Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2012 10:20:25 AM EDT
I've done some searching but haven't seen much personal experience posted. I'm looking at putting a Battle Comp 2.0 or a Surefire MB556K on my LMT MRP 10.5 inch. I have a Battle Comp 1.5 on my 14.5 inch and I really like it and it's pleasant to shoot, but I don't really have much experience with one on a 10.5. This is my duty weapon mind you, so I would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with an SBR with a Surefire Brake or Battle Comp? I have read that they are loud (I know any SBR is going to be loud) but is an SBR with a brake going to be terrible? Any information would be of great assistance.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:33:00 AM EDT
Everyone says its crazy loud on a 10.5, but I'm putting an AAC BRAKEOUT on mine, which has the muzzle brake chamber as well as a short 3 prong flash hider on my 10 1/4 inch one, it will be used to mount my 7.62 SDN-6 but I will shoot it suppressed and unsuppressed
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:41:36 AM EDT
SBRs are supposedly so much louder, but they're really not. The first time I shot my 10.5 (It had an A2 flash hider), I was expecting the earth to open up from the shear awesomeness of the noise. I pulled the trigger and realized that it sounded just like my 16" with a Smith Vortex.

I decide a BC 1.0 would be awesome on my 10.5". It lasted all of about 40 rounds or so. The noise was a little louder, but it was not a big deal. What I disliked was the exponentially increased concussion. Concussion was something I never thought of when shooting ARs before. My sinuses were rattled with every single shot and it was too uncomfortable.

I will say that I'm usually limited to shooting at a range where I cannot rapid fire. Supposedly, the BC makes follow-up shots really easy, but there is little recoil with an AR anyway. If split-seconds for follow-up shots is something that is worth it to you, then the BC or Surefire brake is worth it. If shooting comfortably is more important, then stick to a simple A2 or some other flash hider. I'm using an AAC 51t Blackout on all of my rifles now. Concussion is a non-issue and my SDN-6 will lock up to it once it gets approved.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:49:27 AM EDT
I recently added the YHNM 762 QD Brake to one of my 10.5" 762x39 uppers. It was a bit noticeable in terms of being gassed in the face prior to me getting my suppressor but not awful. I can't imagine shooting unsuppressed now though
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2012 3:09:23 PM EDT by LeonC]
Concussion is the reason I won't be adding a BC to my 10.3" build.
I will slap it on my 11.5" build though.
If it's still too much to bare, I'll take it off and save it for another build.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:55:57 PM EDT
OK, thanks for the input guys!
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:09:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:

Your toe is going to give me nightmares.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:20:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LeonC:

LOL!
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:19:23 PM EDT
I built at 10.5" pistol and put a vortex flash hider on it. The first time shooting it motivated me to order an M4-2000. While waiting on the stamp I installed the AAC brake. The thing is super loud. I mean loud is a relative term, but the reaction of most people in the vincinity is 'damn what the heck is that'. Suppressed is very nice though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:01:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LeonC:

Then don't stand barefoot near a braked 10.5" m4.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:34:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GunFun36:
Everyone says its crazy loud on a 10.5, but I'm putting an AAC BRAKEOUT on mine, which has the muzzle brake chamber as well as a short 3 prong flash hider on my 10 1/4 inch one, it will be used to mount my 7.62 SDN-6 but I will shoot it suppressed and unsuppressed

I have the Brakeout on my 10.5 and I will not shoot it again until my M4-2000 comes in (1 more month!!!). I have cleared the line by three people on either side of me at the range. It is louder than a MF'r
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:47:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2012 11:53:00 AM EDT by Just_Tom]
The battlecomp is not that much louder than an A2. There is a small amount more concussion, it isn't really that bad. And that's shooting at my local indoor range. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it outdoors yet, but I would assume that it is not bad at all outdoors. I don't understand all the people talking about sinus rattling, tooth shaking concussion. It isn't like that. Some guys must just be more sensitive. BTW, I'm referring to the BC2.0 on my 10.5".
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 11:56:55 AM EDT
Thanks for everyones input!
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 3:51:03 AM EDT
I have a 10.5 with an AAC brake. It's is unbearable without the can. It rattles the teeth in your skull.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:46:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KaiK:
I have a 10.5 with an AAC brake. It's is unbearable without the can. It rattles the teeth in your skull.

This.

My 10.5" with an A2 sounded basically like a 16" with an A2 from the shooter's perspective, and was a little blasty to the sides. My 10.5" with a brake is stupid from the shooter's perspective, and acts as a riot control device to the sides.

