 AM EST
I'm gonna end up buying one of these (for absolutely no good reason).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:21:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By Weldingrod:
Great paint job - just what mine needs.

What kind of paint did you use? How does it hold up?

I used Krylon camo paints. It does wear. If you want it more permanent, use Duracoat.

AS far as the 1.5 power scope. Look through some of the other threads, there is a picture of a SOCOM that has a Burris EER scope on it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:18:43 AM EST
I guess I'm the only one who's going to say anything bad at all... but then again, it's all about perspective.

I have an M1A NM, M1A Scout, and M1A Socom 16. The 16 gets shot the least, only because the large tritium style sights that are set up for close and quick acquisition (and are very good at it) don't allow me to shoot 100-200 yards with as much accuracy as I would like. I shoot my Scout more than the other two, and am currently looking for a set of sights for a good deal to put on the Socom 16 so I can have the super-shorty with sights that I like better.

The gun itself is great, shoots well, no problems, but I prefer the standard sights.

Now, as already posted, if you aren't going to be shooting it anywhere near over 50 yards, then the Socom 16 is AWESOME!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:42:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 6:43:54 AM EST by LgAnimalVet]
Slap an Aimpoint on it, the Socom was made for an Aimpoint. We shoot deer and antelope out here on the plains at distances up to 400yds with no problems what so ever. It has to be one of the fastest handling <100yd medium caliber guns around for bear too.

The factory sights IMHO are for backup only....in fact that thing should come from the factory with an Aimpoint on it. The big sights are lacking for precision, but are perfect backup sights if the shit hit the fan.

I have tried a Nightforce 2.5-10 on the Socom, but doesn't mate up as well as the Aimpoint does.

The only complaint I have is that damn little compensator on it is a loud mofo if you are the type of shooter that never wears earplugs like we do.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:50:48 AM EST
Sound like any issues the rifle might have had are now non-issues. Whar ammo is everyone running through it? I have some Hornaday TAP 110 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:30:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By LgAnimalVet:

-snip-

The only complaint I have is that damn little compensator on it is a loud mofo if you are the type of shooter that never wears earplugs like we do.

It sure is. I don't know if that's a complaint of mine but regardless I love mine.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:42:51 AM EST

without getting all super technical, it's a military rifle that calls for 7.62X51. the civi .308 is hotter and *can* cause some issues. i'm sure you'll get the details here soon.

for range food i'm feeding it some SA surplus. i've shot some TAP and Cor-bon, the Cor-bon rounds had some light primers and were prone to "double taps". i like the round but don't need the game warden asking questions about my "full auto" hunting rifle. so for hunting i use the 155gr TAP. when i shoot things i like for them to die and the TAP gets the job done quickly.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:45:32 AM EST
I'll be picking up a new SOCOM II in a few days, can't wait. Threads like this make the wait better, hope mine is as good as everyone's here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:25:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
I like mine. It handles very well. Paint it so it doesn't look like all of the other black SOCOM's

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09250.jpg

That's very nice looking. Actually all of them are, but I do like the different color!

As far as the sights go, they weren't meant to be as precise as the originals. You could always swap out the rear ap for an original style. That would help. And if the front sight is too wide for you, you could swap that too. And yeah, with an optic, that's a non issue.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:30:29 AM EST
I have been fighting the urge to buy one for some time. I don't think I can hold out much longer. Though I think I would prefer the Scout in wood furniture.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:06:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 8:09:10 PM EST by Andrewsky]

Originally Posted By gdblair:

I did!

Current configuration:

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:18:20 AM EST
Damn I think I like the wood stock and the Ultimak rail combo. I also have a Springfield M21 for my long distance rifle, so I am not worried about the SOCOM reaching several hundred yards for me. As long as it does the deed out to 150 area I am fine. I think I will be feeding it Hornaday TAP 110 grain ammo for work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:30:25 AM EST
SOCOM II - loud, heavy and expensive. SOCOM - loud and expensive. If you have a M1 standard / loaded and extra money to spend then the SOCOM might make sense. I don't think you will find youself shooting it much as it is a specialized rifle and ammo is expensive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:47:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By 24ksports:
SOCOM II - loud, heavy and expensive. SOCOM - loud and expensive. If you have a M1 standard / loaded and extra money to spend then the SOCOM might make sense. I don't think you will find youself shooting it much as it is a specialized rifle and ammo is expensive.

