Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 8:38:40 PM EDT
So I'm looking to polish the bore and chamber of my Mosin.
I saw on Midway there were some bullets you could load to fire and polish... but I'm not sure how I feel about loading 7.62x54R brass right now.

Anyone have a few tips? Maybe a youtube link? I did a quick search, but i must fail at searches. Everything I found was poor quality. Also, my polishing abilities are... well not good. I did Wax on a boat at work (USCG 41ft), a few years back and my BM2 fired me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2015 8:52:27 PM EDT by Dano523]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:02:35 AM EDT
It's in pretty decent condition. It has minor pitting, I just want to clean it up some. More of a make it nicer kind of thing. When I'm on my game it shoots nice, but its one of those... Maybe it can shoot better things.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:03:45 AM EDT
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/shooting-usa-jb-bore-cleaning-kit-prod60287.aspx
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:18:04 PM EDT
As linked to above, Brownell's JB Bore Paste will thoroughly clean and lightly polish the bore.
They also sell JB Bore Bright, which is a slightly finer type that will bring up whatever shine the bore is capable of.

JB was first used by the Bench Rest shooter crowd to get a bore absolutely clean as possible without harming it.
It's easy to use, all you need is a good one-piece cleaning rod, either polished stainless steel or carbon fiber and some good cotton flannel patches.  Kroil is not a necessity, but will speed up cleaning of fouling.
Dewey is sort of the "standard" in rods.  Don't use a screw-together rod or aluminum or brass rods.

This is probably the safest way to clean and shine up a fouled or frosty bore with no risk of harming it.
Be aware that "removing" frost or light pitting from a gun barrel requires removing metal.  Enough metal that any accuracy is going to be gone for good.
The fire lapping kits can be good in some cases, but I've seen a few good barrels ruined by improper use trying to get a bore to shine.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:03:21 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
As linked to above, Brownell's JB Bore Paste will thoroughly clean and lightly polish the bore.
They also sell JB Bore Bright, which is a slightly finer type that will bring up whatever shine the bore is capable of.

JB was first used by the Bench Rest shooter crowd to get a bore absolutely clean as possible without harming it.
It's easy to use, all you need is a good one-piece cleaning rod, either polished stainless steel or carbon fiber and some good cotton flannel patches.  Kroil is not a necessity, but will speed up cleaning of fouling.
Dewey is sort of the "standard" in rods.  Don't use a screw-together rod or aluminum or brass rods.

This is probably the safest way to clean and shine up a fouled or frosty bore with no risk of harming it.
Be aware that "removing" frost or light pitting from a gun barrel requires removing metal.  Enough metal that any accuracy is going to be gone for good.
The fire lapping kits can be good in some cases, but I've seen a few good barrels ruined by improper use trying to get a bore to shine.

View Quote

Perfect, thank you. I'll be going this route
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:39:58 PM EDT
If you look at the Brownell's page on JB Bore Paste I think that have a video link that shows how to use it.
Top Top