Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2010 3:00:03 PM EDT
This has been discussed here but i thought i would give some personal testimony. Im using a tbumblers tumbler model b with stainless steel media mixed with hot water, dish soap, and a sprinkle of leminshine. They started so muddy and full of rocks that they kept pushing out my dacapping pin. In a few hours i will post pics of the finished product. When I get done they should look like new.

from here on i entered all the pictures backwards in the order that i clean brass, sorry, just start from the bottom of the post and go up.

also, when the brass came out of the tumbler the whole load was almost white in color. That is what perfectly clean RAW brass looks like. After it sits around for a week it turns that pretty gold color that most people are used to seeing. I think the gold color comes from corroding while exposed to the air. I included some older pretty gold brass on the left side of the above pictures to depict what they will look like later.

Also, bear in mind that the three dark colored pieces of brass are the ugliest specimens that i could find. Still they are clean on the inside and outside. They arent a pretty white color but they still lack any carbon fouling or dirt to get blown into your barrel during shooting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the after pics~
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Below pics are brass thats been fired a dozen times and cleaned on the last range trip combined with brass that i dug out of the mud and are probably 2 yrs old. The benefit of this tumbling method is that i never have to pay for new materials and that i can literally excavate brass from the dirt and shoot it out of my nicest guns with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been able to find pricing for the Thumler's. I'm guessing they're pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait to see how it turns out. I have some pretty nasty 45 ACP and 223 brass laying around.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't been able to find pricing for the Thumler's. I'm guessing they're pretty expensive.

Here is where I got mine.  Takes time to process large quantities, but for me, the end justifies the means.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think i paid about 150 for mine. thats about 75 more than the regular vibratory tumblers but mine will last forever, will get my brass 10 times cleaner both on the outside of the cases and also inside the cases and in the primer pockets. I will also probably never need to buy more tumbler media and i wont have to worry about inhaling airborne lead particles. The environmental hazard gets washed down the drain instead of blowing around in my house and if wear latex gloves (which im often too lazy or unprepared to do) then i can completely isolate myself from the badness (sweet glorious lead).

I'll post pics in a little while, im enjoying an adult beverage and spending quality time with the wife. The longer they tumble, the shiner and prettier that they get.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is where I got mine.  Takes time to process large quantities, but for me, the end justifies the means.

Well, the price is lower than I expected, but still more than I'm willing to pay. I guess I'll carry on with plans to build my own from a 35 gallon drum.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the price is lower than I expected, but still more than I'm willing to pay. I guess I'll carry on with plans to build my own from a 35 gallon drum.

thats cool but i dont think youre going to be able to get a 35 pound drum watertight and if you do its going to cost you both kidneys to purchase enough stainless media to fill it and you would have to be running a commerical reloading company to get your hands on enough brass to tumble consistently.

Regular tumblers work fine for polishing up the outside of the brass, but you need a wet tumbler with heavy, hard media to scour the inside and primer pockets.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
also they're currently selling for 153.13 on amazon.com

Then again, you can but almost everything cheaper on amazon.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats cool but i dont think youre going to be able to get a 35 pound drum watertight and if you do its going to cost you both kidneys to purchase enough stainless media to fill it and you would have to be running a commerical reloading company to get your hands on enough brass to tumble consistently.

Regular tumblers work fine for polishing up the outside of the brass, but you need a wet tumbler with heavy, hard media to scour the inside and primer pockets.

That means there's also room for a five gallon bucket size version.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pimp, if you can make it work then go for it! Im just trying to throw some alternative options out there to better the shooting community. If you can one up me with a 5 gallon bucket invention then go for it and i will happily steal your idea for my own benefit.

Like i said (or i think i said?) i didnt come up with this, i just stole it from somebody who did because it was a great idea.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pimp if you can make it work then go for it! Im just trying to throw some alternative options out there to better the shooting community. If you can one up me with a 5 gallon bucket invention then go for it and i will happily steal your idea for my own benefit.