I wouldn't put anything other than a flash hider on a duty weapon, especially on a 10.5".
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 12:29:19 PM EDT
My 5.56mm 10.3" with an extended A2 on it is stupid concussive and noticeably louder than with
my 16" upper in same caliber. More so for the people at the range to my immediate left and right.
Every time I shoot it at the public range, people say "What the fuck is he shooting?" when we fire it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 12:35:26 PM EDT
I have an AAC brake on my 10.5 and it is retardedly loud without my suppressor. I actually have to wear foamies under my muffs or my ears will still ring if I just wear my muffs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:30:25 PM EDT
My opinion is that brakes on SBR's are great for prolonging the life of your can. If you don't plan on getting a can (you will somewhere down the road, it's the nature of the beast) or just don't plan to run one on this upper, then get something that will be a little easier on your ears. 5.56 is a pussycat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:40:56 PM EDT
Yeah that's the only reason I run a brake; to help with the abuse to my M4-2K. It also does a nice job of clearing out some room for me at the firing line when the can isn't attached.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:11:20 AM EDT
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm probably gonna just save my coin and leave the AAC Blackout that's on the 10.5 now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 8:24:41 AM EDT
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm probably gonna just save my coin and leave the AAC Blackout that's on the 10.5 now.

I have the AAC full brake on my 11.5, but the Blackout flash hider is what I would be running if I didn't want to prolong the life of my M4-2K.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 1:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2012 1:39:35 PM EDT by Vik]
AAC BRAKEOUT on a 10.5"

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:00:22 PM EDT
I also have the Breakout on my 10.5". In no way does it reduce flash... Use the Blackout or the Break.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:32:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:58:34 PM EDT
I was out shooting my 10.5" Noveske with a Battle Comp last weekend with a buddy who doesn't believe in eat protection. Before I busted that gun out we were shooting shotguns and 9mm. I tried to warn him of the sheer loudness of the gun yet he didn't want to put ear pro in. I got one shot off and his head was covered and head was ringing. He's an artillery guy in the Marine Corps and I'm an airborne infantry guy in the Army. He kept saying the gun was louder than a howitzer. Point.....It's loud....Stupid loud. If I wasn't possibly pcs'ing so soon Is definitely only shoot it with a can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:42:22 PM EDT
i tried a phanton brake on my 7.5 and 10.5.. and the flash is horrendous..

i bought a pair of miculek and hoping to divert the flash to the side more.. but i havn't shot it yet.. too busy at work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:43:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tweaker41:
I was out shooting my 10.5" Noveske with a Battle Comp last weekend with a buddy who doesn't believe in eat protection. Before I busted that gun out we were shooting shotguns and 9mm. I tried to warn him of the sheer loudness of the gun yet he didn't want to put ear pro in. I got one shot off and his head was covered and head was ringing. He's an artillery guy in the Marine Corps and I'm an airborne infantry guy in the Army. He kept saying the gun was louder than a howitzer. Point.....It's loud....Stupid loud. If I wasn't possibly pcs'ing so soon Is definitely only shoot it with a can.

he does not believe in ear protection? wha??? does his ear believe in its protection? LOL

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:14:49 AM EDT
I am waiting till I get home in a few weeks to build my first sbr it's a 10.5 with a ops inc brake I know it going to be loud but I don't care I can't wait
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:14:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2012 11:15:05 AM EDT by Pandamonium]
I've just stuck to a "Pig" on my 10.5" as any type of break is just to loud and offensive to people around you. This would be more so to team members in a close quarters situation. I have used breaks in competition with Norinco ammo and have video of it with flames going 2 feet out each side. This is great fun when there are other shooters on each side of you. Take a half step back and crack off a couple of rounds, they won't hit shit after that as they are to concerned with my muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 9:42:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pandamonium:
I've just stuck to a "Pig" on my 10.5" as any type of break is just to loud and offensive to people around you. This would be more so to team members in a close quarters situation. I have used breaks in competition with Norinco ammo and have video of it with flames going 2 feet out each side. This is great fun when there are other shooters on each side of you. Take a half step back and crack off a couple of rounds, they won't hit shit after that as they are to concerned with my muzzle blast.

How do the "pig" style brakes (I guess that's what it is?) sound compared to a standard side venting brake/comp? I had a Rainier RTC comp on my 5.45 rifle and it was stupid loud. I tried shooting it one time without both ear plugs in. I shot one round and actually thought my ear was bleeding. It rang for 4 days and the first 2 I thought I had f'ed my hearing up completely. It was bad. I like the pig style setup if it's quieter to the shooter than a standard brake is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2012 5:05:51 AM EDT by BRADLEYBUILT]
I hate brakes! Brakes are for those that hate their range buddys or for those with some rifle or anti armor gun that would break a normal mans shoulder
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:38:38 PM EDT
Haha. Not really sure. He seemed fine shooting everything else without ear pro although not sure why he would want to. I've got Tinnitus bad so I don't play around anymore without ear pro unless I can't help it. He also only owns a 20ga and .22 so I'm sure he's only shot whatever the corps issued him and thought I was just being a pussy or something.
Top Top