Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 11:50:35 AM EDT
After years of AR-15 ownership, deciding that CETME's are more trouble than they're worth, and months and months of poring over this and countless other sites, I finally bought my first M1A yesterday.  Despite my skepicism after reading numerous QA issues with Springfield Armory, I picked up a "used" (although upon disassembly I found zero evidence of it ever having been fired) SA Scout yesterday from a dealer for a price that made me very happy.  Put about 100 rounds through it using PMC factory ammo, South African FMJ, and another milsurp that I don't recall.  Every round went through with no misbehavior whatsoever.  I think I'd like to have a detachable cheekrest on it, but, otherwise I love it as it is.  I briefly stuck the Trijicon Reflex from my M4 on it, but it sits way too high with the standard mount, so I took it back off immediately.  I need to look back through the archives to see what others have used for optics on this model.  The local range only goes out to 200 yards and is about the only game in town, so that and money will dictate what I buy.  Alright, enough ranting, just wanted to share the wealth of new gun euphoria!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Good deal. You will like it a hell of a lot more than the Cetme.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome, and congrats on your new rifle...Pics area now required on new purchases !!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nothing truer has ever been said. M1A's and Century built CETME's aren't even in the same league. Welcome to the dark world of 30 caliber.......nothing quite like it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Congrats and welcome! I'm still waiting on my Socom, I hope I have better luck than twonami.

Now you get to be lectured by all of the resident ARFCom ballistics experts about how much the socom sucks and the huge muzzle blast and blah blah blah

Oh, I have one too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is the Socom hated so much? I just got one a week ago and although I like it I am beginning to doubt my choice and wonder if I should have gotten a Scout model instead. What I do not understand is I haven't (yet) seen anything negative about the DPMS 308C AP4 carbine which has a 16" barrel. Is it because it is a SA M1A? I have not noticed any extraordinary muzzle blast from it and the compensator that no one seems to like actually works. I was of course using ear plugs when I shot it, but it didn't sound much louder than my 30-06. I'm not attempting to restart a debate or anything,; I'm simply curious and not liking the idea of spending (for me) quite a chunk of change on a rifle that I'm hearing some say is useless. I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon and I have already taken it deer hunting. The next time I shoot it I am going to bring my chronograph and see what the MV's are for several brands of ammo.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I finally bought my first M1A yesterday.  Despite my skepicism after reading numerous QA issues with Springfield Armory, I picked up a "used" SA Scout yesterday from a dealer for a price that made me very happy.

I love the little 18 so much - I will soon have two of them

When my Scout was in a walnut stock I used a Scope-ez strap-on cheek
rest from Brownells with my Aimpoint - it was cheap and worked 100%.

Post some pictures when you get the chance.

About the Socom:

Traditional M14/M1A purest don't care for anything short of 22".
When I purchased my Scout over 4 years ago the opinions and
comments were about the same as they are today for the Socom.
Even the muzzle blast and reduced muzzle velocity from the 18 were criticized...

What really matters is that you like the M14 type rifle that you
purchased with your money no matter what length the barrel is.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought my first M1A a few weeks ago myself. Very happy with it so far and I stocked up on mags at Midway for 10 bucks each. Sadly they are now gone and tho I bought 11 of them I wish I had bought more. Their site says it was a one time thing. [they were Korean type 57 mags but were pretty decent]

I will hit the gun show this weekend as there is one gent that sells a lot of GI m-14 stuff and his prices are pretty decent. I need a greaser, Bayo, and I'd like to find a GI stock. Of course there were several real nice stocks at the last show for fair prices that I am SURE will not be at this one.
Let us know how it runs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
good luck, I hope you have better luck than I did.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a specific question about the M1A's concerning the use of grease on the bolt roller and the roller groove. I have seen several references to greasing those parts. When I was in the Marines in the late sixties and was issued an M-14 prior to the complete switch to M-16's, we never greased those parts. A light oiling was all that was called for if I'm not mistaken.  Since I doubt I will see combat with mine, are they supposed to be greased on those parts?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a specific question about the M1A's concerning the use of grease on the bolt roller and the roller groove. I have seen several references to greasing those parts. When I was in the Marines in the late sixties and was issued an M-14 prior to the complete switch to M-16's, we never greased those parts. A light oiling was all that was called for if I'm not mistaken.  Since I doubt I will see combat with mine, are they supposed to be greased on those parts?

From what I have been able to find out these parts [roller, groove, and lugs are supposed to be greased. Oil just does not do it in these places. The mil probably did not do it as grease is icky and inspection would be a no go. Seriously, it should be greased in certain places.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Dang... I'm bummed that I didn't jump on the Midway cheap mags deal!

But at least I have 6 USGI mags on the way from Armalite.  

However I'm still waiting to experience my first M1A as it won't be until next month that I can afford to pay her off and bring her home.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hah. That's an understatement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why is the Socom hated so much? I just got one a week ago and although I like it I am beginning to doubt my choice and wonder if I should have gotten a Scout model instead. What I do not understand is I haven't (yet) seen anything negative about the DPMS 308C AP4 carbine which has a 16" barrel. Is it because it is a SA M1A? I have not noticed any extraordinary muzzle blast from it and the compensator that no one seems to like actually works. I was of course using ear plugs when I shot it, but it didn't sound much louder than my 30-06. I'm not attempting to restart a debate or anything,; I'm simply curious and not liking the idea of spending (for me) quite a chunk of change on a rifle that I'm hearing some say is useless. I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon and I have already taken it deer hunting. The next time I shoot it I am going to bring my chronograph and see what the MV's are for several brands of ammo.  

