Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2001 4:43:03 PM EDT
Thinking of buying another upper. Is it OK to switch the bolt and charging handle between the two?

I have read of headspace problems after awhile.

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically this is a bad idea. The bolt wears to match the locking lugs of the barrel extension. Switching the same bolt back and forth between the two is a bad thing as it will excellerate wear.

You can however switch bolt carriers and charging handles - a new bolt will run you $50 for your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do swap I would get the gun head spaced before you shoot it again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes don't switch back and forth. Installing is fine. Any product meeting Military Specs will be headspaced.

BrassEaster
Now just tell my how you are going to headspace it. Do you even understand the process involved?

To headspace the rifle you would have to take it to a custom gun smith who can remove the barrel extension from the barrel set it back and re-index it so the site tower is top dead center. Any just why would you do this since every bolt is made to military specs and virtually every barrel comes from the factory with the barrel ext. already indexed and installed and headspaced to accept the military spec. bolt
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think he means to check headspace between bolt swaps.

But why risk a kaboom when for $50 you can get a dedicated bolt?

Remember the bolt shortage of 1999? I've still got some put away for the next
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The "gage, headspace, field" sells for between $10 and $30 still sealed in the USGI aluminum/mylar bag with gage card sealed inside.

Takes longer to type this than confirm the headspace is OK.

Swapping bolts WILL result in more wear on the bolt, but wear to the point of failing the gage check will take a long time.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Just takes a second (or two) to check.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry DH  Have it CHECKED for headspace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I never really looked into this headspace stuff. Am I correct in thinking that if there is a headspace problem, the cartridge case has more room to expand and thus rupture and cause a major blowup.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
A headspace problem will NOT cause a major blowup in the AR-15.  I have personally tested this and you will end up having an immediate case seperation in the middle of the case, but nothing comes apart in the gun.  If you have not personally tested this, don't spout your mouth here.  I am tired of hearing second hand BS on the subject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top