Yeah, specialized for whooping butt. ALL ammo is expensive right now. I never found it to be any louder than the other rifles we shoot. My Dad's M4gery is pretty darn loud too. Although I admit, I don't have one and I've only shot one once. Didn't seem to ruin my eardrums then, even underneath a roof. But it probably is louder. The brake seems to work though, just like they say, because recoil was very manageable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:56:12 AM EST
I love mine. Very loud however when shooting from cover or near a structure. I had been lusting after one the whole time I was deployed last year. Got home and landed one on gunbroker.com for $1150 new in the box. I just wish I had more time to shoot it. No complaints here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:47:09 AM EST
Picked mine up last tuesday...

I can't decided if a I want a 2-7x magnified optic or an EOTech...

Its eating me up inside. Its going to be a hell of a coyote gun, thats for sure
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:14:04 PM EST
I bought a scout, just to get a little more barrel. As far as loud, its a 308 for Christ sake. If you watch someone shooting it you notice there's hardly any muzzle climb. That brake really works. I mounted a Trijicon tri-power forward with the chevron sight. It works for me. My only complaint would be I need to add a cheek pad to raise up my sight picture and it is a little heavy to hump in the woods (desert out here) but all in all a nice shooting firearm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:20:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By rdubya:
I bought a scout, just to get a little more barrel. As far as loud, its a 308 for Christ sake. If you watch someone shooting it you notice there's hardly any muzzle climb. That brake really works. I mounted a Trijicon tri-power forward with the chevron sight. It works for me. My only complaint would be I need to add a cheek pad to raise up my sight picture and it is a little heavy to hump in the woods (desert out here) but all in all a nice shooting firearm.

it's good to know i'm not the only one with a Tri-Power on an M1A. (see pics above)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:42:48 AM EST
Well I made the trade and found that I came out better on the deal than I thought I would. The rifle is in great shape and I will be able to use it at work without issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:34:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Andrewsky:

Originally Posted By gdblair:

I did!

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/Firearms019.jpg

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/Firearms022.jpg

Current configuration:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/55555003.jpg

Damn, that is nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:54:24 AM EST
I was looking for a scout and fell into a deal on a Socom 16. I'm glad I did and I like mine very much. The front scout rail is something I did not like however and I took mine off and went with an ARMS 18 optics mount. I use an Aimpoint and can still see the iron sights beneath it. It's a very accurate rifle, and the muzzle brake really does a good job of taming muzzle rise. The noise is much more noticable to those standing beside you than to the shooter, a fact my shooting buddie will attest to. It's handy, reliable, accurate, and mean as hell! What more can you ask for?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:26:23 AM EST
Picked up my SOCOM II today. Won't be able to fire it until this weekend.

Couple of thoughts:

Damn thing is front heavy, just like everyone has said. Not sure about the rails yet. I got the SOCOM II because it was then one the dealer had in stock. He could have ordered a SOCOM for a hundred less, but I went with the one he had. Not sure how to take of the top rail section yet.

The stock just plain sucks. Crappy re-finished fiberglass with a cheap china made butt-plate. I am a fan of the fiberglass stocks, but the way Springfield finished this one make it a poor choice as is. The bed-liner finish is sprayed everywhere, and the extra thickness makes clamping the receiver/trigger group back together a chore. I don't think metal is suppose to bend this way.

I tried to place the action into a wooden Boyd's M1A stock, but the rail section is interfering with the stock. I have an extra fiberglass stock on order, and plan to work on getting the rail section taken off.

Looking forward to trying this out in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:21:03 PM EST
Tight lock up is a good thing. I suppose if it's so tight it's bending the metal, that would be bad. But if it locks up, it locks up. Tight is better than loose. How is the buttplate chinese made?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:22:18 PM EST

Tight lock up is a good thing. I suppose if it's so tight it's bending the metal, that would be bad. But if it locks up, it locks up. Tight is better than loose.

