Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 5:23:46 AM EDT
If you want to skip the prelim info please skip down to the spent brass in question.

This is a 5.56 parent case wildcat trimmed a bit and necked up for 6.5.  Member Dr69er has been working on it.  Barrel is an 18" mid gas from BHW that I had converted for my MRP upper by DBMG.  Also had DBMG put on the Noveske switchblock.  I got my dies and a selection of 20 test rounds from Dr69er on Friday and shot the first 10 on Saturday.  I sighted in at 25 and Chronoed the 120 grain HotCors.  Was running an FA carrier and H2 at first shot but did not cycle so put in a standard carbine buffer.  Ejected but still did not strip a round.  

First 5 rounds w/ 120grain HotCor (these were over H335).  Was anticipating 2400s given results another member with an 18".

Check out the trimmed but not yet sized brass on the left.  

Trimmed 5.56 (to 41.65mm vs 45mm), 85 grain Sierra Varminter, 95 grain VMAX, 120 grain Speer Hot-Cor

I'm concerned about these consistent raised welts on the brass.  Does it suggest a rough chamber?  Does the barrel need to go back to BHW?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried to shine a really bright light up into the chamber of the barrel? It is a strange welt on those cases. And I am seeing what looks like a ribbon that drops down and crosses over it's self.
And the cross over point is at the same place as the ejection scratch on the case's mouth. I am leaning in the same direction as you, a rough cut in the chamber. Weather or not you see any thing looking into the chamber. I would consider sending back the barrel along with 2 or 3 cases.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Primers look good.

Those funny marks near the shoulder, not so much.

I would call monday morning after I inspected the chamber closely.

Get a fine piece of wire or a dental hook type tool and see if you can feel any ridges (assuming you can't see anything with the light).

There's got to be a problem with the chamber given the consistency of the brass markings.    

You could even mark the end of the brass when chambered as a reference (ie a mark at 3 O'clock pointing at the ejection port), fire two or three rounds this way and I'd bet a dollar the cross-type markings line up exactly case to case.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all... will yank the barrel and try to get a picture of the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The case necks are certainly short enough.

Attempt to retain capacity.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Was not able to get a picture but was able to clearly see the rough ribbon looking cross cut in the chamber at about 5:30 though the band appears to go all the way around.

Would a polish likely be sufficient?  The welt is meaningful enough that I'm thinking it might require a new chamber (though my experience with these issues is limited).
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was not able to get a picture but was able to clearly see the rough ribbon looking cross cut in the chamber at about 5:30 though the band appears to go all the way around.

Would a polish likely be sufficient?  The welt is meaningful enough that I'm thinking it might require a new chamber (though my experience with these issues is limited).

Even if you could polish the chamber enough for the marks to be removed you are going to have other issues. The chamber is going to be much larger than spec and you are going to work your brass  really hard. That is if they don't fail immediately from the excessive space. There is no way I would try to polish a galling that deep out.

I suspect they are going to have to set the barrel back and rechamber it. That is a lot to take off because it is on the side wall of the chamber. Once they are done they are probably going to have to redrill the gas port in another location after they get the extension in place and the headspace set. And they may have to drill and tap the old port for a setscrew to block it off depending on how much they wind up taking off the chamber end. It also might take some maching on the barrel shoulder for the extension to get to the proper headspace.

Definitely a lot of fixing that will need to be done.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like the reamer caught a chip and gouged the chamber. I would have trashed that barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the reamer caught a chip and gouged the chamber. I would have trashed that barrel.

I'm going to ask for a replacement.  Sucks because I had them send it directly to DBMG for MRP conversion and switchblock install.  That process will have to be repeated.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to ask for a replacement.  Sucks because I had them send it directly to DBMG for MRP conversion and switchblock install.  That process will have to be repeated.

Not out of your pocket, I hope. That's some shoddy work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess, as well.
Whomever chambered that barrel is responsible for a new one, and all related costs, including shipping both ways, etc.
I wouldn't settle for anything less.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The case necks are certainly short enough.

Attempt to retain capacity.  

It doesn't help neck tension.

Will get a custom Lee FCD to alleviate potential issues.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess, as well.
Whomever chambered that barrel is responsible for a new one, and all related costs, including shipping both ways, etc.
I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Spoke with BHW and they say they will take care of everything (will see).  Will ship the barrel back tomorrow.  Thanks to all for the input.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Good for them for standing behind the product.
Stuff happens; it's how well they deal with it that separates the wheat from the chaff...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top