On page A20 of the December 20, 2001 Boston Globe article by Melissa Robinson reports that a Brady Center report calls for:
1) outlawing mail purchases of parts
2) making permanent the Federal ban on assault weapons
3) giving the FBI access to gun purchase records
4) retain gun purchase records for 6 months
5) place limits on large volume purchases
6) strengthen authority over gun dealers
Harry Waxman, Democrat, California is quoted as saying "Our gun laws are so weak that our country serves as a virtual arsenal for terrorists". He has asked the Bush administration to "restrict the domestic availability of .50-caliber sniper rifles that can take down aircraft".
What will they fabricate next?
The sky's the limit with this group. I heard the other day that they're spreading a rumor that Elvis was actually killed by a 50 cal cop-killer bullet out of a gun assembled by terrorists from parts they purchased at gun shows to avoid the background checks!
OK Let's look at this....
1. Parts need a lower. Lowers have serial numbers. Lowers need a NICS check.
2. Well the drive-by bayonetings have dropped......bayonets, Flash Hiders, and
ones choice of stock don't make the rifle anymore lethal.
3. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? If there are 270 mil. people
in the US and 10 % are criminals "Should the rest of us give up our rights?"
4. Within 6 months those records will be backed up and stored away. Even after
the originals are destroyed.
5. This one almost makes sense. But what is a volume purchase? My brother once bought the commemorative 1911 set at a gun show. Was this a volume purchase? Is my brother a terrorist or a collector?
6. The gun dealers in my state (that I deal with) have told me the paperwork now takes up 1/3 of their time. This means they have less time to focus on their business and customers.
The bottom line is the government and our national security would be better served increasing the background checks of would-be Foreign Students as well as other immigrants. Guns didn't play a roll in 9/11, the failure of our immigration laws did.
I think it is imperative that we write the idiots in Washington to counter the misinformation being spread by groups such as the Brady Center and the VPC. Political action is the only thing that will insure that stupid laws like the ones proposed here are not enacted.