I've been around a few Garands and M14's. I haven't seen a trigger group lock in place like this one. It was very hard to close, and the trigger guard flexed over to the side about half and inch right before it locked in place. The bedliner on the stock is thick, and is causing this extra tight fitting. I've only broke the gun down once, and going to guess, the fit will loosen up a little as the weapon is broken in.

How is the buttplate Chinese made?

Not sure where it was made. It looks brand new, not refinished. The metal seems like a cheap die-cast HotWheel compared to a few other M14 buttplates I've got.

Hope I don't sound negative. Just stating how the weapon came NIB. I had already planned to replace the stock with a refinished GI fiberglass one, so not too concerned about the fit/finish or the buttplate. Is there a certain place to look on a GI buttplate to see the manufacturer? Curious about this one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:04:34 PM EST
Got to play with my new SOCOM II today. No shooting yet, just taking it apart, cleaning and greasing it up. Still a work in progress. Not sure which stock / handguard combo I'll go with. I like the wood look:

Next to my M1A Scout:

Trigger group is still closing up weird in the wood and a spare fiberglass stock. I guess it's the way this SOCOM is. Seems to be getting a little easier. Gun is still NIB.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 4:44:57 AM EST
So I took off the scope mount and replaced the hand guard cover with a standard hand guard. I now need to find a scope mount for my 1x4 power millet scope. I also picked up three 10 round magazines for the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 4:48:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By 220ST:

Tight lock up is a good thing. I suppose if it's so tight it's bending the metal, that would be bad. But if it locks up, it locks up. Tight is better than loose.

I've been around a few Garands and M14's. I haven't seen a trigger group lock in place like this one. It was very hard to close, and the trigger guard flexed over to the side about half and inch right before it locked in place. The bedliner on the stock is thick, and is causing this extra tight fitting. I've only broke the gun down once, and going to guess, the fit will loosen up a little as the weapon is broken in.

How is the buttplate Chinese made?

Not sure where it was made. It looks brand new, not refinished. The metal seems like a cheap die-cast HotWheel compared to a few other M14 buttplates I've got.

Hope I don't sound negative. Just stating how the weapon came NIB. I had already planned to replace the stock with a refinished GI fiberglass one, so not too concerned about the fit/finish or the buttplate. Is there a certain place to look on a GI buttplate to see the manufacturer? Curious about this one.

Sorry about that. You probably know more than I do. Because I don't really know what the markings would be on a buttplate. But I've never heard of them using ones made from China. You could be right. I was under the information that they took old Synth USGI stocks that are beat up and put their bedliner spray stuff on them. So I assumed the buttlplates were also that. I suppose that would run out at some time or another. Maybe they have someone making them new for them.

Nice looking rifles. You'll have to tell us how she shoots!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:23:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/55555003.jpg

That sir...is just gorgeous.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:42:32 AM EST
To me the advantage of the standard SOCOM16 is that you can still use the weapon in a clost combat situation, ie, vertical buttstroke.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 1:22:57 PM EST
Was able to take my new SOCOM II out to the range today. It was back in the factory stock trim. Not a real big fan of the rails so far. The gun would be alot better with a vertical grip under the rails, but I live in California, and that would make the rifle "EVIL". I'll be playing around with several handguard / stock combos for awhile to see what I like best.

Ran 70 uneventful rounds thru it. Gun worked like a champ. The sights are going to take getting used to. I'll either be getting an optic or different sights for the gun. My hope is to be able to make decent shots out to 300 yards, and am feeling limited by the front sight atm. As a rule, I'm a plain black sight fan on my weapons.

Shot 50 rounds of SA '80 ammo through it first. Groups where rather poor. I was worried I got a 50 yard gun. The same ammo is good for 2 inch groups thru my M1A Scout. I brought along a few rounds of Wally World 308 Fed and Win to finish off with. With the Winchester 308 150gr (X3085) the groups shrunk almost in half. Nothing to brag about here, but was able to keep them all well within a paper plate at 100 yards.

Looking forward to the next range trip, and I'll be getting some more Winchester ammo too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 7:10:01 PM EST
I love mine! No complaints at all, other than my wallet is a little lighter.

Top Top