The SOCOM is usually hated by guys who've never shot one because they have a grudge against an M1A that isn't an M-14 clone.

You always hear the same old wive's tales:

That thar muzzle brake will blow your eardrums out!

The recoil from that thing will knock you over!

You can't hit shit with that short barrel!

You can't hit shit with them sights!

The gas system is unreliable!

The barrel isn't chrome lined so it'll rust and wear out!

The rail heats up! (this one is true)

Guys that do have one, or have spent some time shooting one will soon discover that most of that stuff is just grouchy rumblings from M1A purists with their panties in a wad.

It's a nice rifle and shoots well. $1400 price tag is up to you, but it has the best warranty in the business.

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate to do it, I really do, but I have to say that the SOCOM is an abortion.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my SOCOM II and if thats an abortion the clinic is open and you can bring them all to me. I will gladly take the poor unwanted bastard children off of your hands for a modest fee.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got my SOCOM 16 a couple of weeks ago, and I must say that I enjoy shooting it almost as much as my AR15. Being in "Cali" we're runnig out of options. Don't knock it til you've shot one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Carry on.

I have to agree with you on that Goblin. I don't begrudge others buying and loving their SOCOM. But for me, both usefullness and aesthetics factor in my gun-buying decisions. And I just happen to LOVE the classic, timeless beauty of the M14-style rifle. That long, slender sexy barrel with long flash-hider on the end balances perfectly with the slim Garand-style stock. It looks very symetrical that way and "perfect". In fact, I prefer the Standard black fiberglass stock because I like the way it slopes up ahead of the magazine and it makes the forestock slimmer and more "sexy" than the Match or wood stocks. Now, chop off the barrel and the whole image changes for me. It went from a supermodel to a stocky nurse of East German descent.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Socom  may not be a purists ideal....but I never got interested in the M14 until the introduction of the Socom. It is generating ALOT of interest in people who would've never given M14s or M1As a second look.

I will give Springfield Armory kudos for trying, however. Heck, everybody's trying to modify and update the AR these days, I don't begrudge SA for attempting to do the same with the venerable M1A.

The most aesthetically pleasing rifle ever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
congrats
another M14 owner...

Im a Full Size M14 type owner myself. i like them all. have many with another on the way....
it is one awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies!  

After shooting my scout for the first time last Sunday, I wonder why I waited so long to get an M1A.  I'm curious as to what anyone else is using (if anything) for optics on this particular model.  Also, I'm wondering what is the average length of time that elapses before scout or SOCOM owners buy a full sized version.  For some reason, I see something longer and more expensive (I "only" paid $1200 for my unfired Scout) in my future.  Although first I need more magazines, M1A specific tools, etc, etc, etc.  

As for the CETME, I have one, but have only shot it on 3 or 4 occassions.  I've taken it to the range a number of other times but never uncased it to avoid the inevetable aggravation that would follow.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

After shooting my scout for the first time last Sunday, I wonder why I waited so long to get an M1A.
I'm curious as to what anyone else is using (if anything) for optics on this particular model.

Also, I'm wondering what is the average length of time that elapses before scout or SOCOM owners buy a full sized version.  

If you are useing the forward mount then a Leupold Scout scope or Aimpoint are your best optic choices.
You want to mount them as low as possible.

My Scout was my first M14 type rifle - after 4 years I'm building another one with an 18" barrel.
Nothing wrong with 22" - I just don't need it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After shooting my scout for the first time last Sunday, I wonder why I waited so long to get an M1A.
I'm curious as to what anyone else is using (if anything) for optics on this particular model.

Also, I'm wondering what is the average length of time that elapses before scout or SOCOM owners buy a full sized version.  

If you are useing the forward mount then a Leupold Scout scope or Aimpoint are your best optic choices.
You want to mount them as low as possible.

My Scout was my first M14 type rifle - after 4 years I'm building another one with an 18" barrel.
Nothing wrong with 22" - I just don't need it.

I have a standard 22" model with a scout mount.  I use a Burris 2.5x scout scope.  

Works pretty well.  I even added a target knob to the elevation screw for bullet drop compensation

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have a standard 22" model with a scout mount.
I use a Burris 2.5x scout scope. Works pretty well.  
I even added a target knob to the elevation screw for bullet drop compensation

That is a sweet set up Spartacus!  I really like the BD knob mod - very slick.

I may have to copy your mod on the Leupold M8 I'm running on my MOUT rifle.

I can't wait to get this rifle up and running...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry on.

I have to agree with you on that Goblin. I don't begrudge others buying and loving their SOCOM. But for me, both usefullness and aesthetics factor in my gun-buying decisions. And I just happen to LOVE the classic, timeless beauty of the M14-style rifle. That long, slender sexy barrel with long flash-hider on the end balances perfectly with the slim Garand-style stock. It looks very symetrical that way and "perfect". In fact, I prefer the Standard black fiberglass stock because I like the way it slopes up ahead of the magazine and it makes the forestock slimmer and more "sexy" than the Match or wood stocks. Now, chop off the barrel and the whole image changes for me. It went from a supermodel to a stocky nurse of East German descent.

You don't make love to the damn thing.  You shoot the piss out of it.   And on top of that, those girls would never let you rub lithium grease in their cracks.  Don't get the 2 confused.

I agree with you though the 22" looks the best.  But looks and utility is 2 different things.  Rock on socom owners!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top