Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/25/2003 2:08:10 PM EDT
Will Breakfree CLP eat away at a firearms blueing? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:56:45 PM EDT
No.
Some people think it does, because when they wipe a blued gun off for the first time with Breakfree, they see rust marks on the patch.

Bluing IS rust. A controlled form of rust. When a gun is blued, some gunsmith's put the "green" (new) blued parts in a tank of warm oil. A couple of times a day the parts are lightly rubbed down with an oily patch, and over about a week, the parts take on a brilliant shine.
Every time the parts are rubbed, the patch shows a little rust.

Blued finishes will always "leach" a little rusty looking residue.
ClP Breakfree is just a better cleaner than ordinary oils, so it will remove more stain.

It doesn't hurt the finish.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:23:16 PM EDT
It's good stuff. Some brands (read: cheaper) will have blueing rub off easier than others.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
Thanks. I asked this question because I just found my uncles OLD S&W Model 58 (41 Rem. Mag.) I cleaned it, (bore and cylinders clean as a whistle after years of storage!) then applied Breakfree to the bore, cylinders, and all metal surfaces. Then after I put it away, I thought to myself, "I wonder if CLP is bad for blueing?" I guess not though. Another question, is CLP bad for wood (grips)?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:21:02 PM EDT
Any oil will stain wood to some extent. Just wipe off the grips with a dry rag/patch & you should have no problem.

Or you can do as I do & take the grips off while you oil the frame.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:49:21 PM EDT
Good idea.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/25/2003 7:48:10 PM EDT by Lazyshooter]
In my experience, I have had BreakFree take some of the finish off of an old rifle and would not recommend it for wiping down the outside of an older gun. I was using it in the action and some spilled to the outside and took off some blueing (I would define it more as "patina" really) down to bare metal and I was bummed. Haven't tried it on a modern blued gun, but for me, never again for the outside.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:29:33 PM EDT
Uh oh, how old was this gun?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:41:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hickboy:
Uh oh, how old was this gun?

If I remember, it was from the late 19th century, so pretty old and the blueing was more brown than anything. The finish was fragile, but with Rem Oil, regular old Hoppes gun oil and others that I had used previously to prevent rust, I never had that problem with that rifle. The finish came off instantly, so I knew right away.

I guess I should have known that a multi-purpose lube with a cleaner could get spilled on the outside and do what it did.

Other people I've talked to have not had problems with blued guns, but theirs weren't nearly as old as the one I was using Break Free on.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:32:02 PM EDT
Oh ok, this revolver is like 70's. See, I'm 15, so that is old to me!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:50:16 PM EDT
I just finished up some hot blueing this weekend.
This is how it works.....
One the parts come out of the hot blue it goes into a water bath.. 30 mins later it goes into a water soluble bath. 30 mins later gets pulled out and wiped down. Then heavily sprayed with REM oil(the best I found) and wrapped with paper towels. Let set for 2-3 days(for leach out).
After the wait wipe all parts down again. assemble. Wipe down again. And one more time before the customer picks it up(wipe down again).
The bluing will leach for months-years depending on use.

NO CLP will not affect bluing(new bluing). I have had probs with it affecting a cold blue, but thats different.
Top Top