Like i said (or i think i said?) i didnt come up with this, i just stole it from somebody who did because it was a great idea.

it actually should be relatively easy to do with a 5 gallon bucket. It will essentially be just a metal stand with rollers, one of which will rotate the bucket via a gear reduction motor. I do things in batches, especially tumbling, and from what I have read so far, the stainless media in the thumlers doesn't allow nearly enough capacity(for me) for bulk processing.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pimp if you can make it work then go for it! Im just trying to throw some alternative options out there to better the shooting community. If you can one up me with a 5 gallon bucket invention then go for it and i will happily steal your idea for my own benefit.

it actually should be relatively easy to do with a 5 gallon bucket. It will essentially be just a metal stand with rollers, one of which will rotate the bucket via a gear reduction motor. I do things in batches, especially tumbling, and from what I have read so far, the stainless media in the thumlers doesn't allow nearly enough capacity(for me) for bulk processing.

Your idea definately sounds interesting! I would like to see you make a watertight bucket that can be tumbled and would then like to see pictures and a video of it in action. If you can make it happen then i will be willing to subscribe to your newsletter and purchase one of my own.

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Where does one find that media?

I like the idea of washing the contaminants down the drain.  Except I plan on moving into the country in a few years where I'll be on a well and a septic system.  I'd hate to contaminate my own ground water.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Now I know this was a tried and true method of cleaning brass.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356929_200356929

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#17]
That Tumlers tumbler looks like something I could use, right now I'm decapping & cleaning/polishing in a tumbler and after that I run the brass through the Ultrasonic cleaner for 5 Min's to remove any residue inside the case body & neck(keeps neck tension consistent) and it does OK at best cleaning the PP's out.

So that's two steps and I still have to use a PP uniformer to clean the PP completely cle an, the Tumlers tumbler would clean the inside and out like new but I would still have to tumble to polish because I like my brass to BLING! and from the pic's you don't get any bling just clean with the SS media in the Tumlers tumbler but would save me the PP uniformer step which consumes much time if your doing a large batch of brass.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your idea definately sounds interesting! I would like to see you make a watertight bucket that can be tumbled and would then like to see pictures and a video of it in action. If you can make it happen then i will be willing to subscribe to your newsletter and purchase one of my own.

Here you go, you guys are behind the times LOL

5 gallon bucket tumbler setup
second vid

Now this is a tumbler LoL
Lathe tumbler
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
snip

Here you go, you guys are behind the times LOL

5 gallon bucket tumbler setup
second vid

Now this is a tumbler LoL
Lathe tumbler

The key to the Thumblers model b tumbler is the hexagonal body, like in the lathe tumbler video.  See how the 5 gallon bucket tumbler did nothing without the insert to cause the contents to tumble.  

However, I think the lathe tumbler was spinning just a little too fast to actually "tumble" the contents.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
In all honesty, you're pictures don't give the Stainless Steel method any justice.  Those are dull as hell.  Throw a 9mm case full of lemishine and you'll get brass like this everytime:

They are this clean inside and out..including the primer pocket.  Never cleaned a primer pocket by hand, nor will I ever have to.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah i didnt toss too much leminshine in there. I also didnt bother to rinse these things off after digging them from their muddy tomb. There were literally filled with mud. Also, im not really all that concerned with them looking good as long as they're clean and shootable. All but three look good, but ALL of them are really clean. Also, i think that the mud soaked up alot of the beautifying action of the leminshine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Stainless media, I'm a convert.  Sold my vibrating tumblers.

Add brass or any caliber, squirt of Ivory, good dash of Lemmishine, scalding hot water.  After thirty minutes you achieve 85%, getting to 100% requires another two hours.

Rubber gloves helps keep the hands clean, rinse the tumbler, remove cases by hand and dip them back into the water with primer pockets facing up - any remaining media will fall out.  Bounce them off of a towel, then rinse again in a bucket.  Let them sit for a few days to dry out.

Brass is clean, no dust.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Salvage a motor and the controls out of a treadmill.  Enough power and speed control, all ready to go.

Brilliant!  

Now tell me how to convince the wife that this is the best thing to do with the treadmill she never uses.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Salvage a motor and the controls out of a treadmill.  Enough power and speed control, all ready to go.

Brilliant!  

Now tell me how to convince the wife that this is the best thing to do with the treadmill she never uses.

Remove the motor...

If she ever tries to use it again...

(while looking innocent & surprised)... say:
"HMMM... Must have burned out, you know they don't make things like they used too!"

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I just threw in some nickel powered* cases with a recent batch.

Nickel held up fine, no chipping on the edges or anything

* yeah, that's right ..... powered
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top